*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/549476-Progress-Maybe
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1348631
The struggles my husband and I went through when our daughter was born 11 weeks premature.
#549476 added November 20, 2007 at 6:44am
Restrictions: None
Progress? Maybe?

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

This is Cadence at 2.5 pounds.

This is a journal entry from August 25, 2007


My baby Cadence has grown well over two pounds now. She is still having trouble with her belly (her digestive system is underdeveloped) and she had to have an X-ray yesterday. She will also stop breathing for brief periods of time, called Apnea, but this is normal for premature babies. Because her brain is immature, it forgets to signal her body to breathe. This is supposed to stop by the time she is 36 weeks or so.

The good news is, she is gaining weight pretty rapidly. She is being fed intraveniously, but she is tolerating the maximum amount of food allowed. She can breathe on her own without a respirator. She can maintain her own body temperature, so I was finally able to hold her last time I visited her at the hospital. The nurses have said that soon she will be moved to an open air crib, and out of the incubator.

This has been a difficult journey so far. I have been told that Cadence will take three steps forward and two steps back as she grows and develops. Hopefully my husband and I will be able to bring her home to us in about seven more weeks.


© Copyright 2007 C Blackmon (UN: redheadgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
C Blackmon has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/549476-Progress-Maybe