*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/413450-Worst-for-Wear
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1070119
It's all her fault.
#413450 added March 16, 2006 at 8:13pm
Restrictions: None
Worst for Wear
It’s Christmas Eve! As I awoke, it was the first thought that came to my mind. I quickly and quietly made my bed, gathered my clothes, and brought them into the parlor to lay them on a chair. I took off for the front room and looked all around with a sigh of relief. Everything was still there. Good, it wasn’t a dream, I said to myself.

I went into the kitchen and Grandpa was fixing breakfast. “Merry Christmas,” I said, “and good morning, Grandpa.”

“Good morning and merry Christmas to you,” he replied.

I went over and peered out the window of the back door to see how much snow had fallen since last night. Turning to Grandpa, I said, “It looks to be about an inch and a half of new snow.”

He asked me, “Did you sleep well last night?”

“Yes, sir. I feel a little sore from yesterday’s fast pace.”

“I feel it, too,” Grandpa said, “but once we get moving, it will pass. Go and get ready for breakfast.”

Off I went. I gathered my clothes and headed for the bathroom, got all cleaned up, then returned to the kitchen. Grandpa was sitting down at the table with his coffee. He looked at me and smiled.

With a chuckle, he said, “Let’s find out if your brothers have as much fire in them as you do.” He got up from the table and headed for the bedroom. I could hear him say, “It’s time to get up, boys,” then I heard the thumping and mumbling start as Grandpa returned to the kitchen.

Lenny and Lanny came staggering in, looking the worst for wear. When I hollered, “Merry Christmas!” they just stood there for a moment (the bodies were moving but the brains weren’t awake).

After a moment, they both mumbled, “Merry Christmas.”

Grandpa laughed. “Merry Christmas and good morning. You boys go and get dressed and try to wake up.”

“Yes, sir,” they chimed as they left the room, still dragging their feet and pawing their faces.

Grandpa shook his head as he watched them leave, then announced, “We have a few extra things that need tending to after we get done with the barn.” I just smiled.

Lanny was the first to appear and sit down at the table. Shortly, Lenny came in and took his place. Grandpa said grace and we ate and talked about last night’s events. By the time breakfast was over, everyone had perked up. We cleared off our plates and put them to soak, got our coats and hats on, and headed for the barn.

As soon as we stepped outside on the back porch, the cold hit us. If my brothers weren’t completely awake before, they sure were then. Grandpa swept the steps off, then turned to me.

“About an inch and a half, I’d say.” We both smiled.

Down the steps we went and towards the barn. Once we got to the barn, Grandpa asked me to put Jack out in the corral. I asked him if Patches could go too, this time.

He replied, “Yes, I guess she needs to run, too.” I got the rope, then climbed the stall where Jack was and he let me put it over his head. Patches looked sad and I told her I’d be back for her. I led Jack out to the corral and let him in, then climbed the gate and took the rope off his head. He took off and I watched for a moment, then climbed back down to go get Patches.

When she saw me climbing up with the rope in my hand, she seemed excited. She was eager to get out. After a moment, she finally held still long enough for me to slip the rope around her. She led me out of the barn, jerking me and bumping me; I had to watch out so I didn’t get stepped on. She was tugging me all the way over to the corral.

Boy, once she got into the corral and I let her loose, you should have seen her go! Jack seemed to be annoyed that she was invading his space while she frolicked around him. She even rolled over in the snow a few times. I watched for a while, then it dawned on me that I had to get to work. I took off like a gang buster, I even got extra hay and brought it out to the two horses in the corral. When I had finally finished my chores, Grandpa was ready to go over to the chicken coop.

When we got back, my brothers had done the hay pitching from the loft again, without being told to or making a mess of things. Grandpa was impressed. “What are you two up to, that you’re in such a hurry?”

Lenny said, “We seen Mike running around fast, so we thought there must be a reason.”

Grandpa laughed. “Well, there might be,” he said. He looked at his watch. “Dang, it’s only eleven o’clock. You boys can sure move quick. Well, I reckon we’ll have an early lunch again.”

As we headed out to go back to the house, I noticed that there were no clouds in the sky, the sun was shining, and it had warmed up to somewhere in the lower forties. At least it was warmer than it had been first thing that morning.

© Copyright 2006 TeflonMike (UN: teflonmike at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
TeflonMike has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/413450-Worst-for-Wear