*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1079008-Revisited-Stylish
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1079008 added October 27, 2024 at 9:02am
Restrictions: None
Revisited: "Stylish"
Almost four years ago, I wrote this entry in response to a 30DBC prompt: "Stylish

The prompt was fairly long for a prompt, so the entry was fairly long for an entry. Prompt: "What is your blogging style? In your response, consider the following questions: What is your process of writing a blog entry - do you plan it out in advance, or just start writing? Who is your ideal reader? How did your unique blogging style emerge? Has your blog changed over time?"

Upon re-reading the entry, I was a bit disappointed that few of the answers would change between then and now. There's something to be said for consistency, but there's also something to be said for growth.

Yesterday, I made my habitual Monday foray to the local taphouse.

That's one thing that's changed. I still like that taphouse, but I don't go regularly anymore.

I sit outside, on their patio, because it's a better bet than dining indoors. There are no guarantees, of course, but the science points to a lower risk of Trump Mumps transmission if you're not inside.

This has changed, of course, because it's not 2020 anymore. As far as I know, I still haven't gotten Trump Mumps... but I've had a few bouts of cold-type illness, and never did bother getting tested.

None of which really has anything to do with the prompt, except to illustrate that I don't really plan out these entries, other than maybe giving them an hour or so of thought, usually while doing something else (in this case watching YouTube videos about science, philosophy, and the philosophy of science), and then, in the entry, I could write about almost anything.

My YouTube consumption has diminished since then, also. I despise ads, and they want to charge too much for no-ads. And even without ads, I got really weary of everyone telling me to "like and subscribe." Urging me to like, subscribe, comment, etc. is an absolutely certain way to ensure I never will.

I don't want to get tied down to any one subject, because so many things are interesting to me, and in the end, I'm not writing for any particular type of reader, but just to write.

That... wasn't exactly true then, and it's not exactly true now. It occurred to me several years ago that some of the best works of fiction were written, not with a particular demographic in mind, targeted to what market research suggests would be the most lucrative audience, but for an individual or small group of people. So, I imagine writing for one particular person. It's not always the same person. Still, it's not a lie; I don't write for a "type."

Thus, I really haven't tried to push myself into a "style." Sometimes I'm funny (or try to be; jury's still out), and sometimes I'm completely serious. Sometimes both at the same time. The problem there is I'm not sure anyone can tell the difference.

This bit hasn't changed.

When I started blogging, lo these many years ago, it was mostly about personal stuff, like the crap I started with today.

Clearly, I still do that when the situation warrants, like when I was traveling and had experiences to relate.

Obviously, I do still talk about personal shit sometimes, but I've arranged my life specifically to avoid drama, so very little happens to me that anyone else would consider interesting.

The downside of this is that when it does, I barely have the practice to handle it.

But writing isn't work. I suspect that if I ever made actual money from it, I'd probably start to consider it work and break out in hives.

Still true.

As I noted recently, I've managed to add an entry every day of this calendar year thus far, and I'm hoping to make it to December 31 (not that I'll stop then, but I do expect to take a couple of breaks next year).

Those breaks didn't happen, and I'm closing in on a five-year uninterrupted streak.

So, I guess, some things did change, but mostly things outside my control.

© Copyright 2024 Spirit HalloWaltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Spirit HalloWaltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1079008-Revisited-Stylish