*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/420763-Grandpas-Encounter-Part-1
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1070119
It's all her fault.
#420763 added April 20, 2006 at 10:54pm
Restrictions: None
Grandpa's Encounter, Part 1
Here’s another story that was told to me, this one by my Grandpa, so hold on to your seat.

Grandpa would gather us around on a stormy night or when we were out camping in the woods and tell us of things from long ago. This one involves him when he was in his twenties, and he lived to just two weeks shy of ninety-nine years, to give you an idea of how far back he could recall.

I’ll do my best to tell it the way he did.

“I had two jobs back then, one was part time at the C&O Railroad, the other was working in a coal mine. They didn’t have the machinery they do today for working in a coal mine. Back then we crawled on our hands and knees with just a pick axe and a carbide light on our hats, and we used our own two hands to remove the black gold from its dark tomb. I had younguns to feed and a wife to support and the dream of paying the bank off to keep my land so I could quit the other jobs and run my farm and be my own boss.

“One time at the mine, quite a few men were out sick or had sickness at home that they had to take care of. All I could do was pray the sickness didn’t reach me or my family; there just wasn’t enough doctors to go around and some things they didn’t have any idea how to treat. Some folks died, including children. They asked at the mine if any of the men could work more hours and promised bonuses to those who could. I chose to be one of those men. I was working fourteen and sixteen hour shifts three days a week at the mine and six to ten hour days at the C&O for the other three days. I always took at least one day off from work each week just to rest and be with family.

“There was one day that I worked from 10:30 at night until 6:30 in the morning and then pulled the next shift from 6:30 until 3:00 p.m. The only time I came up out of that mine was to eat, and while I was inside, I couldn’t tell if it was daylight or dark. At the end of the second shift, all I had on my mind was to get home. It was Saturday and the next day was my day off. Even though I had worked those hours, I still had a two-mile walk to look forward to before I got home. I lived about six miles from the mine and got a ride with one of the mine’s wagons to the end of the road where I lived, but it was still a two mile walk from there, carrying my lunch pail, water canteen, my hat with the lamp, and a small carbide lantern.

“By the time I was dropped off, it was starting to get dark. The sun was slowly going down behind the trees and hills. I had walked this path many a time, but this time it just didn’t seem right. Something inside me told me to get a stick, so I took my handkerchief from my back pocket and tied my pail to the side of my bib overalls. I found a fairly hefty oak stick that was big enough to use as a walking stick and started walking again. As I was walking I could feel like something was watching me, could hear it moving in the bushes as I moved. I thought to myself, It must be some kind of animal stalking me, waiting to make its move.

“I stopped suddenly and thumped the stick on the ground. Whatever it was stopped too. I couldn’t see it but I knew it was still there amongst the trees and bushes that ran alongside of the road. I looked around again, seeing nothing.

“I started to sing.”

What a friend we have in Jesus (Thump)
All our sins and griefs to bear (Thump)
What a privilege to carry (Thump)
Everything to God in prayer (Thump)


When Grandpa would tell this story, he would sing and play the song on his fiddle. With each “thump,” he would stop and strike the fiddle with his thumb (if we were outside) or stomp his foot on the floor (if we were inside).

In that manner, he continued the story...

“I picked up the pace, both walking and singing.”

O what peace we often forfeit (Thump)

”And so did the sound coming from the bush.”

O what needless pain we bear (Thump)

”It was getting darker.”

All because we do not carry (Thump)

”Deep shadows of the trees were starting to cross the road.”

Everything to God in prayer (Thump)

”Again I heard a voice inside myself.”

Have we trials and temptations? (Thump)

”It was telling me I had to make it to the Corner Church.”

Is there trouble anywhere? (Thump)

“My pace became even more brisk.”

We should never be discouraged (Thump)

“I was starting to feel my legs grow weary.”

Take it to the lord in prayer (Thump)

“Whatever was in the shadows was keeping up.”

Can we find a friend so faithful? (Thump)

“My breath was getting short, but I felt like I had to keep singing.”

Who will all our sorrows share? (Thump)

“If I can just make it to the church.”

Jesus knows our every weakness (Thump)

“I prayed, ‘Lord, give me strength.’”

Take it to the Lord in prayer (Thump)

“I had to slow my pace down some.”

Are we weak and heavy laden? (Thump)

“Whatever it was, its pace slowed too.”

’Cumbered with a load of care? (Thump)

“Now I heard this thing coming up further on the embankment.”

Precious Savior still our refuge (Thump)

“I could see the Corner Church ahead.”

Take it to the Lord in prayer (Thump)

“With the church in view, I found new strength and picked up the pace once again.”

Do thy friends despise, forsake thee? (Thump)

“Now I could hear the thing up on the road.”

Take it to the Lord in prayer (Thump)

“I didn’t turn around, I was too close to the church. I could hear it come up on the road and go back down again in the bushes.”

In his arms he’ll take and shield thee (Thump)

“Just a few more yards. I could feel the thing bearing down on me.”

Thou wilt find a solace there. (Thump)

“I spun around and swung the stick with all my might – and hit nothing but air.

“I realized I was standing right next to the well right in front of the Corner Church. I was breathing hard, looking for the thing that had been chasing me for a little more than a mile. Darkness was about to take over with the exception of the two lights in front of the church, one in front of the sign and the other just above the door."

...To be continued...

© Copyright 2006 TeflonMike (UN: teflonmike at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
TeflonMike has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/420763-Grandpas-Encounter-Part-1