*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
3
4
5
11
12
15
17
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1077885-SaveThe-Cat-Beat-Sheet---Explanation
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2327724
A Place for My Creations
#1077885 added October 7, 2024 at 3:38pm
Restrictions: None
SaveThe Cat Beat Sheet - Explanation
Save The Cat Beat Sheet

Story beat - the smallest unit of a story, below the scene in structural hierarchy. The space between the action and reaction it causes within a scene.
A structural element of narrative that indicates a deliberate change in tone or progression of the story.


Scene Beat - A small unit of Action in a script that conveys a specific moment, emotion, or piece of information.
1. A beat is an exchange of behavior in action/reaction.
2. A series of beats creates a scene.


Act 1 - The Beginning

1. Opening Image: (0 -1%) A "before "snapshot" of the heroine/hero and their world. (Single scene beat)
                   First scene or chapter. Sets tone, style, and mood.Should be funny, suspenseful, or surprising. Visual representation of hero's flawed life.

2. Theme Stated: (5%) A statement made by a character (typically not the hero) that hints at what the hero's arc will be. (What the hero must learn/discover by the end - Life lesson)(Single scene beat)

3. Setup (1% - 10%) An exploration of the hero's status quo life and all its flaws. Before the epic transformation, Introduce other supporting characters, the hero's primary goal, and the hero's reluctance to change. Multiple scenes beats)

4. Catalyst: (10%) Inciting Incident/Life-changing event) pushes hero into the new world or way of thinking.Point of no return(Single scene beat)
                   Disrupts the status quo world with a life-changing event. Crash lands in the hero's life and causes destruction. Often comes in the form of bad news, a phone call, a death, or getting fired, —not always but often. Bad news pave the way to something good.

5. Debate: (10% - 20%) A reaction sequence in which the hero debates what they should do next. In question form, should I go? The purpose is to show reluctance to change.(Multiple scenes beats)

6. Breaking Into 2 (20%)A decisive action beat that separates the status quo world of Act 1 from the upside-down world of Act 2. The hero accepts the call to action, leaves their comfort zone, and ventures in a new world or a new way of thinking. (Single scene beats)

Act 2 - The Middle (Part 1)

7. B Story (22%) The introduction of a new character or characters who will ultimately serve to help the hero learn the theme. Also referred to as a "helper character" can be, a love interest, a nemesis, a mentor, a family member, or a friend. Single scene beat

8. Fun and Games: (20% - 50%) We see the hero in their new world. They're either loving it or hating it. The promise of the premise, this section represents the hook of the story. (Multi-scene beat)

9. Midpoint: (50%) Middle of book. Fun and Games culminate in either a false victory, (the hero has been succeeding thus far) or a false defeat (the hero has been floundering thus far). Something should happen to raise the stakes and push the hero towards real change.Single scene beat In a romance it could be a kiss, etc. mystery/thriller - a game-changing plot twist or a sudden ticking clock that up the ante, could be a celebration or first big public outing.Single scene beat

Act 2B The Middle (Part 2)

10. Bad Guys Close In: (50% - 75%)If the midpoint was a false victory, then this section will be a downward path where things get progressively worse for the hero. If the midpoint was a false defeat, this section will be an upward path where things seem to get progressively better. Regardless of the path, the hero's deep-rooted flaws are closing in. Multi-scene beat

11. All is Lost: (75%) The lowest point in the novel. An action beat where something happens to the hero that, combined with the internal bad guys, pushes the hero to rock bottom. Single scene beat

12. The Dark Night of the Soul (75% - 80%) A reaction beat where the hero takes time to process everything that has happened. The hero should be worse off than at the start. The darkest hour—just before dawn— the moment before the hero figures out the solution to their big problem and learns the theme or life lesson.Single scene beat

13. Breaking into 3 (80%) The "A-HA" moment.The hero realized what they must do to not only fix all the problems created in Act 2, but more important, fix themselves. The arc is nearly complete.Single scene beat

Act 3 - The End

14. Finale - The Climax (80% - 99%) The protagonist proves he has learned the story's theme and acts the plan he made in the Break into Three scene. The bad guys are destroyed, flaws are conquered, lovers reunited, hero's world save and is better than it was before. A finale has five parts:Multi-scene beat
                   Hero has wised up. Time to put the plan into action. Hero is enacting their new plan. Storming the castle + the plan.
         1. Gathering the Team: The protagonist rounds up his friends and gathers tools, weapons, and supplies needed to execute the plan.
                   Hero has to make amends, admit that they are wrong and stupid and blind.
         2. Executing the Plan The protagonist and his crew execute the plan. Sometimes secondary characters are sacrificed here to force the protagonist to continue forward on his own.
                   Hero has team, supplies, and weapons execute plan. There should be a sense of impossibility in their endeavor. Plan at first should seem crazy. The team works together and makes progress - a growing sense of accomplishment. This sub-beat is where a lot of secondary characters or team members make a B-story sacrifice. Hero is forced to go on alone.
         3. The High Tower Surprise: The protagonist faces a twist or surprise that forces him to prove his worth.
                   Plan has been executed. BUT—purpose is to show just how overconfident and naive the hero & team have become. Plan never was going to work, It was never going to be that easy. This is just another twist, another challenge. Hero going to have to figure out how to deal with it. Hero must dig deep.
         4. Dig Deep Down With no backup plan, the protagonist has to dig deep inside himself to find the most important weapon of them all—the strength and courage to overcome their fear or false belief (internal antagonist) and face the antagonist or antagonistic force. (external antagonist)
                   # 3 another catalyst - # 4 another debate. This when the hero has seemingly failed and has nothing left, no plan, no backup, no hope. but they do have something - deep down -the theme of the story- the flaw they have overcome. Time to remove their flaws at the source and become victorious.
         5. Execution of New Plan After the protagonist has overcome their fear or false belief, he takes action against the antagonist and is successful. - if fails make sure there is a point to the failure.

15. Final Image (99% - 100%) This is an "after" snapshot of who the hero is.


© Copyright 2024 Chrys O'Shea (UN: kb6vas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chrys O'Shea has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1077885-SaveThe-Cat-Beat-Sheet---Explanation