*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/175661-Ungrateful-People
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #436869
Well, I'm back.
#175661 added June 25, 2002 at 3:31am
Restrictions: None
Ungrateful People
It really annoys me that people can be so ungrateful for what they have; I know that I can be of them, by the way. So, this is how I see the human race at the moment (2:02 AM).

I watch those TV shows and commercials where they show those poor children in the third world countries, and I cry and cry and just bawl my eyes out because I KNOW that we Americans are so wealthy compared to them. Does anyone realize how fortunate we are to have such a high standard of living? Look at how many people have cars and tv's and computers and even electricity and running water. I mean, compared to people living in places like India, Brazil, and so many other countries, we might as well all be millionaires! And yet, we're never happy with what we have. I know this; I'm constantly trying to get more. More money, more clothes, more food. I make myself sick sometimes, seeing how I take stuff for granted. But does anyone else?

Another thing. I hear people complain about the American governmental system and all, and I do it too, I admit. But look at what we have here. We have freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, etc. Yes, people get discriminated against all the time, and the government is DEFINITELY not perfect. But basically, if you're living in the United States, you can do anything or think anything you please. In some places, people can't do that. In China and many Middle Eastern counries for example, if a person is caught preaching Christianity or reading the Bible or whatever else he or she might be doing, the person can be legally executed. Seriously! Just for believing in something contrary to what the majority believes. People around here (the South) may face scorn and what not because of not being a Christian or not being straight or not being Caucasian, but at least they are not legally killed for it.

Which brings me to my next point. People around here often complain of diversity. And yes, there is VERY little diversity it seems--compared to say, major cities like New York or whatever. I hate not having cultural diversity, but when I think about it, we really do have it here. We have people who are descendants of other people of SO MANY different nationalities--particularly Europe. We have peole with Irish, German, English, French, Native American, and who knows what else blood. We may not have many different religions around here, but we DO have several different denominations of the Christian church like Baptist, Methodist, Church of Christ, etc. We have people with blond hair, black hair, red hair, and brown hair. We HAVE diversity, though we may not see it. If someone went to say, Korea (yes, I'm partial to it), all they would see is a sea of people with dark brown hair, brown eyes, and dark skin. Oh, btw, they don't look all the same though. Anywayz, talk about lack of diversity! I KNOW that I am better off here because I would not have been accepted in Korean society; it's hard enough being accepted here.

I hate how we are so ungrateful for what we have! It drives me crazy! We ought to think about what we have and who we have to share it with. We need to cherish the moments with our loved ones because we do not know if we will see them again. We need to share our wealth. And this may sound weird, but we need to be happy that we live in America. Really. It is a great country, even if we do not see it now.

© Copyright 2002 Persephone (UN: prosperina at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Persephone has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/175661-Ungrateful-People