*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/496285
Rated: 18+ · Book · Sci-fi · #1235169
Jack Dresden's surreal, mind-numbing journey into the unknown.
#496285 added March 22, 2007 at 12:05am
Restrictions: None
Surveillence
4.          Surveillance


        “No relations, no employment, no obligations.” the man said shuffling through files on his desk. The room was small with two office chairs and one rectangular table with a computer and large amount of paperwork. One lamp lit the room.

        “A Nobody.” another man replied. He was leaning in the corner, drinking a cup of coffee. “You’ve found him, Steve. And for that I congratulate you.”

        Steve was facing the computer. He began typing then quickly looked up at the monitor. It captured Jack Dresden’s every movement.

        “I can’t believe I passed him off to the heads, though. It’s so unsettling to think about what will happen to him.” Steve replied.

        “Well, you’re benefiting quite well, I’d imagine.” said the other.

        “Yes but…” Steve stuttered, trying to find the words. “Is this even legal?”

        The man across from him stood up from his lean and walked over to the desk. He bent down towards Steve and looked him in the eye.

        “It doesn’t matter.” He said in a soft, deep voice. The man propped himself up and began to walk back to his corner.

        “And besides…” he explained, “This organization is under the one who makes the rules.” He paused for a moment. “You know which that is, right?”

        “The government?” Steve hesitantly questioned.
     
        “No—the industry.”

        The “industry”, as it had been, was the name for the giant conglomerate that had taken stock in most major companies across the world. It used to have formal name but it served no purpose and, much like many of its employees, was discontinued. It controlled most of the scientific research, technological advancement, mass media and entertainment. In effect, it controlled the culture and lives of over a billion people. In effect, it was the government. This is why it didn’t matter.

        “Still…” Steve said softly. “Isn’t this...” he stuttered once more.

        “Isn’t this what?” the man spoke loudly. “Morally wrong?”

        Steve took a little while for a response. He adjusted his glasses nervously.

        “I suppose.” he said finally.

        The other man shook his head. “There is no need for those anymore.” the man argued. He took another sip of his coffee. “Morals, that is…”

        “He’s a perfect candidate, this fellow. You should be proud of your find.”

        “We are talking about a human being here, aren’t we?” Steve said sarcastically.

        “You of all people should know what this means to all of us. I mean, this…this man is the type of person we’ve been waiting for.” The man said, pointing to the computer screen. “Just look how well he follows orders!”

        The screen captured Jack Dresden walking through the stairwell door, then standing still, as if in thought.

        “The good thing about this fellow is he doesn’t have any kind of moral conscience.” he explained. “You know, no ethical nonsense to hold him back.”

        “But Jess…” Steve began.

        “Don’t start now, Steve. There’s nothing you can do now anyway, except knowing that you made the right decision.” he explained.

        Steve turned off the monitor and slowly stood up to face Jess. The two men starred at each other for a minute. Steve checked his watch while Jess took another sip of coffee.

        “Neither of us know what this is actually for…” Steve whispered.

        “Well, anything is better than nothing, you know.” Jess stated. “And in the current state of this country—hell this whole planet, we need some big miracle. You know, the kind they promised.”

        Steve was uneasy. He starred down at the floor, listening to Jess’ justification.
        “We’re all part of the bigger picture. For the good of all…and such and such.” Jess explained, waving his hands and trying to sound important. Steve sighed, looked up and nodded to his partner.

        “You’re right…I shouldn’t be worried.” Steve spoke softly.

        “Exactly.” he replied. He walked over to Steve and put his hand on his shoulder as if to say something significant. “Let’s get back to work.”

        Steve sat back down in his chair, turned the screen back on, and adjusted his glasses once more before beginning to type. Jess returned to his corner, sipped more of his coffee, and looked on at Steve’s work. The screen showed Jack Dresden standing there in the threshold between the room and the stairwell.

        “What are they gonna do to him?” Steve asked.

        “Hell if I know.” Jess responded, taking another sip of his coffee. “But they sure ain’t gonna kill him.”
© Copyright 2007 Timeaisis (UN: timeaisis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Timeaisis has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/496285