*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/286184-History
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #836733
Given a chance to ask (insert deity of choice) one question it would be...
#286184 added April 15, 2004 at 10:12am
Restrictions: None
History
Are all corporations run in a slip shod manner? I'm just wondering because I work for one of the big media giant slobbering monsters and I can't believe sometimes that the whole mess even functions, even at the tiny level at which I operated. (Where I am is just a root hair on the enormous corporate tuber.) Every issue is reacted to in a knee-jerk, slap-band-aid-on-a sucking-chest-wound-and-call-it-good manner. Why don't they fix the goddamn problem at the source instead of spending twice as much money screwing around?

I think the problem is that they don't listen to the employees that are actually in the fray day in, day out. Instead they hire a bunch of Yes Wo/Men to kiss their seven or eight figure making corporate jumbo asses. All that "We Care! We Luuuuuuv Our Employees! What You Think Matters! Work Hard for Us, Have No Life, Let a Nanny Raise Your Children, and You Will Reap the Rewards! We Will Take Care of You!" is a load of shit. It's propaganda. No corporation of this size feels any loyalty toward it's employees. They aren't going to take care of you when things get rough, or your job becomes obsolete even if you've proven you're the greatest employee ever. If the boss finds an antique mahogany desk that he/she really has his eye on and it requires eliminating three employees to justify the expenditure, they're going to do it.

I don't understand, and I'm not sure anyone of my generation understands, the loyalty some of the older people in the work force feel toward the companies they've been employed by for the last 25-30 years. Trust me, if it comes down to it, yo' ass is going to be out on the sidewalk. I work hard for my company, I make them money, but I will NOT sacrifice my mental health or my life in general on their corporate altar. 'Cause when you play with the big boys there is no safety net, and if you trust them you're going to get screwed.

I think some of the older generation sees this attitude as laziness, but it's not. At least not in my case. Why would you work 60 hours a week for a company that you know sees you as an ant? An expendable ant?

And besides, no one on their deathbed at the age of 108 ever said "If I only could have spent one more day at work..."

© Copyright 2004 WestWind (UN: wwestwind at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
WestWind has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/286184-History