*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1077499-Maggie-Smith-and-Sarcasm
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2326194
A new blog to contain answers to prompts
#1077499 added September 30, 2024 at 2:08pm
Restrictions: None
Maggie Smith and Sarcasm
Prompt:
"Why insult someone when you can say something nice in a very sarcastic tone?"
Maggie Smith as Violet Crawley in Downton Abbey
Write about insults and/or Maggie Smith. Also, if you wish, how would you show a sarcastic tone of a character in a story?


----------

Awww, (RIP) Maggie Smith! Who wouldn't, couldn't love her! She made and created her own separate fiction no matter which story she was in! And she offered us her sarcasm and underhand insulting just in the right dose. She was absolutely brilliant.

Then, I think she knew her audiences and zeroed in on the fact that effective use of sarcasm and insults can deepen character interactions, add humor and tension to the story, plus reveal hidden truths.

I don't ever think I can ever rise to the heights of Maggie Smith's sarcasm, be it in real-life action or in writing. Yet, if I were to show a sarcastic tone of a character, I would probably try to find a balance in showing sarcasm in the exact amount, for too much of it can be exhausting on the readers as well as the plot. Then, the sarcastic remark or gesture should have some emotional weight and may use irony. That is, it can be humorous or it can sting the receiver. A good punch of sarcasm is usually very precise and quite short, a la Maggie Smith.

This is because sarcasm is usually done to shift the direction of the story or the relationships by revealing hidden truths. If writing from a first person POV or a close third person POV, another way for revealing hidden truths could be by adding inner commentaries that could let the readers peek into a character's head.

Also, showing character's body language could be a way, too. That body language can be offered in a character's shrugs, smirks, rolling eyes, and maybe the tone of voice that may be flat or dismissive.

While writing this entry, I just realized that I myself have never added sarcasm to my stories, at least knowingly. Although some of my characters may have offered short, sharp replies, I can't recall ever making them sarcastic, on purpose. But then, at my age, I forgive myself for not remembering everything. *Rolling*



© Copyright 2024 Joy-the Harpy Witch (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy-the Harpy Witch has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1077499-Maggie-Smith-and-Sarcasm