*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/417400-Gift-Opening-with-Mom--Dad
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1070119
It's all her fault.
#417400 added April 4, 2006 at 11:15pm
Restrictions: None
Gift-Opening with Mom & Dad
Mom told Lenny to give Grandpa the bags from under the tree.

“You didn’t have to get me anything,” Grandpa said. “Just having the boys over for Christmas was gift enough.” He turned to Lenny, “Hand them their gifts, Lenny, and then get the socks, yours and your brothers’.”

Lenny handed Mom and Dad their packages then fetched our socks from where they hung on either side of the fireplace. He gave Lanny and me ours, then sat down on the floor with his own.

Mom said, “Go ahead and open yours first, Dad.” Grandpa reached into the bag and pulled out a brightly-wrapped present. He unwrapped a box which contained a new pair of work boots.

“Thanks,” Grandpa said, “now I have a whole new outfit, right down to my shoes.”

“Well, open the other one,” my mom said.

Grandpa reached into the other bag and pulled out a bigger box. He opened it and inside was a red and black flannel hunter’s jacket with a matching hat. Grandpa laughed, “Now I am complete! Thank you both very much.” He gestured to my dad, “Glen, go ahead now and open yours.”

Dad unwrapped his gift and inside were six heavy duty white t-shirts, the kind he liked, and also a new wallet and belt. He thanked Grandpa and held up the wallet to admire it.

Mom spoke up, “Well, I guess it’s my turn.” She opened her gift and just sat there, staring into the box for a moment. Dad and my brothers and I just looked at her.

“What is it?” Dad asked.

Mom had tears in her eyes as she carefully set the box down in her lap and reached inside. Gingerly, she pulled out an old vase and held it in her hands.

“You found it.”

Grandpa smiled. “Yes, I did.” His voice was soft as he continued. “Your mom hid that vase back when the other one got broken. She had put it way down in the bottom of the cedar chest, wrapped in cloth. I found it when I was getting out blankets for the kids to use and for the sleighride. I remember her telling you that it was yours when you grew up, so I’m guessing you still want it.

Still holding it very carefully in her hands, my mom went over to give Grandpa a kiss. She then turned and held it up for all of us to see.

I asked, “Was that Grandma’s?”

“Yes,” my mom said, “but it was her mother’s first. There were two and they sat here on this mantle, but one day someone broke one, I’m not sure how it happened. All I know is, I thought they were very pretty at the time and mom said that when I was old enough and settled down, she would give them to me. And here it is, at least one of them.”

Grandpa said, “It was your Aunt Lottie that broke it. She was trying to help clean and didn’t quite put it back on the mantle just right and it fell and hit the hearth. Both your grandma and your aunt were very upset, and that’s when she put this one up.”

Mom carefully placed it back in the box which Grandpa had lined with cotton. She put the lid back on and kept it on her lap, as if she couldn’t bear to be parted with it now that she could finally call it her own.

My brothers and I started pulling things out of our socks. There was an apple and an orange, a pair of gloves, a Lifesaver Story Book, and a new baseball for each of us. We thanked Grandpa and he smiled and said, “You’re welcome.”

Grandpa stood and stretched. “I don’t know about you folks, but I’ve sat here long enough. There’s pie from Dot’s a-waitin’ for us if you’re ready.” We all agreed and headed for the kitchen. I watched Mom as she placed her box in a safe place behind her chair, then followed her into the kitchen, too. I’d been waiting for that pumpkin pie, it had been calling to me for a while.


My Mom's Vase

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **


© Copyright 2006 TeflonMike (UN: teflonmike at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
TeflonMike has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/417400-Gift-Opening-with-Mom--Dad