*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/501576-On-Parenting-Parental-Relationship-Changes
Rated: 18+ · Book · Emotional · #954458
Bare and uncensored personal expression. Beware!!!
#501576 added April 13, 2007 at 10:13pm
Restrictions: None
On Parenting: Parental Relationship Changes
Do you "Judg[e] your own parents differently after you become a parent"?

It’s amazing how quickly we grow up with expansion from couple to family. A new child is suddenly a huge responsibility. I remember looking down on my daughter the day she was born. I was a very young parent but in that moment I think I aged ten years. Suddenly I wasn’t carefree, I had a daughter, and she was the most important thing in my world.

Reflecting on that experience makes me feel connected with all the mothers around the world. Each of us has had this wonder of creating life and being everything that newborn needs and wants. As the years pass everything we are is molded into this child. We form who they become. Our hand leaves life-long marks on the character of this little person and everything influences the adult they’ll grow to be.

In those few minutes I came to truly respect, appreciate and be thankful for my own mother. The respect and love continued to grow through every sleepless night, every dirty diaper, every shirt covered in spit-up, every baby-food smeared hairstyle, grazed knees, and illness. The wonder and amazement grew with every smile, hug, step, and the echoing, unforgettable calls of, “Mum-ma”.

I think becoming a parent gives us a new understanding of everything our own parents went through when raising us. I look back on my childhood, one of seven children, and realize that my parents are truly remarkable people. Every hard day I have with my children is something my parents went through with me and my siblings.

I also gain confidence when I remember that the things that made me happiest as a child were the simple things. We didn’t need a lot of money or the latest toys, we just needed each other. I know I can do a good job with my kids, because I had great examples of loving and caring.

My mother is responsible for the wonderful person I grew up to be. She’s the reason I can be the kind of mother I am for my own children. Being a parent is definitely the hardest thing anyone could ever do and I’ve learnt to forgive, understand, appreciate, respect, and love a thousand-fold the people who cared for me as a child.



© Copyright 2007 Rebecca Laffar-Smith (UN: rklaffarsmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rebecca Laffar-Smith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/501576-On-Parenting-Parental-Relationship-Changes