*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1075275-Growing-Zones
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#1075275 added August 14, 2024 at 4:33pm
Restrictions: None
Growing Zones
         I was surprised to discover from The Grumpy Gardener that every 12 years, our growing zones go one mile further north. So, if you live in the southern part of growing zone 7, you may actually be in zone 8 next year. We can be a little riskier in planting earlier than usual or planting less hardy species. However, you may have to be careful about diseases or pests that come with warmer temps and increased humidity. It's always a puzzle to me about planting early enough, but not too early.

         And what about late planting? Some of my seed didn't come up, so I tried to plant later, and nothing came of that either, despite the heat and sunshine. I know from prior experience that planting melons or onions too late will produce nothing worth harvesting.

         Another puzzle is when is a seed too old? I harvested seeds from dwarf marigolds and planted the following year. But two year old seeds didn't work. Same with coneflowers. I was so excited to have seeds from my flowers producing a year later. Packaged seeds don't last long. Possibly they are old when you buy them, despite the labels. This year, I refused to spend money on new plants or seeds, so I have been disappointed and now don't have my usual array of flowers. I did splurge on some dark color iris bulbs yesterday, but I won't see those until next year, if I'm still around. They will have to go in the ground with the blue irises I inherited from my grandmother.

         Experience has shown me that begonias can reproduce when you least expect them. And geraniums (I love to smell them) produce new plants around the base of the stem! I'm going to figure out how to preserve them. I have sage plants and chives that are over five years old. They're all in pots.

         One of the things I love about the plants is the smell. I love fiddling with the sage, and smelling my hands when I'm done. The geraniums give off a fragrance as soon as you touch them. I have grown basil and dill, when I was buying seed. Same thrill smelling them as I worked with them.

         I'm still learning about deadheading irises, peonies, petunias, etc. I wish I had known more when I was younger. I have to coat myself with mosquito spry to go outside for more than 5 minutes, but I love growing things. Now I have the time to do this stuff, and my health is failing, I do what I can and take breaks. With a longer growing season, and time to water, maybe I'll learn a little about gardening before it's too late for me.

© Copyright 2024 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1075275-Growing-Zones