*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/415883-Last-Minute-Preparations
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1070119
It's all her fault.
#415883 added March 28, 2006 at 8:16pm
Restrictions: None
Last Minute Preparations
The snow blade that Grandpa was talking about hooked on the back of the tractor and set at an angle to force the snow to one side of the road. The depth was adjusted by a lever and with each pass it went deeper and deeper until the road surface was cleared. The tractor also had a bucket scoop on the front that Grandpa used when he had a lot of snow to remove at one time, but it was slower to use than the blade.

The tractor was kept in the barn, and just about a hundred yards from the barn was a little building where Grandpa stored his diesel fuel. With the blade in place, Grandpa climbed upon the tractor and in a few moments, the tractor came to life with a puff of black smoke. Grandpa put it into gear as Lenny and Lanny opened the barn doors. After Grandpa drove the tractor out, they closed the doors behind him.

Lenny and Lanny went their separate ways to do their appointed chores (milking the cow and fetching eggs). I checked each animal to make sure they were fed and had plenty of water. We were just talking with each other to make sure everything was done, when we heard the tractor coming back to the barn. Lenny and Lanny ran over to the doors to let Grandpa in as I watched from the other side of the barn. Grandpa turned the tractor around and backed it in and my brothers again shut the doors. Lenny asked if he wanted them to take the blade back off.

“No, it’s easier to take off than to put on by yourself.” Grandpa looked around. “Is everything done?”

“Yes, sir,” we replied.

“Good, then let’s get back to the house, we have plenty more to get done.”

When we got back to the kitchen, Grandpa told Lanny and I to start cleaning up the front room and parlor; he and Lenny would keep working on dinner. Lanny and I started in the front room, dusting, sweeping, and organizing.

Lanny asked me, “What do you think Grandpa got us?”

I told him “Anything’s fine with me.”

“When do you think he will let us open them?”

“Maybe when we get caught up on everything.”

Lanny started picking up speed and so did I. It wasn’t long and we had both rooms done (they weren’t that big anyway). We went back into the kitchen to see what was next.

Grandpa said, “Lanny, you go and get the bedroom cleaned and might as well pack up your and Lenny’s belongings. Mike, go and sweep off the front porch and steps. I already cut a path in the front yard with the tractor.”

Lanny went his way, I went mine. I stepped out onto the front porch and looked out in amazement. The driveway was cleared and so was the road, the snow banked up on both sides of each. There were birds fluttering around the dogwood, after the popcorn strings and seedcobs. I swept the snow off the porch and steps and shook the mat in front of the door.

I paused again, looking at the sleigh and thinking Grandpa was right; I’ll never forget that ride and the joy that it brought to me. I looked at the tree in the window and it was funny, it seemed almost like a dream, as I thought of how it had only been two days back when I had climbed up that tree to cut it.

I placed the broom by the door and went back inside. The smell of the food cooking was mouth-watering. I went into the bedroom and my suitcase was still on the bed from that morning. I packed up my clothes and shut the case and sat it down next to the bed. I looked around the room to make sure that everything was the way that we had found it.

When I walked back into the kitchen, Lanny was there, eating. Grandpa said, “Get yourself something to eat to hold you over until your folks show up.” There was so much to choose from, so I had a little of everything. Except the pies, it wouldn’t look right if they had pieces missing out of them. I had to at least smell them though, pumpkin, apple, and blackberry. I settled for some cookies instead.

Grandpa announced, “We’re done, all we have to do now is keep everything warm that needs to be. I’m going to fix me a plate too. Come on Lenny, let’s eat.”

“This sure is good, Grandpa,” I said. Lenny and Lanny agreed. After we were done eating and our dishes were done, Grandpa looked at us.

“Well,” he said, “I guess we need to go into the front room for a spell.”

“Yes, sir!” we said. Grandpa led the way and we each took our usual places.

Once he’d settled into his chair, Grandpa said “I guess while we’re waiting, you could open your gifts.”

“What about yours, Grandpa?” I asked.

“Mine?”

“Right there,” Lenny pointed to a stack.

“Well, I’ll be hanged, I never even noticed. Thank you, boys,” Grandpa said.

“Thank us for what?” I smiled, “Are you sure it was us?”

Grandpa looked at me and just laughed. “Okay, I asked for that. Each of you get your gifts now and start from the biggest to the smallest.”

© Copyright 2006 TeflonMike (UN: teflonmike at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
TeflonMike has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/415883-Last-Minute-Preparations