*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/512726
Rated: 18+ · Book · Mystery · #1256225
Spy/Mystery Novel I have been working on.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#512726 added June 3, 2007 at 6:23pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 1 (in progress of being fully added)
Dark storm clouds hung overhead sending loud crashes of thunder echoing off the surrounding mountains.  The air felt damp and humid.  Kylie jumped as a particularly loud crack of thunder reverberated off the sides of the valley, the lightning momentarily making everything bright as day and then just as quickly plunging it back into darkness.  It had been like this all day and on into the night making her already raw nerves tingle with irritation and fear.  It was all but impossible to hear if anyone was approaching with all the noise this damn storm was making.  She wished it would just rain and get it over with.

Pushing her bangs off her forehead she positioned herself further back into the small crevice in the rocks trying to make herself invisible.  Wiping a trickle of sweat off the side of her neck she peered into the darkness watching for any movement.  Shit!  Where the hell was her back up?  Kylie had managed to get an emergency message out on her small transmitter before the search party had driven her out of range and into the valley.

The Company had said they would send someone out, but then again, she was expendable.  Of course, she had made herself less so by refusing to say what she had found, if anything.  Let Nathan Jarvis have a hissy if he wanted, Kylie had been an operative long enough to know how to stay alive and necessary.

The first rain drop hit the rocks in front of her making a loud plopping sound.  The rest quickly followed as the drops became a torrential downpour soaking everything, including Kylie, within seconds.  Great, just absolutely great!  If it was hard to see anything before, it was now impossible and to top it all off she felt like she was drowning.

"A simple little mission."  That's what Jarvis had said.  "Get in, retrieve the chip and slip back out."  Well he'd been right about the first part.  Getting into Deveroux's had been simple.  As a matter of fact retrieving the chip was fairly easy as well.  For someone with as much money as Deveroux you would think he could have afforded a better safe, not to mention better security.  Kylie had gotten the safe open in just a few minutes, no problem.  After that, well, things had gone a little oh say, downhill.  Literally.  As she had been replacing the painting over the safe, one of the maids came in, took one look at Kylie, and let loose one of the loudest and highest pitched shrieks she'd ever heard.  It had probably shattered every glass in the house with the noise she had been making.


Kylie'd been forced to make a rather hasty and not very graceful exit through the patio screen, down the hill in the back of the house and into the jungle.  Away from town and into the middle of nowhere, smack into a box canyon. 

She wasn't sure how many were after her.  She had seen at least five at different times of the day in the distance.  Under any other circumstance she would have found so many men pursuing her to be flattering, but now was really not the best time.

And so, here she was, sitting around waiting for that ass Jarvis to get someone to assist in saving her hide and she, at least, felt that it was a hide very worth saving.

The rain had slowed down to a drizzle and a nice breeze was picking up making things a little more comfortable.  A twig snapped and she heard rustling in the bushes about six feet to her right.  Carefully and quietly shifting her position, Kylie took a sighting along the wet, gleaming barrel of her gun, her heart pounding in her chest. 
© Copyright 2007 Christine K. Beyersdorf (UN: chriskb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Christine K. Beyersdorf has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/512726