*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/416949-Christmas-Dinner
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1070119
It's all her fault.
#416949 added April 2, 2006 at 9:47pm
Restrictions: None
Christmas Dinner
We started putting things on the table and heating food back up. Before long, the table was ready with everything in place. On Grandma’s white tablecloth with hand-embroidered wreaths and bells all around and lace on the edges, sat the turkey on a large platter with carving knife and fork waiting next to it, bowls with covers, and white china plates with silverware next to them. It looked like a setting right out of the Saturday Evening Post, like a painting by Norman Rockwell.

We went back into the front room and sat down. Grandpa said, “They won’t be too long, it’s getting pretty cold out there. Your mom never cared much for the cold and snow, she liked staying inside if she could help it. Looking out at the snow through a window was just fine with her.”

Grandpa told more stories about our aunts and uncles and mom when they were kids. We sat there listening and were laughing about some of the antics they had pulled, when we noticed the sleigh pulling back into the front yard. We went outside onto the front porch to greet them.

Dad climbed out of the sled with a comment about how cold it had gotten. Grandpa asked if they had a good time. Both Mom and Dad agreed they did as they hurried into the house to get warm.

Grandpa turned to Lenny and Lanny, “You two, unhook Jack and take him back over to the barn. Mike, you get the bricks out and unwrap them and stack them up in the corner of the porch, then check and see if there’s anything else left in the sleigh and bring it in. Then the three of you can cover the sleigh back up so no more snow gets in it. Tom will probably pick it up tomorrow.”

“Yes, sir.” We went back in the house to get our coats and hats on and came back out to do the jobs Grandpa asked. As Lenny and Lanny unhooked Jack and walked him toward the barn, I started taking the bricks out of the sleigh two at a time, unwrapping them and stacking them on the porch like Grandpa said. Soon I saw my brothers flinging snow at one another as they headed back from the barn. I went and got the broom off the porch and started sweeping the sleigh out. They walked right past me to go and get the tarp that was still beside the house, lying on the wood pile.

Lenny and Lanny came around the house carrying the tarp and all three of us opened it up to shake it out. A gust of wind coming up the hill caught the tarp and lifted it up to where we almost lost it. The tarp slowly floated down on top of the sleigh. My brothers pushed up on the side of the sleigh so that I could tuck the tarp under the runner, then we did the other side.

We went up on the porch and swept off our shoes, and they went inside as I finished sweeping the porch and steps again. I put the broom back, looked around once more, and went in through the front door. Everybody was in the front room, talking.

“Is everything done, Mike?” Grandpa asked.

“Yes, sir,” I replied.

“Well, then, let’s eat before the food gets cold.” We all went into the kitchen and Mom and Dad were surprised to see how much food there was.

Smiling, my dad said, “Look at that turkey.”

Grandpa told them about when Uncle Hayes and he went hunting. “I was just lucky to bag one that big and Hayes got himself a nice sized one too.”

We all took our places. Grandpa said grace and added that he was thankful for having us all together. He carved the turkey as we passed our plates to him, making sure everyone had enough on their plates, then we started passing the other platters and bowls to each other. Everyone enjoyed their meal and the mealtime conversation.

Grandpa, Mom, and Dad went into the front room while we cleaned up the kitchen. While we were doing the dishes, Lenny said, “Once we get home, it’ll be like having another Christmas waiting for us.”

“I wonder if they decorated everything,” Lanny said.

I said, “I’m sure they did.”

We had just finished the last of the dishes when Grandpa called us to come into the front room.

Grandpa said, “It seems we have a few more gifts to unwrap and you boys haven’t got your stockings down yet.”

© Copyright 2006 TeflonMike (UN: teflonmike at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
TeflonMike has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/416949-Christmas-Dinner