*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/466491-World-Again
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Book · Horror/Scary · #1175129
World Again (horror-Sci-Fi) Early Stages.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#466491 added November 13, 2006 at 5:34am
Restrictions: None
World Again
World Again

One 8-13-06


The wind pushed hard against Zane's battered face. His left eye was swollen shut and the blood running down his cheek from it was dry and cracking. His right eye leaked tears in resistance to the wind. The blurred shape of a building was trying to form in front of him. He had been walking toward this unreachable image for what seemed like hours. The pain in his head kept him from any accurate time frame. Still he pushed on; knowing that shelter from the oncoming storm was a necessity. Death would be the only other alternative. For the second time, the long flowing black cloak found a way to trip him, spilling him to the earth. A fresh wave of pain tore through his head. He forced himself to his feet and tried to ignore the pain as best he could. Thoughts of tossing the cloak to the ground left just as fast as they arrived. It had served as a blanket more times than he cared to count. As a way of diverting his thoughts he dragged up the memories that had brought him on this rogue adventure in the first place.

Two 8-14-06

There had been a struggle to find sleep in the past three hours for Zane. Something had been keeping him awake even though his body was protesting in every way. The Inn-keeper promised no interruptions and had up to this point kept his word. The “Three Moon Hideaway” (as the hotel was called) offered a good arrangement of bedrooms and with a fully operating swimming pool. In this modern day world that was something to marvel at. But Zane didn’t have the time to enjoy it as he would normally like to have done. A little rest and he would be on his way. Of course rest wasn’t coming and time was running even shorter. His hand went to his chest and absently pulled out the key that dangled on the chain around his neck. He rubbed his fingers across it for a while feeling the well known paths. Every bump and crevice was familiar ground.
Suddenly the door exploded, careening across the room. It crashed into the wall sending splinters of wood out everywhere. Some of the shards caught Zane on his right side as he flinched from the sudden interruption. Already he could feel warm blood on his shoulder and ribcage. His mind scrambled for answers, trying to make sense of everything that was happening and what the next course of action was. Rolling off the bed and onto the floor, he saw his backpack lying close to the bathroom entrance. Knowing it was too late to grab the guns inside, he jumped to his feet and ran toward the gaping spot where the door should have been. Already two men were making their way in through the dust and debris. He lowered his undamaged shoulder and rammed into one of them, hearing ribs crack and break from the force of the impact. A groan escaped from him as he hit the wall outside the bedroom and slumped to the ground. The other character shot his hand around to his back, no doubt to get his iron out, but it was too late for him as well. Zane turned around just in time to see the dumbfounded look slip off the thugs face and change into one of realization. Just as the burly man’s hand was getting ready to seize the gun tucked in the back of his jeans, Zane grabbed his arm and pushed it up behind his back hard enough that it snapped with a loud click. A scream erupted from him as he fell to his knees. Just as he landed Zane brought his knee up and put it in the guys face. Blood rushed out in a flood.
Sickish groans was coming from both guys now, but Zane hardly noticed. He was already halfway across the room getting his pack. He knew he had to get out of there. Others would surely be coming. Just as that thought crossed his mind, a voice called his name from outside the room.
“Zane!” it called in a deep throaty voice. It was as if someone was talking through a mouthful of water. Zane knew that the owner of the voice would have sores and scabs all over him. That was one of the problems of this new world. “The Mark” as people called the disease had assailed to a fifth of the people still alive. Maybe it was some kind of radiation poisoning or something in the water. No one knew where it had came from and there was no cure for it as of yet. The only thing that was for sure was that it was not contagious and it took years to kill a person, leaving them plenty of time to suffer from its agonizing stages.
“Zane, we just want to talk to you.” the voice continued.
“You should have knocked if all you wanted to do was talk.” Zane retaliated, buying himself some time to open his pack and bring out “The Twins.” They were two Ruger KP95s and well taken care of. Guns like these were unheard of anymore and where priceless treasures. Quietly lying on the ground and raising a gun to the wall to the left of the door he fired off a single shot. The report rang in Zane’s ears giving him a buzzing sound that sounded like a swarm of bees. The response was immediate. Bullets started flying through the wall; leaving holes, puncturing the bed and the outside wall. The window there shattered and pieces of glass crashed to the floor. The noise was almost as loud as when the door was blown across the room. This let Zane know a few things. First, was that there were several people outside the room, and secondly, that they worked for “Jacob.” He was the only one that had such firepower and his followers were everywhere.
“Well, you didn’t want to talk over a cup of tea, now did you?” Zane said, barely holding back a laugh. He felt almost insane. Here he was, with God knew how many people outside his room wanting to kill him and he was popping off wise cracks and laughing.
“Zane, we want the key.” A different voice called this time. Clearer and easier to understand. Zane‘s hand went instantly to the chain on his neck and slid down to the key hanging there. He quickly tucked it under his shirt. “You do have it don’t you? Sure you do. Boss told us so. He also told us we can let you live if you hand it over without a fight. In thirty seconds we are going to come into the room. You can give it to us or we can take it. Your choice.”
Giving off a little chuckle Zane rolled over to the wall and sat his back to it. “Hell, if all you wanted was this stupid key, I would have given it to you. I don’t even know what it opens. Here.” Reaching into his pocket he pulled out a quarter and tossed it about a foot shy of the door. It fell with the sound he was looking for. A nice ‘clank’. There was a scuffling sound from outside and then three guys appeared in the doorway. They had to step over their fallen comrade who lay still in the hall. He now lay on his side and the moans coming from him, as well as the other guy, were so low you could barely hear them. Two of the men now entering the room were well built husky fellows. The third was a short and chubby man. Just as Zane thought, he had scabs in several places. Some of them had nasty pus oozing out from them. The sight made Zane want to gag. In his hands he held a machine gun.
Instead he pushed himself to his feet using the wall for support. The pain in his ribs and shoulder from the door shrapnel was taking its toll. He hated the grunt that escaped him.
“What the fuck is th…” One of the thugs said as he bent over to grab the quarter. That was as far as he got. Zane brought his gun up and let a bullet fly. The top of his skull exploded leaving a sizable part of his face missing. Blood sprayed over the pants and shoes of the other two still standing. As he looked up to deal with the dead man’s friends, something came flying at him and made contact with his face. Zane thought it might have been a magazine clip but that was as far as he was allowed to wonder. His left eye blurred right away and his right tried to do the same in sympathy for its partner. A gunshot went off and Zane felt the wind as the bullet grazed past his head. He brought his guns up and started shooting in front of him, hoping that maybe he would get lucky and hit one of them or both. His good eye was starting to clear up, but it still wasn’t enough. He jumped headfirst onto the bed and landed hard. The legs gave out and it crashed to the floor loudly. Looking up, he saw that the other big thug was down and Shorty was trying to get his oversized machine gun working. Zane shot again this time aiming for the gun. It remained in the little guy’s hands but chunks of steel went flying everywhere. The already destroyed face of the man holding it was now missing chunks of skin and his chest was torn up pretty bad as well. He was still alive though and that was what Zane wanted. Jumping to his feet he ran over to him and kicked him to the ground.
“What does Jacob want with the key, you son of a bitch?” He roared at him as he put his foot on his neck holding him to the ground. The rank smell of sweat and disease filled Zane‘s nose demanding that he gag. He hated himself for having a weakness. Anytime there was a foul odor, his stomach did flips. He forced himself on regardless. “Tell me, or I’ll blow a fucking hole through your head.”
This, for some reason, sent Shorty into a gale of laughter that somehow ended up in a coughing fit. When he finally regained some control he went on. “You stupid shit.” he said as drops of spit flew from his mouth. “Jacob doesn’t tell us anything. He gives the orders and we follow them. I don’t know what he wants with the key any more than you do. Looks like you’re just going to have to shoot me.”
Anger flushed through Zane as he loosed two shots from one of the twins. Both grazed the top of Shorty’s head. The scream that came from him was the loudest noise that Zane had heard all night.
“What’s your name little guy?” He asked after a moment.
“Just fucking shoot me and be done with it. Who fucking cares what my name is?” Shorty replied through sobs of pain.
“I care and you should as well,” Zane said smiling, wondering why exactly it was so important to him that he gained this man’s name. “I’m taking either your life or your name with me when I leave this room.” The look on the fat guys face let Zane know he understood. There must have been something about Zane’s smile that scared him. He went on. “I have a message for Jacob and you’re going to be the one to deliver it if you simply tell me your name.”
“My name is Robert Metcalf.” He wheezed
“Ok Rob,” He said. “It is okay that I call you Rob?” He asked and when the fat little guy nodded that it was okay, Zane went on. “This is my message; tell Jacob if he wants the key so bad he can come get it himself. Tell him that I will kill every man he sends my way and if he pisses me off enough I’ll come kill him. Tell him there is at least one person left on this earth that is not afraid of him. Tell him is name is Zane Morris. Think you can handle that?”
“Of course I can.” Robert said. “If I live long enough to get to him. You fucked me up pretty bad here.”
“Well you didn’t do me too many favors either. Just make sure he hears it or I’ll come looking for you.” Zane Paused and smiled at him. “Now that I know who you are.” Zane told himself to talk to the innkeeper about his promise of no interruptions. With that he grabbed his bag and left the room.

Three 8-16-06

Now that he was drawing near to the building that seemed so far away just a few moments before, Zane heard the crashing sound of thunder. The storm was almost upon him. Forcing himself to push on even harder he finally made it to the front doors. Pulling hard on the handles, he tried to open them. A snug resistance met him and refused him entrance. The tiredness in him pushed him to his knees. Again he tried to get back up but this time he was overwhelmed with dizziness. As darkness stole over him, the irony of getting this far, only to pass out at the foot of his salvation washed over him. Once more he couldn’t help but let a small insane laugh escape his lips as death beckoned at the door.


Four 8-17-06

Dim lights clouded the room Zane woke up in. It was just enough for him to take in his surroundings. The place was simple enough. The bleak walls held no portraits or paintings of any kind and were painted a disturbing mauve. The couch and loveseat across from the bed he was in reflected the same pukish color. There were two doors on either side of him. One stood agape like a large mouth. A toilet was barely visible like a pill sitting on the back of a tongue just before it gets swallowed. The other door was shut tight, letting a radiant glow spill from the crack underneath.
After a brief struggle with dizziness Zane managed to stand up and make his way to the door. The vast room outside was what seemed to be a cafeteria. Tables littered the room amidst a sea of white tiled floor. What surprised Zane the most was how clean, and in order everything seemed to be. This traditionally unorganized and confused world scarcely offered such. A round table close to the center of the room had five people sitting around it. They were all engrossed in silent grace for the meal that sat before them. An old man in a light blue collared shirt finished his prayer and started to say something to the rest of his group.
“Well, now that we’ve…” he trailed off when he saw Zane standing there. He thoughtfully stroked his well trimmed beard and then said, “Zane, how very nice it is to see you up and about.” Four heads swung around so fast to look at him that he thought he might hear bones cracking any moment. They all stared at him as if he were a ghost. The aged man’s voice remained placid. “Why don’t you go back into your room, put some clothes on and join us for our meal? It’s still hot but I doubt you would enjoy it much sitting in your drawers.”
Looking down at his waist, Zane noticed for the first time that he was in fact, standing in nothing but his underwear and his necklace with the key dangling from it. Smiling in spite of his awkward situation he said “I think you would enjoy it even less!” The old man gave a toothy grin and a young girl sitting next to him started to laugh but quickly withdrew it when she realized no one else was laughing along with her. “By the way,” Zane went on, “How is it you know my name?”
“Your clothes are at the end of your bed in your bag.” The old man said ignoring Zane’s question entirely. “While you are putting them on, Tara will fetch you a plate of this wonderful food. We will give you any answers you like after we eat.”
Zane realized the only way he was going to get answers from these people was to abide by their rules. At least for a while. Back in his room he slipped into his faded blue jeans and black denim shirt. He found them right were he had been told they would be. They were washed and folded neatly with his worn out shoes set close by.
Once fully dressed, he dug deeper into the pack and found that his pistols and other supplies had not been touched. That was a relief. He made his way to the bathroom and looked in the mirror to find he had the starts of a beard. He was going to have to ask these people where he could get a shave.


Five 8-19-06

Once outside and at the table, Zane was introduced to everyone. The old man was named Aaron Donovich. Zane took an instant liking to him. He was bold and seemed to be made of brass. The young gal that fetched his dinner, was called Tara Frank. She looked to be close to twenty-five. She was attractive, with appealing blue eyes and dark brown hair. Liana Goodman was next in line. She was either in her late forties or early fifties. A minority of gray strands had found their way to her otherwise pitch black hair. She was a bony lady, but to counter that she looked to have a rugged strength that took away any fragile look that might otherwise show in her. The last two at the table were Stephen and Melissa Gardner. Both had dusty blond hair and both looked like the other. Twins, Zane supposed. He guessed their age to be around seventeen.
They ate their meal in almost complete silence, with the occasional “Can you pass the potatoes?” or “Where is the salt?” The meal consisted chicken, fried and greasy, mashed potatoes with gravy, and a pot full of corn on the cob. Zane wondered were all these things had come from. But he ate greedily and his stomach put up no argument.
After the plates had almost been completely emptied and everyone seemed content, Aaron told the two youngest that they had clean up duty for the night. Zane was surprised that they went right to it without complaint. Arms loaded with dirty dishes, they both disappeared behind a door next to the room Zane had slept in. Aaron then turned his attention to Zane.
“I must apologize to you, Zane, for leaving your questions unanswered for so long.” He said. “But I have made it a point to enjoy my meals before I do any business. Maybe I can make it up to you with this.” From somewhere up his sleeve, he produced a pack of smokes. He smiled when he saw the bewildered look on Zane’s face.
Zane snatched the pack of smokes out of the air when Aaron tossed them over. An old steel lighter followed and that also was caught on the fly. As they sat and talked, both men and Liana smoked. Tara refused the offer but sat close by anyways.
“I suppose you want answers and we are willing to provide them to your heart’s content.” Aaron said. “Well, Tara and Liana will do most of the answering and I will just add to things as we go along.”
“First, I would like to know how you know me.” Zane said as he released a cloud of smoke from his mouth. A feeling of lightheadedness overwhelmed him, but he welcomed it.
Liana was the one to answer. “You did a lot of talking while you were down with the fever, we learned a lot about you.”
Zane was about to ask her what she meant when Aaron spoke up.
“Liana, for the most part, took care of you while you were out, Zane. You probably owe your life to her. She has been reading every medical book she can get her hands on and has become our resident nurse, you might say.” At that, Liana blushed and turned her head away.
“He owes his life more to Eddie than to me.” she said after a moment. Then seeing the confused look on his face she went on. “Eddie, Adam and Sarah are three more of our group. They are out right now, but Ed was the one that found you on our doorstep.”
“He was having one of his sleepless nights the day you showed up.” Tara popped in. “He was going out for a walk before the storm had hit and found you around midnight. But don’t let Liana be so modest, she was the only one of us that knew what to do. She brought your fever down and has barely left your side since you came here.”
“Well it looks like I owe thanks to you both, and I am grateful.” Zane said crushing out his cigarette and lighting another. He was enjoying talking to these three; they seemed in harmony with each other. “When can I say the same to this Eddie guy?” he asked.
“That might be in a few days,” Stephen answered, as he and Melissa came back from the kitchen. A large tray was in Melissa’s hands. On it sat six large glasses that she started handing out at once. “Eddie is always out searching for new things.” Stephen went on, “He brings most of our supplies here and always tries to get things for us that we each enjoy.”
“Like this wine.” Melissa said cheerily as she handed one to Zane. “Don’t worry; Stephen and I are drinking Kool-Aid. Aaron won’t let us have anything like that.” The last came out in a resigned voice; like this was something they had talked about more than once.
“What is this place?” Zane asked suddenly, directing it to Aaron. “You have everything a man could want. First a dinner fit for a lord, smokes after, electricity, plumbing and now wine and Kool-Aid! That’s not even to mention how well taken care of this place is.”
It wasn’t Aaron who answered but Tara, “We call this place ‘The Bridge’. What we do here is a story in and of itself, I think you’ll hear all of that later.” She looked at the old man and he nodded to confirm that Zane would indeed hear the story of the bridge later.
“Okay,” Zane went on, “Tell me this. There is something different about you all. I can’t put my finger on it but I swear you act different than most anyone else I have met in the last two years. Almost like you are smarter than others, but that’s not right either.” Whatever it was, Zane couldn’t grasp it. It was right in front of him, but yet miles away. For some reason his mind brought up images of Jacob, whom he had only seen once.


Zane had been walking through a town in Ohio called Willard a few years ago. As he walked up Main Street, he noticed a crowd gathered at what looked like an old train depot. On top of a well painted train car stood Jacob. He was a greying old man that looked fragile and underfed. In front of the train car he was on, five people knelt. Their hands were tied behind their backs and brown burlap sacks had been tied over their faces. The crowd was going crazy. At first Zane thought it was in outrage, but as he drew closer he realized it was excitement.
The bellowing voice of Jacob came thundering down on the crowd. A bullhorn was in one hand and in the other was a pistol.
“This,” he said, “is what happens to those who oppose me.” Bringing the gun up, he aimed it at the first in the row. A shot rang out as the person fell the rest of the way to the ground. The other four flinched in anticipation of their own turn. The crowd went wild cheering.
“I give people what they want.” Jacob went on with a smile that almost consumed his entire face. Another shot rang out and the second person fell and again the assembly showed their jubilant approval.
“Answers!” he boomed across his portable loud speaker. “I give answers to those who want them.” This time before he even raised the gun, the people roared. Another person fell.
“I want to explain something to you.” Jacob continued, his smile never faltering. “For the past nineteen years, people have looked for answers. Wanting answers to the past. Not even knowing if they have loved ones lost somewhere. I alone have answered you. I alone informed you as to what has to be done. I alone will bring order to this unhinged world.” With the last of his words the gun went off twice in quick succession. The last two fell to the ground, and as expected the crowd sent off an ear crashing roar.
Just as Zane was getting ready to leave, Jacob made eye contact with him. For that one moment they stared at each other, the crowd still going crazy around him. In those few seconds, Zane felt something odd. Almost as if Jacob was searching deep within him and knew things that not even Zane knew about himself.
Then, almost as if it never happened, they broke eye contact and the moment was gone. Zane wondered later if it hadn’t all just been his imagination.

Six 8-21-06

Zane looked up and noticed the others had sat patiently while he mulled things over in his mind. Most of their glasses sat close to empty on the table. His own cigarette had burned out on its own leaving the smelly remains of the charred filter. He must have been in his own world for ten minutes or so.
“Come to any conclusions Zane?” Aaron asked already knowing the answer.
“Yes” Zane answered right away “You’re like Jacob.”
“Well, yes and no.” Aaron said. “We share a few of the same talents as Jacob but we are nowhere near as close to what he can do. Not to mention he doesn’t care to use his…. uh… let’s say capabilities, for anything good.”
“And what exactly are your talents?” Zane asked. “I know the only time I’ve seen Jacob, it was as if he looked right through my skin and into my soul.”
“Yes, we can look into people.” Liana answered “We call it skimming here at the bridge. That’s part of our reason for being here; we have gathered eight of us here that can skim. It’s almost like mind reading but I hate putting the two together because the two really are not alike at all.”
It was Melissa that finally put it into perspective. “Skimming is like watching a kid draw a picture with crayons or sidewalk chalk. Only we can see you’re dreams and thoughts and a lot of the times your past. Well not you. But most other people we can.”
“With you, it’s like standing on a stoop, but never going into the house.” Stephen piped in. “We get so close to reading you and then a door slams in our face.”
“What’s so special about me?” Zane asked
“We don’t know.” Aaron said simply
“Exactly.” Tara added “Since you came here two days ago every one of us…” She gestured around the room with her hand “…not to mention Eddie, Adam and Sarah, have all tried to read you and none of us can. In the eight months the bridge has been in operation we have never found someone we can’t read. Other than each other.”
“So we’re thinking that maybe you have the same abilities as we do.” Liana said.
“Yeah, making our group total nine now.” Melissa added sounding cheerful.
“I am truly sorry to disappoint you all.” Zane said. “I’d be lucky to draw a picture with crayons, let alone read someone’s mind.”
The look on everyone’s face told Zane that he had indeed disappointed them. Every one except Aaron that was. He just sat back in his chair and looked thoughtful. After a moment his gaze caught Zane and he sat there studying him for a few moments.
The silence was interrupted by a door in the back part of the room busting open and slamming into the wall. A lady of about thirty came running up to them screaming at the top of her lungs. A dark sticky fluid covered the front of the light gray t-shirt she wore. Blood Zane realized. Bright red smears ran up her arms and spotted her face. At first Zane couldn’t make out what she was trying to tell them. Then all at once it came home to him.
“Adam’s been shot.” She repeated. “Adam’s been shot, oh my god Adam’s dying.”
Everyone, including Zane, jumped up.
“Where is he?” Aaron asked calmly. When she only stared at him, he grabbed her by the shoulders and gave her a gentle shake. “Sarah, I need you to tell me where Adam is. We can’t help him standing here.”
Slowly the words came out of her mouth. Zane thought it was funny that just fifteen seconds ago she was screaming every word she said and now she wanted to be as quiet as a mouse. He told himself that it must be shock. She must have been running on adrenalin and when she seen her friends it was replaced with shock or the early forms of it at least.
“He’s down….down in the back lobby.” She said, you could see the mental effort it took to put the words forward. “Eddie is with him, he sent me to find Liana.” Tears streamed down her face as she collapsed into Aaron’s arms.
He walked her over to a chair and gently sat her down. With his hand still firmly on her shoulder, he turned around to the others and started giving orders.
“Liana,” He said, “Get your gear and get down to Adam. Do what you can for him.” She didn’t hesitate even though she looked a little pale.
“Tara get some wine and give it to Sarah.” He went on “Stay with her and comfort her. Take her to her room if you must. Melissa, you go with her. Don’t ask her any questions. I‘ll get all the answers from Eddie.” They didn’t wait either, as soon as the words had left the old mans mouth they were walking the distraught woman toward the door.
After that, Aaron disappeared through the same door Sarah had entered with Zane close on his heels, leaving Stephen behind.

Seven 8-23-06

Aaron walked quickly, never looking behind him. For all Zane knew, the old man never knew he was being followed. He led the way down hallways that were floored with a deep green tile and white painted walls. Many pictures lined the way. Most of them were of people. One showed a picture of a man with fangs for teeth, there was blood was running down his chin. The caption underneath said, Andrew McQueen: Best Actor Award for his star role in ‘He Comes With Dawn’ another showed a lady in blue suspenders and a white T-shirt. Her blond hair spilled down her back and over her shoulders almost blending in with the pile of hay she was bent over. The pitchfork in her hand was buried deep into the haystack. The caption on this one said, Farming has never been funnier. Two thumbs way up: Boston Times Review. Staring Allison Rowe and Steve Rossi. There were far too many for Zane to read them all. Most of the doors they passed had people’s names on them or things like, File Management, Department of Resources, Clientele Administration Department, and CBT News Room.
Very little of this Zane understood but he knew this place had something to do with television at one time.
They continued walking for about seven minutes. Zane marveled at how big the building must be, and they were only on the first floor. Finally, the hall they were in opened up to a huge lobby.

Eight 8-29-06

Blood was everywhere. That was the first thing Zane noticed. The floor looked like someone had tried to mop with it. A black skinned man was on his knees in the midst of all this. Blood also plastered the front of his shirt and pants. His arms were wrapped around another guy on the ground. He looked up at Zane and Aaron as they entered the room.
“Adams dying.” He said in a choked voice, tears flowed freely down his face. “Oh Aaron, Adams dying.”
“Lianas on her way Eddie, but I need your help.” Aaron said still very much in control of himself “We need to get Adam on the desk over there. Can you help me do that?”
“Of coarse I can.” Eddie said, seemingly pulling himself together a bit.
“Zane you will have to help us as well.” Aaron said not even looking back; he was already headed toward Adam. The three of them managed to get the dying man onto the desk. Aaron bent down and started talking to him in such a low voice that Zane could hardly hear the words. He was amazed at how well Aaron was handling everything. For an old guy he was well put together he thought. Adam only twisted and turned on the desk. Apparently and understandable not hearing anything being said to him. Long groans of pain was creeping from his tightly pressed lips. The black shirt he had on was covered in the same sticky wetness Zane had seen on Sarah and Eddie.
“Either of you have a knife?” Aaron asked looking back at them. “We need to get this shirt off him before Liana gets here.”
“No need.” Liana said as she entered the room. In one of her hands was a black medical bag and in the other was a large bottle of water that she carried by the plastic strap that ran across the top. “I have scissors in my bag.” Zane could see the lines of worry on her face. It must be the blood he thought. She came into the room and seen this blood and knew it was worse than she had thought. “What I need is for one of you to hold his legs and the other two can grab an arm each.”
Zane was already standing the closest to the legs. So that’s were he ended up. Eddie took the left arm and Aaron the right. Zane thought it was good that the old man took that side as that would be the side Liana would be doing her work. He would no doubt be the most help if she needed any.
The first thing Liana did was pour a small amount of water in Adams mouth and then she poured the contents of a little bag in, and then some more water. He spit and spluttered but most of it found its way down. The marking on the bag said Morphine: Immediate-Release. Then she pulled the scissors out of her pack. She cut from the belly of the shirt to the neck. Then from the chest to either side of the sleeves. With the shirt out of the way Zane could see the man’s stomach and chest. Most of the blood there was a sticky mess. But under his ribcage on his right side a small spout of fresh blood was still spewing out. A rich metallic smell hit Zane right away.
“How long ago did this happen?” Liana asked looking across at Eddie. She to seemed well composed considering the situation at hand.
“I would guess about an hour or so ago.” He answered staring off into space. “We were in a little old church on the edge of town when four guys came running in. They must have seen us going in and waited to ambush us. Because when they came in they didn’t say anything to us. They just started shooting. I jumped behind a pew and seen Sarah do the same. I though that’s what Adam was doing but he was a few rows further up than us.”
Zane continued to listen as Liana worked. She had taken a cloth and water and cleaned around the gunshot wound. Every time she wiped the blood away, a new spout would immediately start again. Adam was lying
still now. If this was because he knew he was being worked or because he was dying or because of the morphine, Zane couldn’t tell.
“Now that I think about it.” Eddie went on. “That must have been when he got shot, because he just kind of fell strait to the ground. It was Sarah who saved us. I heard her gun going off and looked over to see what she was doing. She was shooting at their legs. When one of them fell to the ground she put another bullet in his chest. I started to copy her. Within thirty or forty seconds we had three of them dead by doing that. The fourth must have realized what we were up to because he jumped up on one of the pews. I could hear him jumping from one to the other. I looked over and seen Adam crawling back past where I was but it still didn’t occur to me that he had been hit. The guy jumping the pews was coming strait toward me so I didn’t have much time to think about it. I rolled under the seat in front of me and waited for him to land on it. When he didn’t see me he jumped to the next one. I jumped up and shot him in the back of the head. That was it. After that we realized Adam was hurt and made our way strait back here.”
After saying this Eddie grew quiet. Liana was now putting on a pair of thin yellowish plastic gloves. She had a metal scalpel in her hand. She looked around at everybody as is for approval. Aaron told her to go on and she did. She made the incision about four inches long a few inches away from the bullet wound. She was fast and precise with her cut. Zane wondered if maybe this wasn’t her first operation. Looking over at Eddie, Zane knew the man was going to sick up. He was about ready to mention this when Liana spoke.
“Why don’t you two go on back to the cafeteria?” She asked. “When you get there send Tara back to me. Eddie, make sure Sarah and the two youngsters are okay. We will take care of everything else that needs to be done here.”
Eddie looked at Aaron and after the old man nodded, a relieved look came over his face. He turned to walk away but then he turned back around and went to Liana and hugged her. She had to struggle to keep her hand over the blood soaked cloth that covered the wound. Both were leaking at the eyes and both tried to talk but it came out in strangled voices so they gave up. Finally Liana said “Go now, this night isn’t over by far.”
With that Zane and Eddie made their way back to the cafeteria. Neither men talked until they were almost there. It was Eddie that broke the silence.
“I’m sorry I almost got sick back there.” He said in a low voice. “It’s not that I can’t handle the sight of blood. I’ve seen my share of it in the past few years. I guess it’s just that….that seeing Adam in there fighting for his life. It’s not right. He’s a good guy.” He finished in a hurry.
“You don’t need to apologize to me.” Zane said “Under the circumstances I’d say you did great. The normal thread of man’s life has become unraveled but seeing someone you love dying isn’t ever going to change. I wouldn’t start feeling bad about it until it doesn’t bother you. In the mean time I think Adam is in good hands with Liana and Aaron. It looked to me like Liana knew what she was doing. We will let her do her work and hope for the best.”
Zane was surprised to see Eddie’s face brighten a little. Speaking encouragement was never a strong point for him. Speaking the truth however was.
“I suppose your right.” Eddie said and after a moment he went on. “We haven’t had the chance to be properly introduced yet. My name is Eddie Montgomery. I don’t know if they told you but I was the one that found you in the front entrance.”
“They did tell me.” Zane answered. “Thank you and I am in your debt. The storm would have killed me otherwise. My name is Zane Morris; it’s nice to meet you.”

Nine 9-2-06

As soon as they entered the cafeteria Zane noticed that Stephen was sitting alone at the far end of the room. He had a thick paperback book in his hands and was about halfway through it.
“Where are the Girls, Stephen?” Eddie asked causing the boy to jump.
“Eddie” He said and jumped out his seat and threw his arms around him, ignoring the blood that was now drying on Eddie’s shirt. It was such a rush that Eddie almost toppled backwards. The book fell to the floor closing and losing his place. He didn’t seem to care. The book title read: Stephen King: The Stand. The fact that the author and the reader shared the same first name didn’t escape Zane. He smiled a little thinking that maybe that’s why the boy had picked up the book in the first place.
Eddie embraced Stephen just as tight as the boy did him. A new wave of tears was starting to form at his eyes but he hurriedly pushed them aside and asked his question again.
“Where are the girls? I need to tell Tara something and it can’t wait.” He said and Stephen seemed to see the urgency in his face.
“They all went to Sarah’s room.” He said. A worried look crossed his face. “Is Adam going to be alright?”
“Liana is still working on him but she needs Tara’s help.” Eddie answered “I’m going to go get her and then I’ll be back. You two can come with if you want.”
Stephen said he didn’t want to and so Zane agreed to stay with him until Eddie came back. As soon as Eddie was out the doors Stephen picked up his book and sat down. Zane figured he would resume his reading again. Instead he only looked at the cover thoughtfully.
“Is that any good?” Zane asked gesturing toward the book.
“This?” Stephen asked examining it as if for the first time. “There’s an office up stairs on the third floor filled with books. I’ve read most everything in there but this King guy is better than most of the other stuff. This is my favorite of all of his stories. He wrote another set of books, seven in all, they were called the Dark Tower Series. They actually better written than this one is, but for some reason this has a more personal affect on me. This is my third time reading it.”
They both got quiet for a little while and Stephen started to read again. Zane sat down in one of the chairs. After a few moments he realized he was utterly exhausted. He knew he hadn’t been awake for long, but tiredness was still sweeping over his body. His head nodded and he started to doze off. He was startled back to wakefulness by Stephen’s voice.
“Zane, do you think Adam is going to die?” He asked.
“He might, it’s a serious wound.” Zane answered. “Liana will do all she can for him, but she only knows what she has read and that may not be enough. It seemed to me that she was doing a great job but I have nothing to compare it to. I’ve never seen a surgery before and don’t know much about things like that. It seems I’m usually the one inflicting the wound.”
“Well, I think it would be cruel if he died.” Stephen said sadly. “He has been good to me and Melissa. Adam was the one that brought us here after our mom died. That was almost a year ago. If he dies it will tear Melissa in two. She loves him so much. We both do. He’s like a father to us. The only father we have ever known.”
Zane didn’t know how to respond. The boys eyes were shining and he was close to tears. He thought about telling him to just go ahead and read his book and not to think about it. Or that he shouldn’t talk about it until Eddie got back. It wasn’t because he didn’t want to hear him; it was simply because he didn’t know how to comfort him. He decided to say nothing. An awkward moment passed and then Stephen went on avoiding the tears the best he could.
“I’m sure you have figured out that Melissa and I are twins. Our mom….” He paused for a second or two thinking. “…..Our mom was a pretty woman. She was smart too. She forced both of us to read a lot. She said it may never be important in this world but she wanted us to anyways. I’m glad she did. Now that’s how I keep my mind occupied most of the time.” The tiniest hint of smile stole across his face. Zane knew he must be thinking about his mom. Remembering some look on her face or something she had said or done.
“She died shortly after we met Adam.” He said. “She had been sick for some time. Adam tried to talk her into coming to the bridge but she wouldn’t do it. She was always tired and told him that a long trip would kill her. We was in Florida, and Ohio was a long trip. It didn’t matter though.” He let out a sigh. It sounded like one of relief to Zane. “She died two weeks later. Liana says it must have been cancer. I don’t know and I really don’t care. All I know is that it was cruel and uncalled for. She didn’t need to die. Just like Adam don’t need to die.” The tears were streaming down his face. He looked at Zane and held his gaze through the flow. Zane admired him for that. It was hard to keep eye contact but even harder when your heart was out on your sleeve.
“The world is a cruel place Stephen.” Zane said. “But your mother and Adam knew to keep fighting and I think you should respect them by doing the same.” Stephen looked at him like he was crazy.
“How do you know that my mother fought?” He asked
“She forced you to read and didn’t she?” The boy nodded. Zane went on. “Don’t you think that by forcing you to do that she was fighting this upside down world in her own way? That was her way of telling the world that she knew there was better times to come and her kids would be ready for it. She still had hope. By reading she knew that there were things that a book could teach you that she couldn’t. I fight with my guns. I wish I could fight like she did. She didn’t need to spill a drop of blood to teach you and your sister something. I envy her.”
Surprisingly the boy got out of his chair and gave Zane a hug. Awkwardly Zane patted him on the back. That made twice tonight he had said something to someone and got results he wasn’t expecting. When Stephen pulled away he looked better and a dam had been built to keep away the tears. He wiped away the wetness that still remained with the sleeve of his shirt.
“Thanks Zane. That means a lot to me.” He said “I never looked at it that way.”
“It’s no more than the truth.” Zane said and he really meant it.

Ten 9-3-06

When Eddie finally returned he had Melissa with him. Zane could see she had been crying as well. Eddie told them all that Sarah was asleep and that Tara had gone on down to the lobby. Stephen went to the kitchen and brought out some Kool-Aid for them all. They sat around talking for almost two hours before Aaron came walking into the room. His head was hung low and dried blood was on his shirt and hands. When he looked up at them a deep tiredness showed on his face.
“Adams dead.” He said simply.
It took a few seconds to soak in. As Zane looked around the room he saw the heartache in each of them. Eddie and Stephen sat still and both dropped their heads and started crying. Melissa stood up got ready to say something and then seemed to change her mind. Her mouth closed with an audible snap. She started walking toward Aaron. Zane thought she was going to go to him for comfort but when she got to him, she walked right on past. Aaron said her name but she ignored it and kept walking until she was out of site and through the doors. Stephen got up to follow her and Aaron told him to just let her go. That she needed time on her own. That they all needed time on their own! Aaron ended up explaining to them that Adams liver had extensive damage and that was the cause of his death. He told them that Liana was having a hard time dealing with it because she blamed herself. Even though she had tried her hardest and done her best.

Eleven 9-3-06

Zane was wakeful as he lay in bed that night. After Aaron had brought back the news of Adam dying he had felt out of place. Even though the old man had told them that they needed time on their own, it was the opposite of what they had done. Everyone (except Melissa) had gathered in the cafeteria. Even Sarah had joined them. She looked better and was calm but still she shared the same exhausted and bereaved look as everyone else.
Out of all of them, Zane thought that it was Liana that looked the worse. Her eyes had dark patches under them. She didn’t say anything to anyone and the iced tea that had been prepared for her sat untouched on the table. The ice was nearly melted and had left an almost perfect separation of water from the tea at the top of the glass.
Zane knew this was good for them all and new he had no place in this circle. He left the room after a few moments. Aaron had seen him going and smiled at him, probably in a gesture of thanks.
Zane wondered where Melissa had run off too and if she was okay. He wondered what passed as a funeral around here and figured he would find out soon enough. But mostly Zane wondered what he was doing here and what came next.

The next morning Zane woke to find Aaron sitting on the end of his bed. He looked better than the night before but the tiredness in his eyes still showed through. He probably didn’t get to bed until late and then had gotten up early Zane figured. The thought occurred to him that the others probably looked the same.
“Good Morning Zane.” He said in a hushed voice. “I’m sorry to be in here before you had the chance to wake up. But I wanted to be the first to talk to you this morning. The others are all getting ready for the funeral and I was wondering if you would come.” Zane remembered his thoughts the night before and realized he would find out about the funeral quicker than what he had thought.
“I didn’t think you would have it so fast.” he replied.
“The sooner the better I think.” said Aaron “I want to get this nasty mess behind us. Maybe it will help the grieving to move along faster this way. Anyways, I know you didn’t get a chance to know Adam, but it would mean a lot to the others and me if you were there. So what do you say?”
“Of coarse I will.” Zane said. “Besides, you don’t have to know a good man to grieve for him. Just the fact that he is gone is enough.”
Aaron once again showed Zane his best smile. “I put some things in the bathroom that you might find handy. Funeral starts in one hour. Liana, Eddie and I actually buried him last night. We are just going to say a few things over his grave today and then say our goodbyes. A small walk will take us to the place. Before we go we are all going to meet in the same lobby we were in last night. Think you can find your way or should I have someone wait for you outside your room?”
“I’ll be fine, but thanks anyways.” Zane said. “I’ll see you in an hour. I still need to prepare myself.”
Aaron left and Zane made his way to the bathroom. Inside he saw that there was a new blade for shaving, some soap, washcloths and a new black t-shirt.

Twelve 9-4-06

Zane was in the lobby fifteen minutes early. The only other person there was Sarah. He was surprised to see she had on a white dress. It was speckled along the bottom with little red drops. The top was low cut and gave a good sampling of her breast. Her chestnut colored hair flowed freely down her back and across her shoulders. Zane thought that maybe he was really seeing her for the first time. His memories of her last night would never have let him know this was the same woman. Besides the fact that she was in hysterics, she was also wearing jeans, a t-shirt and boots. Last night she seemed to have boyish features but nothing of that remained now. The only thing that was the same was the fact that she looked very disheartened and disconnected.
It took her a second to notice he had came in.
“Oh! Hello Zane.” She said. “I’m sure you know my name by now. But just in case I’m Sarah Pomeroy.” She tried to smile but withdrew it quickly.
“It’s a pleasure to meet you Sarah.” Zane replied. “I’m sorry about Adam. From what I hear he was a very good man. Everyone here has said great things about him.”
“He was.” She agreed. “He was a very good man. He never thought about himself. It was always someone else he was worried about. The reason we went into that church last night was because he was doing something for someone else. Did you know that? Did Eddie tell you about it?”
“No, he didn’t” Zane said. He could see she was fighting back tears. He wondered if there was something he could say to help her but found nothing.
She went on “He was, he was looking for a new bible for Aaron. Please don’t ever tell him that. But that’s why we stopped there. You see Aaron and Adam shared the same passion. They both believed in God. Adam noticed that Aaron’s bible was looking a little ragged and that’s why we went into the church. So Adam could get him a new one. Kind of ironic isn’t it?”
“What’s ironic?” Zane asked.
“That a person can go through life doing things for others and believe in God, only to die looking for a bible for someone else. I never have bought into all that God stuff myself. If he was so real he has a very sick since of humor.” Up until this point she had talked in a normal tone of voice but this last she said barely above a whisper. She hung her head and cupped her hands over her face. Zane could hear her sobs, but new no way to console her. So he just stood with his back to the wall. After a bit she stopped sobbing and looked up at him with a tear drenched face.
“I’m sorry.” she said. “You don’t even know me and here I am pouring my heart out to you.”
“I seem to be getting a lot of that lately.” He said with a smile to let her know he was okay with it. “No, really it’s okay. In times like these people need someone to talk to and I just happened to be here.”
She smiled back at him and Zane never forgot how lovely she looked in that moment

Thirteen 9-4-06

The others arrived shortly after Zane and Sarah‘s conversation. Aaron was the first to arrive. He said hello to them both but other than that he stayed quiet and waited patiently for the others.
Soon Zane found himself following the others down a crowded street. Cars, trucks, trash, and even an old discarded mattress littered the ground. They walked not toward town but away from it. Zane noticed for the first time how big the building was that he had taken up residence in. It stood taller than any of the other buildings that consumed the area. He counted the windows running up the smooth back surface and found that there were eighteen in all.
A skinny blond haired woman with a dirty faced boy was the first two people they encountered. The boy was sitting in the street crying. Tears streamed down his face, revealing lines of the pale skin underneath. Every time the mother (Zane assumed she was his mother by the resemblance in looks, the same large nose consumed a lot of their faces) tried to get the boy to stand up and walk with her, he would snap his teeth at her and she would jerk her hands back. When the two noticed Zane and his companions walking past, the boy stopped his game of bobbing for fingers and the lady stood there not saying a word, her hands still outstretched dangerously close to the child’s head. As soon as they were out of sight, Zane heard wails of anger come from the child. He wondered if maybe he had finally been captured by his mother.
No one said a word on their way until they were approached by a young man in military camouflage. He was clean shaven with his hair slicked back. An ugly scar ran from his lower lip to the tip of his pointed chin.
Aaron immediately dropped back to Zane. “This guy means us trouble.” He said. “Can you deal with him if he tries anything?” He asked, looking up at Zane.
Zane nodded his head and then asked. “How do you know? Did you read him?”
“Yes.” Aaron responded, “Just like I read the mother and child back a ways. Just like everyone else except you has read him already.” Zane looked around at the rest of the group and noticed that they were all tensing up. Eddie was rubbing the small of his back and an anxious look was on his face. Zane knew at once that he had a gun hidden there and was getting ready to pull it. He got ready to walk over to Eddie when Aaron grabbed his shoulder and stopped him. The look on his face was sad and tired.
“Don’t kill him unless you have to Zane.” He said “This world has had enough blood poured out on it lately.”
“I won’t.” Zane replied. “I try to only kill when I have too.” He walked away leaving Aaron to walk at a slow pace behind the rest of the group. When he reached Eddie, he was still fumbling with concealed weapon.
“Eddie, don’t do anything yet.” He said in a low voice so he wouldn’t be startled and the guy now within a few feet from them wouldn’t overhear. “Let me see what I can do first but be ready just in case.” Eddie nodded his head and looked a little relieved.
Zane approached the guy without hesitation. “Is there something we can do for you?” he asked in a friendly enough voice.
The guy smiled showing a mouthful of rotten teeth. “There’s nothing you can help me with.” He said. “But there’s a lot one of these ladies can do for me. Preferably that one there.” Pointing to Sarah. “Or that young one there.” he went on sweeping his finger toward Melissa and eyeing her greedily.
“That’s not going to happen.” Zane said, anger sweeping through him. He could hardly believe someone would have enough nerve to walk up and say something so bold. “Matter a fact, next time you point that finger to anyone in this group, you will lose it.”
The guy only continued to smile. Zane wanted to punch his head but held back for Aaron’s sake. “I’ll tell you what.” He said. “You let me have that little one there.” He pointed to Melissa again. Zane was happy to see this, but Melissa cringed and pushed herself close to Liana. “And I’ll let you live.”
“What’s your name boy?” Zane asked. Beefing up the word boy.
“Not that it matters old man.” The kid said emphasizing old man in the same voice Zane had used. However some of his proud smile slipped from his face and was replace with doubt. “My names Kaid.”
“Alright Kaid, I’ll tell you what.” Zane said. “If you leave right now I will take back my promise on removing your finger from your hand.”
Things happened fast after that. Eddie drew his gun at the same time Kaid pulled his but Zane was faster than both of them. He grabbed Kaid by the wrist that his gun was in and raised it strait up in the air. A shot went off and rang loudly in their otherwise quiet surroundings. Zane seen a look of shock in the boys young face. It said: “Wasn’t I in control of this situation just a second ago? What went wrong?” Zane could have told him he never had control, and the part of his mind telling him that was lying.
Zane put his leg behind Kaid’s and pushed back with all his strength. He let himself fall with him and when he landed it was with Kaid under him. A rush of air came tumbling out of his lungs and Zane could smell the sour smell of whiskey. Between that and the repulsive smell of too much cologne Zane wanted to puke. Instead he slid his hand up higher to meat with the gun in Kaid’s hands. Once he felt the coldness of steel he jerked it free from his grasp.
Still trying to catch his breath, Kaid jerked in an attempt to regain his revolver. Zane rolled off from on top of him and the kid twisted himself onto his knees. His head was hung down and his hands were stretched out in front of him. He was still gasping for air. Zane seen his opportunity and before anyone could voice argument, he took the gun by the barrel and brought the butt down on the pointer finger of Kaid’s right hand. That seemed to be the medicine he had needed to get his breath back because all at once he screamed as loud as he could. Zane stood up with the pistol turned in the right direction this time.
Zane thought the others would have been upset about this but not one of them complained. Maybe it was because of the threats the boy had handed out so freely. Eddie was smiling as he tucked his gun between his belt and stomach. He didn’t bother hiding it this time.
“Well, you did warn him.” Eddie said and shrugged his shoulders as he started to walk away. Everyone except Stephen started following him. He stayed behind with Zane.
“That was something.” He said with an excited look on his face. “What now?”
Zane took his foot and pushed Kaid to the ground. He groaned but didn’t try to fight back.
“Tell the boy what's next Kaid.” Zane said. He held his face stern to let Kaid know he wasn’t going to take any more guff from him.
“I’m going to leave and never point my finger at anyone again.” He said through clinched teeth. He now sat up and held his broken finger with his other hand. “I can’t believe you broke my fucking finger man.”
“You lucky I didn’t cut it off.” Zane said. “The only reason I didn’t is because we were in the presence of ladies. So remember that. The same ladies you was going to bother saved you from losing a finger.”
Kaid stood up and started walking away. Zane and Stephen watched him go. When he got about forty feet away he turned back to them. “Fuck you mister.” He screamed and then took off running as fast as he could.
Stephen looked up at Zane to see if he was going to do anything about it. Zane only said. “Come on, we have a funeral to go to.”

Fourteen 9-5-06

They caught up with the others easy enough. The place that Adam was buried was a large graveyard. The group entered through gate that stood about ten feet high. The bars on the gate and fence were a greenish looking steel. Zane thought that it must be made of copper. Long spikes embedded the top of the fence all the way around.
Adams plot was halfway through the cemetery. The wooden cross marking it read: Adam Cooper-Beloved friend. Everyone except Aaron gathered on either side of the grave. Aaron stood at the head, above the cross. Zane wondered again what the old man was made of. He stood firm and ridged and all tiredness seemed to have left him. Even though he had dealt with the death of a close friend and stayed up all night to dig a grave he had still found the time to make a cross to put on it, Zane thought. For some reason he knew it was him that had made it.
“I really don’t know how to do this.” Aaron said looking over the others. “So I am just going to say what my heart tells me to. Each of you can say what you feel as well.”
“As everyone here knows.” He started “Adam was nothing short of a great man. He dedicated his life to helping others. The reason I met Adam was because he seen me in need and didn’t hesitate to put himself in harms way in order to help. John 3:21 says: But he that does truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God. Adam lived his life walking in the light. To me it is obvious what Adam’s purpose here on earth was. To show us how to be better. To show us how to love and be kind to others. If anyone here takes anything away from knowing Adam, please take away the love he shared for others. May you rest in peace my brother.” A tear rolled down his face, but no others followed.
The others said their goodbyes. Melissa and Zane were the only people who opted to say nothing. No one took more than a moment and soon they were on their way back to the building they called home. The walk this time was quick and without interruption.
After they had gotten back and had a light meal Zane noticed Melissa sneaking off alone. He mentioned this to Aaron and the old man went after her.
Over the next few days at the bridge, Zane noticed that the overall cheer of the group was improving. Melissa was still having a hard time accepting Adams death but Aaron assured him that she would come out of it. He said she was just dealing with it in her own way and all she needed was time. Zane spent his days learning about the bridge and getting better acquainted with everyone. He soon learned that there was a bond between him and his new friends. Each day they spent together brought them closer. What surprised him most was that it was Eddie who he drew closest to.
Eddie showed him the ins and outs of the building. He told him that the place once had something to do with buying and selling rights to movie production. He said that there originally weren’t any bedrooms in the place. It was all office space and storage room. The bedrooms were set up by him and Adam. They had done twelve of them, but only the eight were being occupied. Most of their food came from people that had taken up farming.
“People have actually started farming again?” Zane asked in amazement.
“Well, they have because of Aaron.” Eddie said. “There’s something you don’t know about the old man Zane. He shares the same ability to read as the rest of us here at the bridge, but he can read deeper into people than anyone we know of except maybe for Jacob. Remember what you told me about Liana looking like she had performed a surgery before. Well she very well could have. For all we know she was a nurse or a doctor before things in our world got so messed up. Medicine and taking care of people came natural to her. Just like using a gun comes natural to you and me. We could have been police officers before.”
“Or criminals.” Zane added and Eddie smiled.
“I thought about that to.” He said. “But wouldn’t it be more likely we did something to help people since that comes easier for us now? It’s the same with the farmers. Aaron read them and found out that’s what they use to do before…well….before whatever went wrong.” He drew quiet for a moment thinking.
“What did go wrong Zane?” He asked. “Do you have any ideas to why our world is so messed up?”
“I have a lot of ideas.” Zane answered “But none that make any since. It’s something I mean to talk to Aaron about.”
“Anyways,” Eddie went on. “Aaron talked to these farmers and told them what he knew. He convinced them to try their hand at it. Once they did, they found it to their likings. So we have people farming and they contribute food to our cause. We have pork, chickens, and beef. Not to mention corn, beans, potatoes and other crops. It’s a good start if you ask me. That’s why Aaron created the bridge. He wants people to get back to normal life as soon as possible. Putting some order back into our lives. People to work on the plumbing, electrical, and even doctors, and emergency crews, and so on and so forth. I’m sure there is a lot that he hasn’t told me. Like how the power and plumbing works in this building. “He grew quit for a minute. Then said there are always people coming and going from here. Not all of them are farmers I can tell you that. They go see Aaron and then they are gone without a word to anyone else.” He smiled at Zane and then said. “Now you know as much as I do.” He looked at Zane and his face grew serious. “Want to know what the problem is Zane? I’ll tell you. The problem is Jacob. He stands in the way of any kind of natural process not to mention his damn minions are everywhere.”

Fifteen 9-05-06

Zane was eager to have a talk with Aaron. He enjoyed staying at the bridge, having people to talk to and not having to scavenge for food but he was growing restless. Aaron however remained unseen. When Zane asked around for him he was told that Aaron had went out to talk to some of the farmers and see how supplies were going. It wasn’t until Zane’s ninth night there that Aaron finally returned.
Zane sat alone in the large cafeteria cleaning his guns when Aaron came strolling in. He sat down across from Zane and kicked his legs up on the table.
“How are you?” He asked. “Are you finding everything to your liking?”
“It’s good to see you Aaron.” Zane replied. “I’m doing fine and everything here is fine. How are you?”
“Oh, I’m good Zane.” He answered. “I am a little sad though. I didn’t think we would be saying our goodbyes so soon.”
“What do you mean?” Zane asked.
“The others told me you want to leave Zane.” The old man replied. “Come on, you can’t tell me you thought they were so ignorant that they couldn’t recognize anxiousness when they see it.” He said when he seen the shocked look on Zane’s face. “From what I’m hearing you can’t sit still, you are always walking the halls and looking out the windows.”
Zane smiled. He hadn’t really thought about what he was doing. While he was doing these things, in his mind he was just passing time. Now that he thought about it, he was anxious to move on.
“You are right; I am going to head out soon.” He said
“I knew you wouldn’t stay long when I first set my eyes on you.” Aaron said “You didn’t seem like the type that would stay in one place for to long. I had hoped it would be a little longer though.” He sighed. “Can I ask where you plan on going next?”
“I don’t have an answer to that.” Zane said. “I never make plans; I just let my feet take me where they will. That’s how I ended up here.”
“Can I at least ask you to stay a couple more days Zane?” The old man asked. “I would like to get a few things in order before you go. I may need your help with something.”
“Of course,” Zane said. “I was going to see if Eddie could get me some more shells for these guns anyways.”
Aaron looked thoughtful for a moment and then said. “I’ve been meaning to thank you for not killing that young man the other day Zane. I didn’t like what you did to his finger, but I can at least understand it.”
“Why did you ask me not to kill him?” Zane asked.
“Well, because he wasn’t as bad as he showed us.” Aaron said. “Oh, I know what he did was bad and what he was planning was even worse. But deep down, he was a good kid. I think maybe if he had been given a little time he could resort back to the way he use to be. These times are hard on us all Zane but its harder on some people. That kid worked for an Emergency Service before things went sour. He cared for people and still does. Yesterday he was full of booze.”
“That’s never an excuse.” Zane said. He was a little disappointed in Aaron for making excuses for people.
“Oh, I know.” Aaron went on. “It isn’t an excuse for your actions. But we have to think about what brought a good person to act that way in the first place. Like I said, life has been hard on all of us, but harder on some than others. I don’t pretend to know what his circumstances are, but I do know for the last four years he has struggle to stay alive.”
“I expect your right.” Zane agreed. He could see Aaron’s point. He didn’t exactly agree with it but it did make some since. “I personally think you try to read into things to much. Can’t things ever be the way they look to be? And none of it changes the fact that I still planning on killing every one of Jacobs men I can lay my hands on.”
“I didn’t think it would.” Aaron said in a resigned voice. “But still, thank you anyways Zane. As far as me reading things a little deeper than what most would, your not the first to accuse me of that.” He chuckled a little and then they both sat in silence for a time until Zane looked up at Aaron and asked.
“What do you know that you’re not telling me?”
Aaron looked away and chuckled a little. “I think we need some coffee for this one.” he said “Come to the kitchen with me and I’ll make us some while we talk.”
Once in the kitchen Zane sat down on a stack of red plastic milk crates. Aaron raised the divider where people must have gathered for their food at one time. They could see into the cafeteria through this. Aaron said he opened it so that if anyone of the others came looking for them they would know where to find them. After the coffee was made Aaron joined Zane on some crates of his own. The old man did most of the talking and Zane just listened.
“Zane, do you know what happened to this world to put us in the position we are in?” After Zane said he didn’t, the old man went on. “Well don’t feel alone, know one does. Not even Jacob knows the answer to that. Oh, I could guess all day. Nuclear war, aliens, some biblical wrath from God. Do I think it was any of these things? No; not at all. There are a lot of people saying it was the rapture. I don’t buy that. The point is, it all boils down to the same thing. We are in trouble. People are missing from this earth, we know that. The population is down, I would say, to about a quarter of what it was. I know this just by looking at the city we live in. Cars line the streets. Houses stand empty. It may not be obvious what has happened but what ever it was, it is obvious that it was devastating to man kind.”
“What do we do now?” Zane asked.
“We restore order.” Aaron answered quickly. It was almost like he was waiting for Zane to ask this. “But something must happen before we can do that.”
“I think I know what you are going to say.” Zane said. “But go on.”
“I’m sure you know the answer Zane.” Aaron said. “We all know the answer. Jacob has to be removed from the picture.” Zane smiled. His guess was right on the mark. Aaron’s face remained placid.
“You knew I was going to come around to this didn’t you.” Zane nodded. Aaron continued “Since I have been gone, I visited four farmers’ houses. These guys took the spade up under my suggestion; they wanted to make a little since of what was going on around them, just as much as the next man. Well anyways, everything went well until the fourth and last house. When I got there, I found a bloody mess. The farmer and the people he had helping him were slaughtered. They didn’t die for any other reason than the fact that they were doing something constructive.”
He paused for a moment to catch his breath. He was talking fast and looked to be getting worked up. “Jacob must have got word that the farm was operating again and gave orders to shut it down. Either that or some of his men just felt like killing, they don’t need anything to drive them to do that. So, my point is, how can the world continue to exist in the shape it is now? How can a world with a Jacob ever become more than what we have now.”
“I suppose it can’t.” Zane said.
“Your right Zane; It cannot.” Aaron said, now that his point was made he looked to have calmed down. “All I want is for life to pick up some of the same normality it had at one time.”
Zane started laughing and Aaron took on a defensive look. “What is so funny?” he asked.
“You talk about normality like that was a guarantied thing.” Zane said. “I’m sorry I don’t share your enthusiasm, but I don’t think normal is the word for what humans were before what ever happened.”
“I like to think of what happened as “The waking up.”” Aaron said.
“Okay, before the waking up.” Zane said, he liked that name for it because that was exactly what it was like. “I just don’t see how you can say life was normal before then. I have walked across almost all of this country and I’ve seen to many things telling me how ignorant we really were.”
“What do you mean?” Aaron asked.
“For one thing,” Zane said “About a month after we all woke up, I was in Pennsylvania when a big explosion went off. I could barely see an orange glow over the night’s horizon but everyone around sure felt it. We had to be fifty or sixty miles away but it still shook some of the buildings to the ground. A continuous run of thunder rang out all night and part of the next day. Now, what ever that was might have exploded because something someone still around had done, but what it seems like to me is that before we woke up, we were messing with things we shouldn’t have been.”
“Ah! your right,” Aaron said. “We were always putting our hands into the cookie jar. I know this. But I also know that we didn’t have to worry about going outside and getting shot either. We had freedom from people like Jacob. We had freedom and protection from things like that.”
“How do you know how things were then?” Zane asked. “I don’t know too much of anything from my past. I catch a glimpse in my mind on occasion, but all of it comes blurry and I don’t even know for sure what I see is real.”
“I know these things for two reasons.” Aaron answered. “First is because of everything around me. Look outside around you Zane. In all of these travels you talk about didn’t you notice it? All the houses, cars, clothes, buildings and everything else! It all points to the fact that we were free people and could come and go and choose our lifestyles as we pleased.”
“I see what you mean.” Zane said and Aaron went on.
“Secondly, was because of something I found about three days after I woke up.” Aaron said and noticed that Zane was looking at him questioningly. “Just like every one else Zane, I woke up and had no idea about anything. Who I was. What had happened. What was going to happen. I was blank. I knew the simple things that we all know. How to read, write, and talk. I knew what my name was and other small things like where I was born. I also knew one thing that most people didn’t though. I knew to stay put. I noticed that everyone else was leaving. I didn’t know where they were headed no more than they did. But I was different, something told me to stay were I was and make as much since of things that I could. I did just that. My house had plenty of food in it so I didn’t need to leave and I didn’t. I stayed there for almost two months before I felt compelled to leave. In those two months I learned many things. First was that the place was mine in what ever kind of life I had before we woke up. Second was that I had a family. A picture hung in the living room of my house. It seems I had a wife and two sons. I haven’t seen any of them since then and I don’t imagine that I ever will. But even more important than that, I found something that told me much more about our past than most people have a clue about. I found some journals that I had been writing in since I was twelve years old and by my calculations I am sixty-two years old now. Let me tell you that was lot of writing. I had it all in composition books and the three knee high stacks took me almost my entire stay there to read. I learned a lot in that time but I didn’t learn what happened to us. The one thing that makes me wonder about it so much though and the reasons I have spent so much time trying to figure it out is the fact that I know some stuff and not others.”
“Explain.” Zane said as he stood up and set his coffee cup on a table that was close at hand.
“Well it’s simple.” Aaron said. “It’s what I call The Chalkboard Effect. Let me ask you Zane. Do you know what a hieroglyph is?”
“Isn’t that what ancient people used for marking dates and such on walls of their temples?” Zane answered.
“That’s exactly what it is,” Aaron said. “Now can you tell me, have you ever seen one or read about one or had someone explain one to you since the day we all woke up?”
“No,” Zane answered. “And I see what your point is. I know this because of my life from before. Not because of anything that has happened since we woke up.”
“That’s exactly right Zane.” Aaron said with a smile. “You’re a fast learner. Now let me explain this to you and put it all in perspective. One day while I was on my way here I spent the night in and old school building. The next morning when I woke up the first thing I noticed was some writing on the chalkboard. It had been erased but I could still make out what was written there. I took a piece of chalk that I found in one of the trays and retraced everything that had been written. I was really surprised at myself for doing this but even more surprised that I could. My point is; that something along these lines has happened to us. We have lost our memories but there is still a trace of them there. If we could find the right piece of chalk then we could maybe find some hint of our former lives.”
“That’s very interesting.” Zane said thoughtfully as he stared at the ground. Images resurfaced in his mind of his lost life. Suddenly he felt like sharing something to the old man that he had never told anyone.

Sixteen 10-14-06

“I don’t remember much of my life from before I came to be here. But what I do remember is a treasure I’ll try to always keep. When things are quiet and my mind has time to wander without too many interruptions is when I see it best, and every now and then a new memory will come to me. Usually it’s not much, a type of soda I drank or a place I visited or something silly like that, and to the next person it might not mean anything. To me though it is a new world I can walk in for days after. What stands out in my mind the most is my father. I remember him best of all. I see an image in my head that is always fresh and never falters. I’m sitting in a large room with huge windows that are wide open and blowing in the freshest breeze you can image. Just the smell of that breeze is so wonderful that it makes you want to cry. My father is sitting on a bench in front of an all white piano. As he plays his music his eyes are lit up and a smile is spread out on his face. The pure joy he gets out of being there is obvious. I’m not for sure exactly what it is that he is playing but it’s a very fast tune. A woman and a young girl are dancing to it. I cannot see their faces. Every time I picture this or dream about it there is a fog that prevents me seeing who they are or what they look like! It is ok though. I do not let that sadden me however for I cherish the rest of the memory even more. After a few moments of my father playing, he gets up and asks the two ladies to leave the room. They give him a quick bow and head out the door. He stands there looking at the door for a second or two and then turns to me. The sun coming from the window falls on him, the black suit he has on is so well made and so well pressed that it looks like it has just come from the window of a shop. When he finally walks over to where I am he bends down to me and smiles. I smile back for I know that he loves me more than anything else in life. He tells me so. He also tells me that he must take a trip and will not be back for a few weeks. I’m not as sad as you might think for I know that he will be well looked after and taken care of. He has body guards and servants aplenty. Into my hand he pushes something. I can tell by the shape that it’s a large key but I never take my eyes off him. He tells me that I must protect it above all other things and I will know when to use it. He says he will see me again and that is a promise. He runs his hand through my hair gives me one last smile, almost sadly and then leaves through the same door the ladies left through. I look down at what is in my hand. Sure enough it’s an old key. I stuff it into my pocket and start walking to the door. A second before my hand can reach the knob a group of people in white suits burst into the room. Some are males and some are females. They keep me from leaving and start talking to me. I’m not for sure what it is that they are saying. All I know is that I want to get to my father. Finally I give in. The room I am in is now a cage. The longing to get to my father is increased greatly but I manage to fight back the feeling for the time being. I feel scared and angry. But most of all I feel a loneliness. I sit down on the bench that my father was sitting at only moments before and put my face in my hands and cry.”
Once Zane had told all of this, he and Aaron sat quietly for a few moments. Zane was surprised at himself for saying so much. It wasn’t like him to talk a lot and it wasn’t like him to tell of things that brought back feelings. But something about Aaron presence demanded it and it was like trying to fight rushing water.
Zane looked over at Aaron and thought at first that the old man was sleeping. His eyes were closed and his head leaned against the wall behind him. His chest was barley moving from his slow easy breathing. Just as Zane was going to tap the old man to see if he was indeed awake, he spoke.
“That’s the most I have ever heard of anybody remembering.” He said with a puzzled look on his face. Then after only the slightest delay he asked. “How do you know it was your father Zane?”
“I just do.” Zane said simply. Then When he seen a look that he took for disappointment on Aaron‘s face he added. “I’m sorry that’s the best I can give you.”
“No, no…it’s alright.” Aaron said regaining some of his former self and offering a shadow of a smile to Zane. “Maybe we should call it a night. Will you join me and the others for breakfast in the morning?” He asked.
“Both sound good to me.” Zane answered though a yawn.
Seventeen 10-14-06

That night Zane slept poorly and was trouble by thoughts of Aaron. It might have been his imagination but the old man looked troubled after Zane had told him his story. Finally around five: am Zane forced himself out of bed and went for a walk. The building was still quiet and as far as Zane could tell no one was up yet. He made his way outside and sat on the same stoop that brought him to this place what seemed to him so long ago. He realized that he had grown fond of these people that had taken care of him. He was going to miss them and almost dreaded the day of departure. Pulling out one of the packs of smokes that Aaron had given him, he smiled thinking about how resourceful he was. For being at the age he was he sure was on top of his game. The fact that Aaron and Jacob seemed a lot alike didn’t escape him. They even shared looks to some small degree. It was true that he had only seen Jacob once and even then it was from a distance but a man like that wasn’t easily forgotten. Zane had dreamed of that one meeting many times over. Had heard the gunshots cracking through the air over and over, and had seen the crowed chairing as bodies fell to the ground again and again.
Silently Zane sat and smoked one stale cigarette after another. Not until the sun was coming over the horizon and the pack of smokes was almost entirely gone did he bother going back inside.

Eighteen 10-15-06

When Zane finally came back inside he found that everyone was already assembled at the table and a huge meal was laid out. Aaron said a brief prayer over the meal and before long they were done and sitting together and talking things over.
“Did you not sleep well?” Aaron asked Zane. “Is something troubling you?”
“I just had a few things on my mind.” Was his reply to both questions!
“Still plan on leaving us?” Melissa asked with a broad smile on her mouth. By the way she looked Zane assumed she was hiding something.
“Out with it.” He said smiling right back at her. He looked around the room and seen that all of them was grinning. All of them had something to say to him.
“This isn’t exactly the way I wanted this to come about.” Aaron said “But while we are all together we might as well get on with it. Zane we want to know, can we come with you when you leave? Well all of us except Tara here. She has decided she wants to stay behind.”
Zane was taken back. This was the last thing he had expected and wasn’t ready to deal with it. Were they serious? He looked around the room at the group and seen that they were very serious. He had to measure things up. His glance went first to Eddie. Eddie was strong and knew how to handle a gun. He would be a great person to have around. Not only for his skill, but for his company as well. Next was Aaron and Liana who sat close together. Aaron was old but he was quick and was made of strong stuff. His wisdom and knowledge of things would be nice to have on the road but he might not be able to handle some of the cold nights and hungry mornings. Liana would be nice to have along if for nothing else than her skill of medicines. Zane knew she was tuff and that she could endure most things a man could. His eyes fell to the two youngest. Both Stephen and Melissa were great kids but Zane knew that kids didn’t have much place in this world they all shared. At least not for the time being. They might do fine and might be able to handle everything that everyone else could but the danger was too great for the both of them. Last of all Zane looked over at Sarah. She was sitting there looking up at the ceiling. Her hair was pulled back to keep it out of her eyes. She was dressed in men’s cloths and looked tough. Zane knew that she above everyone else except maybe Eddie could handle the world outside. Just as that thought crossed his mind Sarah looked down at him. Her huge eyes fell straight at his and his mind was made up.
“None of you can come with me.” He said and then the onslaught came. Immediately everyone started protesting.
“Now quiet, everyone.” Aaron shouted above the rest. After they went silent he went on. “Zane has a right to explain himself.” After studying out the group for a second he turned toward Zane. “Go on Zane.” He finished.
“My reasons are simple enough.” Zane started. “First is the fact that it’s dangerous out there and secondly is the fact that I can move better by myself. It’s easier for one man to find food than it is a group of seven.” He hated saying these things to all of these people. The truth of it was that he would enjoy having all of them with him. He forced himself to go on. “I would love to have all of you along for the trip but like I said before, I don’t even know where I am headed yet.”
“You are going to go to take Jacob out.” Aaron said in a calm voice. He held his hand out before Zane could voice a protest. “I know we never came to any agreement on this before but you know as well I as I do that this is something that must take place. You also know as well as I do that if anybody can do it, it is you.”
Zane though for a moment and then nodded his head. He knew it would come to this. Now that he thought about it, he had known since the first time he had seen Jacob. The man was tearing what little of the world was left apart and something had to be done. “I suppose you are right about that. I see now that if the job is to be done it is left up to me. But that just gives me all the more reason in the world, to go on alone.”
“I would think it would give you more reason for us to be with you.” This came from Stephen who had mostly been quiet. Everyone in the room looked toward him and he blushed a little but went on anyways. “Well, think about it. We all have certain traits that might come in handy on the road.” Zane was sure he was getting ready to list them but he held up his hand in protest this time.
“I have thought about what you all can offer.” Zane said “And I agree that each of you would be great to have along. But the fact remains that it’s very dangerous out there and some of us might end up dead before its all over. If I had my way, I would take Eddie with me and nobody else.”
A new wave of protest began. This time it wasn’t Aaron but Eddie that got everyone quiet.
“Listen everyone, listen.” He directed this to Zane. “I understand where you are coming from but I have to side with the others on this one.” Zane was shocked and a little sad that even though he picked Eddie to come with him it was Eddie who would argue the point. “Everyone here knows the dangers of this world. Everyone here has lived the dangers of this world for over two years now. I say let them come and when we know we are headed for danger we can have some of them stay behind.”
“That is exactly the thing I am trying to explain here.” Zane said. “If there is anything I have figured out so far is that danger comes without warning. You can’t decide when something will be dangerous, it just happens and if you’re not ready for it at all times then you will be on the wrong side of the blood bath. The only thing you say that comes close to convincing me is the fact that everyone knows the dangers and that they have all lived this nightmare for the last two years.”
“Then we can come?” Melissa asked already getting excited.
“I could argue all night and never convince any of you.” Zane said not hiding a smile on his face. He couldn’t lie to himself, he was actually glad to give in. “I can’t promise any of you that we will be successful and I can’t promise much of anything else, but I do promise I will do all I can do to keep you from harm. But keep in mind that is a very shallow promise in these days. Anything can happen and usually does.”
“When do we leave?” Sarah asked. She was the only one of the group that didn’t have an expression on her face.
“Yeah captain. When do we leave?” This came from Stephen who was still holding on to his book. “I would like to make a trip up stairs and pack a few good books before we go.”
“I want to get one thing strait before anything else.” Zane said. “I am not your leader and I am not in charge of this group.” Everyone looked to Aaron but Aaron looked back at Zane who went on. “You all misunderstand me, if we are going to be together for a long dangerous trip, then we are all going to work together and none of us will take a lead above the rest. In this we are all equal.”
Every one nodded their agreement. So Zane turned his Attention to Eddie. “Can you get me shells and oil for my weapons and how long would it take?”
“What millimeter are they and how much are we talking?” Eddie asked.
“I have my twins which are nine millimeter and the thirty-eight special I took from Kaid. I would like to have as much as we can carry to go along with us.”
“Sarah and I both have nines as well.” Eddie said. “We have some ammo but we will have to find more. The thirty-eight is easy enough. I have several boxes of them in my room. Are you up for a tip Sarah?”
She said she was and Eddie asked what everyone else wanted while he was out. After everyone had told the things they wanted the party agreed to Eddie’s suggestion that they leave out in two days. Zane was relieved to have a date set in which to depart.

Nineteen 10-15-06

They day of departure came upon them pretty fast. Eddie and Sarah had done a great job of getting the ammo. They had even managed to snag up a couple more guns. Zane gave orders for them to keep these hidden. It was decided that the kids, Liana and Aaron would carry the bulk of the food, clothing and ammunition. That way Eddie, Sarah and Zane could always be ready to drop their gear and fight if it came to that.
Zane tried to secretly protest on more than one occasion to Aaron about bringing the two twins but he would hear none of it so he eventually gave up. Finally on a sunny morning all seven of them was ready to leave out.
Everyone said goodbyes to Tara and wished her well. Aaron promised to return as soon as they could. She told them all how much she loved them and said she would hold down the bridge until they returned. Both sides shed a few tears. When Zane asked Aaron why she was the only one to stay behind, he answered by saying that someone had to hold claims to the building and that he was going to use this trip to send people back to her. People that could read and people that wanted to serve the bridge and help get the world back in order. Zane nodded and understood the wisdom behind this. This trip was not only to take out Jacob as he had originally thought but Aaron was going to use it for his own purposes as well.
Last to say goodbye to Tara was Zane. “Tara, take care of your self and if anything to big happens, just leave the building.”
“I will Zane.” She said looking sad. “Promise me you will keep the others safe.”
“I promise that I will try and that’s the best I can do.” He said giving her a hug. She hugged back in a tight embrace.
“I suppose that’s the best anybody can do.” She said with a tear rolling down her cheek. “I didn’t get to know you as well as I would have liked but I know you are a good man. I can’t read you like I can most people but I can read you in other ways. You are a good person and you have a lot to give to this group and to the bridge. One day the world will look back and thank you for what you are going to do.”
Zane let out a small chuckle. “I don’t know about that, Maybe they will see Aaron but all I am is a gunman and no more. The worlds full of people like me. It’s the thinkers behind people like me that deserve the credit. Besides all I want is a place to lay my head.”
She smiled a little at this and he gave her a kiss on the check. She blushed and without another word went down the hall and out of sight.
With that the party started their trip. They left by the same doors that they had all used on the day of Adams funeral.
The sun hung high in the sky and not a cloud was in sight but the cold wind cut right to the bone. All of them were dressed against the weather and Aaron told them that this was the way of spring in Ohio. To cheer up, those warmers days would soon march in.
Zane took the lead and Aaron stayed at his side. Eddie and Liana took the rear of the group with Melissa, Stephen and Sarah in the middle.
“So, do you know where Jacob is?” Zane asked Aaron.
“Of coarse I do.” Aaron answered. “Did you think I was just going to see if I could catch his scent in the air?” Zane looked over at him to see a smile on his face and let one of his own show. He felt like a damn fool smiling all the time but around Aaron and the others he couldn’t help it.
“Jacob is holding up in a town called Mansfield, Ohio. I couldn’t tell you exactly where in the town he is but I’m sure that won’t be hard to figure out once we get there. It’s not to far from the place you seen him from what I can tell. I have a map in my pack. We will look it over when we stop to rest but for now all we need to do is head north-east and we should hit interstate 71 and it will take us close to our destination. We are in Cincinnati, Ohio now and that’s not to far away. The seven of us walking, lets say 4 miles and hour is our average speed. Then I say we can be there in no more than four days figuring in sleep and whatever other stops we need to make.”
Zane was staring at Aaron. “You really have chewed on this a bit haven’t you. “ Aaron only laughed.
“Tell me, how do you know that Jacob is in this town Mansfield? How can you be so sure you are right?”
“My dreams, Zane,” He turned his head and looked back at the others, they all were doing okay and none of them was in earshot so he went on. “The same way I knew you would come to us and the same way I knew you would take us away from what we called home.”
“I hardly took you away from your home,” Zane protested and Aaron only laughed again. “I tried to do everything I could to keep you all there. If I remember right it was you and Eddie that put up the biggest fight.”
“Zane are you so foolish that you can’t see what you are?” Zane looked at him to find a hint of a joke but the old man face was placid. “Zane, no matter how much you protest you are our leader. You are the one that will bring new times to these people. Some of them might find death on this journey and some of them will for sure find life. As we march down this road it is for no other reason than you wanted us to come with you. If you didn’t you would have just agreed for us to come along with you and then slipped out during the night. But you waited the agreed time and we set out together.”
“I needed the shells that Eddie was getting me for my gun.” Zane said and this time Aaron looked up at him to see if he was joking. He busted out laughing when he seen Zane was joking. “No really” Zane went on “I did secretly want you all to come with me and that’s why I did wait. But I still think it would have been safer if I went alone or at least alone with Eddie.”
Both of them got quiet for a few moments and then Zane broke it by asking. “Aaron, what did you mean you seen it in your dreams. Did you really or is that just a way of saying you predicted it?”
“No, I really did dream it. I don’t dream it like what you are thinking. But it is a dream never the less. Some times I go to sleep at night and dream of things that really do come true. I knew that you would be coming to see us before you ever even arrived and I knew that Jacob was in a town called Mansfield before you ever told me about the Willard incident. I don’t ever see things as plain as I speak them and most of the time it takes me a while to puzzle things out, but on rare occasion things come in clearly to me. For instance four nights ago I dreamed of a sign with the words Mansfield written on them. Blood was smeared across the letters making it barely legible. That’s how I knew which way we should go.”
“So was it Jacob’s blood or ours?” Zane asked. “Because you do understand we are going to go into a nest of murderers, thieves and snakes right?”
“I know what we are headed for Zane, and I know the possibilities that we might all die. As far as the blood goes, it might not mean anything and it might mean that both Jacob and us will loose blood. I don’t know. All I do know is where he is.”
“What else have you dreamed?” Zane asked.
The old man smiled at him. “Nothing that is important as of yet.” He said and with that he dropped back to talk to Sarah. Zane walked alone for the rest of the day stewing in his thoughts. A deep worry had settled on him and he wondered what he had really gotten himself and these fine people into.
Twenty 10-15-06

They had been walking for about six hours when Eddie made his way up to Zane. “I think we should stop and take a rest.” He said. “The kids look tired and I think I need a break as well.” He didn’t really feel tired but he knew that the others would be getting leg cramps soon enough and if he didn’t say anything, Zane would walk all night long.
“That’s a good idea.” Zane said. Lets rest here for a little and then we will move on till dark with another small break for dinner and then walk till dark or we find a place to stay for the night.” Eddie nodded agreement and went back to tell the others. They all sat around in a circle and talked for a little while. Melissa seemed on edge to Eddie and so he asked her what was bothering her.
“Well, to tell the truth, I’m not for sure.” She said with an obvious forced smile. “I just have an odd feeling. Almost like we are being followed or something.”
“We are being followed.” Stephen piped in. “It’s Kaid. He’s been following us for some time now. At least an hour or so.”
“Why didn’t you say something earlier if you knew this?” Sarah asked. Followed up by Liana. “Oh god, what is he doing here?”
“I didn’t realize what it was until just now.” Stephen said defensively. “But now that I think about it I can feel him. He’s not alone either.”
Eddie wondered how Stephen and Melissa could know this and he or anybody else didn’t. He looked over at Aaron to see if maybe he had known but the same look of confusion was on his face. Looking over at Zane he noticed that Zane looked relaxed and unalarmed.
“What do we do Zane?” He asked. He was a little worried but he was proud of the steadiness in his voice. He thought that he already knew the answer but he wanted to hear it from Zane to be sure.
“Nothing.” Zane said and laid his head back on the curb of the road. “I’m going to get a little rest before we take off. I suggest you all do the same.”
“How can you not be worried?” Sarah asked. “We know what he is capable of and if he has people with him it will make his job all that much easier.”
“I can be so relaxed,” Zane said lifting his head for a moment to look at the group. His black hair was growing long and his bangs fell in front of his eyes. “because, we are still on the edge of town and they might turn back around when they realize that we are going to keep on traveling. And even if they don’t. They wont attack until it is dark and dark is still a few hours away.” He smiled at them all and laid his head back down. Without opening his eyes again he said “If it makes you feel better, set up a watch and one of you keep your eyes open until we are ready to move again. As for me I am going to get a little rest. I will take up first watch tonight when we stop.”
With that he rolled over on his side and didn’t move till they were ready to head on again. In the mean time Eddie told the others that he would take up the watch. Although Zane seemed to be the only one to get any rest the others did seem refreshed when they moved on again. The total time they rested was about an hour and thirty minutes. Eddie couldn’t stop himself from wondering why it was Stephen and Melissa that noticed them being followed. Aaron must have been chewing on this same thing because for the rest of the night he walked alone and even when they stopped to have their evening meal he sat by himself and spoke little to anyone.

Twenty-One 10-15-06

That night only found them about ten miles from the town line. Eddie Watched as everyone settled in around a small grove of trees. Tents were set up and things looked good for a nights rest. Zane took the first watch as he had promised and the night was peaceful until about three hours in.
It was Melissa that stirred them all. From her tent that she shared with Liana she let out an ear piercing scream. Eddie was up in an instant and to her tent the next moment. By the time he got there he seen Zane had already made it there with his guns drawn. Liana was holding Melissa close to her and the young girl was babbling something.
Zane quickly took control of the situation. “Bring here out here Liana.” He demanded in a sound voice. “She has seen something.”
Liana did as she was told and brought her out. It took a few moments and Eddie realized that Zane was on the edge of his patience. After they were both out Zane grabbed Melissa and sat her down. By this time Stephen was close by with Aaron right next to him. Sarah had shown up as well. She was wearing a blue nightgown that was almost transparent. Eddie noticed a quick flash from Zane’s eyes and then it was gone as quick as it had come.
“Melissa, what have you seen?” Zane asked in a soft and not unkind voice. When she didn’t answer he firmed his voice and asked again. “Melissa, Tell me what you have seen.”
Melissa’s eyes lost some of the glaze that had taken over them and she looked at Zane. Her glare seemed to pierce right though him.
“Keep her away from me.” She said in such a low voice Eddie had to strain to hear it.” I don’t want that bitch around me. She scares me.”
Zane grabbed her by her shoulders and shook her. Stephen seen this and was ready to jump and save her when Aaron grabbed him and held him back. “Don’t interfere boy.” He said. “We need to know who she is talking about. She is seeing something that none of us can and it may be something we need to know.”
Zane still was shaking Melissa and Eddie was about to protest on behalf of Stephen when something unexpected happened. Melissa’s young face seemed to transform into that of an old lady. Her eyes drooped and became bloodshot. The skin that claimed her cheek bones sagged as if it was tired of its position. Even her nose twisted out of shape. It seemed to grow longer and thinner and gain a sharp point. This all took place in about a fifteen second span.
Before any one could give any kind of reaction, the newly transformed Melissa pushed Zane so hard that he landed on his back. Eddie went to grab her but she dodged him with quick skill and grace. Before he knew it she was on her feet and bent over like that of an old lady. She circled around the group still bent over. Then she began to speak.
“Everyone stay away from me.” She croaked in a scratchy voice. It reminded Eddie for some reason of a time when he had a stone stuck in the cracks of his boot and tried to rub it out by dragging it across the sidewalk. “Your precious daughter is fine.” The voice went on. “I’m just borrowing her body for a moment. She above all the rest of you has the potential for great things. I seen the opportunity to use her and that’s what I did. You can blame it all on the king if you want. If that makes things easier to deal with. Besides you would have done the same Zane Morris.” As she said this last thing she looked at Zane and burst out laughing.
“That’s right I know you all.” She said after her fit of laughter had passed. “But I’m not your enemy as you so easily assume. I have come to give you a warning.”
“If you are our friend, then you pick a hell of a way to show it.” Eddie looked to see who said this and was shocked to find it was Aaron. His voice was commanding and sounded young.
“That’s right.” Sarah said angrily as she pointed a gun at her. Eddie wondered where she had gotten it from, because he had never noticed it before. “Say what it is that you have to say and be gone or I will put a hole through you, you bitch.”
The old lady that had taken over Melissa’s body started a new wave of laughter. Every one waited for her to finish. When she did she smiled at Sarah and said. “Now, now, now, misses. You might want to put that away. You would only put a hole in the vessel. It wouldn’t hurt me one bit but your friend would never be the same, I should think. Besides, have I not already told you that I am on your side?”
“Witch,” Zane said. “I have heard tale of your kind before, now say what it is you want to say and be gone.”
“Very well,” The witch said. “You were always one to get right to the point Zane.” When she seen the question on Zane’s face she went on with a new smile on here face. “Yeah, I have known you before. Since childhood, I have watched you. I knew this day would come and I knew even then that Jacob would rise up and try to cease the world in its moment of weakness. That is why I have come to you now. You see Zane, you and I share a common friend. He is my king and creator and was once a king of this world. If you are as smart as I think you are you will put it all together and figure it out. But in the mean time I must tell you that I too have my purposes for wanting the old man brought down. No, never mind what my goals are, just take this warning from me and do what you will with it. And don‘t worry I‘ll see some of you again.”
Suddenly her eyes rolled to the back of her head and then a foul smell came from her. To Eddie it smelled of old piss and rotten fruit. Then a deep rich voice came from her. Melissa’s lips didn’t even move but the voice came from her never the less. What she said sent chills up Eddies back. Just hearing the voice and smelling the smell made him want to puke. It was hours after that his stomach finally settled down and resumed some normality.
“Be warned, Jacob has aligned his solders. Again be warned the devils eyes are on you. Be warned satin has taken mans form. Again be warned the man of shadows has passed this side of the river.” With each sentence she crew louder and louder until it was almost a scream. “Be warned the post has it’s demons. Be warned death has entered the field of men.”
As soon as the last came from her mouth her head jerked forward and Melissa’s young beautiful blue eyes had replaced that of the witches. The face was still that of the witches but the eyes told Eddie that she was gone or at least on her way out.
Melissa said in her own voice before she collapsed to the ground a single word. “Oh.” As soon as she fell to the ground she was swarmed by Zane, Aaron, Liana and Stephen.

Twenty-Two 10-16-06

Eddie stayed around long enough to see Melissa get back to normal and then he left the camp sight and made his way a few hundred yards away. He found a nice spot where he could get some rest and relax his mind a little. It wasn’t long however when Zane walked up and sat down beside him.
“That was something wasn’t it?” Eddie asked. Zane nodded his head and brought out a pack of smokes. Eddie took one thankfully.
“Is everyone okay?” Eddie asked after he realized Zane didn’t plan on saying anything.
“Everyone is fine.” Zane answered through a cloud of smoke. Aaron is getting every one packed and ready to go.”
“I figured we would be leaving soon.” Eddie replied. “How is Melissa?”
“She is doing alright, considering.” Zane said smiling. “She is made of some strong stuff let me tell you.”
“The witch said she was didn’t she?” Eddie said thinking back over the conversation. “Tell me Zane, What did she mean when she said you both have the same acquaintance? Who is it that you both know?”
“I’m not for sure to be honest with you Eddie.” Zane said. The puzzled look he wore let Eddie know that he was telling the truth but there was something else hiding there as well.
“Come on let’s get our stuff together and get out of here.” Zane went on. “It don’t look like we are going to get any rest tonight and the others might not wait for us.”
“Yeah, okay. I suppose your right.” Eddie said. “I know I couldn’t sleep now if I tried.”

Twenty-Three 10-17-06

David Hagan had been working for Jacob for almost a year now. He didn’t mind a hard days work at all. Jacob had always made it worth his while. There was always food to eat, cigarettes to smoke, liquor to drink and women to sleep with. But as him and Marty continued the nasty job that Jacob had assigned to them, he realized that he had done precious little of anything the last few weeks. Anything except run errands for Jacob. Not to mention, finding people to do his cleaning. The guy was horrible about cleanliness. Everything had to be perfect or he would go crazy. David could understand to a degree but this was just too much.
Jacob had his own crew just for cleaning, but as a way of punishment he had set David and innocent Marty with this task last night when he put a hole in the head off of a young girl that had left a cleaning sponge in his personal bathroom. David remembered it well. The stupid girl had even had warnings from her friends and co-workers. Everyone knew how Jacob was and everyone (everyone that was smart at least) avoided bringing him to anger. Leave it one young smart mouth to go and have her skull removed and leave a mess like this behind. As David scrubbed the carpet trying to bring the cruel stain out, he reflected on what exactly had happened.
10-19-06
For the first time in days, David had found time to nip him a little off. (That’s what he liked to call it when he had found a nice little lady to spend the night with.) He was right in the middle of love making when his bedroom door flew open.
“Jacob’s in a rage.” Came the voice of a friend named Marty Hammons. Marty was a greasy, goofy fellow that obviously didn’t care much for self hygiene. He had on overbite from hell and was ugly as mud but one thing David had realized about him long ago, was that he was as loyal as a good dog and that was hard enough to find in a crooked world such as this.
“He demanded me to find you and get you up to his office right away.”
A dread settled upon David. It felt like someone had punched him in the chest hard enough to make his breath forsake him. When Jacob was in a rage, people usually ended up finding that there was indeed another hole in their head. One that they must have overlooked their entire lives.
“Mother fucker,” David said as he jumped up already scrambling for his pants that hung on the edge of the bed. “What the hell happened this time?” He asked as he slipped his t-shirt over his head. He took one last regrettable look back at the topless red head in his bed and walked out the door with Marty. He noticed that Marty was giving her a greedy look as well, but didn’t bother saying anything.
Marty told him the story about how a young girl name Stacy something or other had taken service under Jacob for a total of three days before she decided to argue with him. Jacob was furious and had demanded David to get upstairs before he lost his temper.
“Mother fucker,” David said again after the story had been relayed to him. “I was the one that found that stupid bitch too. I told her the rules and the way Jacob was. She agreed that Jacob wasn’t someone to piss off. Why would she do this? Well it doesn’t matter.” He realized he was ranting in fear but went on anyways. “Well if he doesn’t kill her, then I will.”
“Think Jake’s gonna be pissed boss?” Marty asked with a ignorant grin on his face.
“Of coarse he is dumb ass.” David said thinking of how pissed Jacob was really going to be. “And stop calling him Jake, if you ever slip and say that in front of him he will make sure you never say anything again.” God, how he dreaded to deal with Jacob when the man was pissed! A cold chill ran up his spine as he realized he was afraid to deal with Jacob when the old shit was in the best of moods.
10-20-06
When David first walked into the second floor office room and seen the situation that was taking place, a bomb of dread dropped on him like he had never experienced before. He had expected to come into a room where Jacob was and see him going off in a fit of rage. Instead he found a Jacob that was sitting cross legged on the edge of a giant wooden desk. He was perfectly calm, with his hands folded neatly in his lap. Everything in the room was in order, as was always the case with the old man’s living quarters. To the untrained eye this was a perfectly calm room. But David knew better. David knew things that others didn’t. For instance David knew that the hollow look in Jacob’s eye’s meant very bad things was going to happen. When David had occasion to see Jacob in this mood, he always wondered if his time was up and this was his last few moments on earth. To him, it was like seeing the devil and knowing him a first name basis. It seemed that Jacob would leave his body and some demon would inherit it for a while. Things were always bad for someone when this happened.
Before fear could overtake him entirely he realized that Marty had entered the room with him. It was like the blessed rope that dangled down to a drowning man and David seized it to pull himself at least part of the way back to some coherent thought. No matter what happened to him here today he didn’t want anything to happen to dumb ole Marty. The guy was to pitiful to see anything bad happen to him. Besides maybe if he could protect Marty a little he could find a little self redemption for all the shit he himself had done.
“Marty,” He said in a cracked and chocked voice he didn’t recognize as his own. “Why don’t you make your way back down stairs and wait for me there?”
By the look on Marty’s face he was getting ready to protest but he never got the chance. Jacob started to talk and even brainless Marty knew to shut up and listen.
“David, don’t you think that Marty should stick around a bit?” The old man asked grinning. The sickening way he looked made David want to scream and run as far as he could get.
11-12-06
Instead, he stood there in his terror, not saying a word. When it was apparent that he wasn’t going to argue, Jacob went on.
“I have a little treat for you and I think you should share it with your good friend Marty.” His eyes shown with pure delight. David could feel the fear coming from Marty. He looked over at him and noticed that Marty was indeed shaking. Marty’s hand continually caressed his beard as a way of calming himself. When Jacob staring talking again, David looked back toward him temporarily forgetting Marty.
“Danny, Michael, bring the whore in.” The smile slipped from Jacob’s face, replaced by one disgust as the two strong men entered into the room from a door behind the large desk. They led Stacy to a chair and sat her down hard. Her hands and legs where tied tightly. David could see a redness where the rope had torn its way through the flesh at her wrist. Around the back of her neck and leading to her face, a length of green cloth had been tied. Part of it had been twisted into a knot and shoved in her mouth. Her eyes were darting back and forth across the room. David could see the panic in her.
No sooner than she was sat down, she bounded back to her feet, only to trip to the floor. Danny grabbed her and easily stood her back up. As soon as she was back on her feet Michael gave her a fast and hard punch to the stomach.
“Ugggggggg.” She groaned as she slumped over almost falling back to the floor again. Danny caught her and shoved her back into the seat. She looked up at them this time with hate in her eyes. Her chest heaved and her nostrils flared as she drew in deep breaths.
“Isn’t she amusing David?” Jacob asked, getting up and walking toward her. “And to think, this little sweet thing is here because you found her and decided that she would go so well with the rest of my staff.”
“I….I am sorry about that sir,” David said as Jacob reached her and started running his fingers through Stacy’s untidy hair. She twisted and jerked her head back and forth until Danny grabbed her and held her still. For good measure Michael walked to the back of the seat and put his hands on her shoulders.
“Ugg Ugg.” She said through the cloth in her mouth. Jacob only continued to play with here hair.
“I know you are sorry David,” Jacob said calmly “and that’s why I’m going to let you do the duty of cleaning up the mess you made tonight. As a way of apologizing.”
David was about to ask what mess he was talking about when Jacob pulled a gun out from the breast flap of his jacket and shot Stacy in her left thigh. She pushed up in her seat only to meet the strong hands that still held her down. Muffled screams erupted from behind the cloth in her mouth. Jacob held his smoking gun to the other leg and shot again, this time her knee exploded. David saw pink flesh and white bone for a second, and then blood poured in and overtook everything.
This time she was reeling so hard that she flipped the chair over and fell to the floor. The brown carpet underneath went black wherever she dragged her wounded knee and thigh. David could hear whimpers coming from Marty who now stood behind him. David himself was breaking out into a sweat, as he continued to watch Stacy twist and groan on the ground. Finally she relaxed and lay still. Her eyes seemed to glaze over and stare into space. Soft sobs came from behind the gag. Tears ran down her checks and hit the floor.
Jacob, who had been watching this with an impassive on his face, walked up to her and lowered his gun to her head. She only countered with a vacant stare.
“Clean this up.” He said and then pulled the trigger indifferently. The bullet made a clean hole in her forehead as the back of her skull exploded. Without looking back or saying a word, Jacob and his two men walked out the door.
© Copyright 2006 cuthbert_2 (UN: cuthbert_2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
cuthbert_2 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/466491-World-Again