*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1075130-Scuttlebutt
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Comedy · #2320570
My replies to interesting/weird prompts . Summer of 2024. Let's celebrate unique days.
#1075130 added August 19, 2024 at 5:57pm
Restrictions: None
Scuttlebutt
         The back door screeched and then slammed. Oh, how lovely Merrilee has returned home. No need to wonder what she's been up to, she'll share soon enough.
         "Millie! Millicent! Where are you? You won't believe what Joe just told me."
         I sighed and rustled the newspaper I'd been perusing. The stomp of her feet and the familiar clink of her numerous bangles heralded her approach. All too soon she discovered me reclining in the parlour.
         "There you are. Didn't you hear me? It must be something really interesting in that ol' rag. C'mon. Pull your nose out and listen to this."
         I could not resist. I made a spectacle of shaking then folding my reading material. Deliberately I removed my eyeglasses and nestled them atop the object of my recent attention. I blinked in preparation.
         "What is it? Have you been out at the clothesline again?"
         Merrilee shook her head and wrinkled her chiseled nose.
         I've always suspected she paid for a nose job. That prominent facial feature had once mirrored my own. We had inherited Papa's slight hook. Something important for character building, or so Maman had assured us.
         "Clothesline? I didn't realize we had one."
         "We do not. It's simply an expression. A euphemism if you will."
         My twin nodded her head until she blurted.
         "Oh, I get it. Maman used to spend a lot of time at our backyard clothesline chatting with the neighbours. Didn't Papa claim all that chinwagging dried the sheets better than any windstorm ?"
         We both giggled. Images of our mother shooting the breeze and flapping her arms as the bed linens billowed around her were still fresh in our memories.
         "So, what did the local grapevine squeeze out ? Sour grapes? Who is whining now?"
         Merrilee's explosive guffaw surprised both of us.
         Gasping she sputtered, "Sorry. A picture of Joe and those scrawny, pale legs of his sloshing around in juicy purple grapes sprang to my mind. That could be seen as really putting his foot in it. Ah, poor Joe."
         Not that she required encouragement, but I redirected the messenger.
         "Okay. What did you learn at the hedge? Is it another chapter of intrigue? Dare I suggest Joe made another deposit to the neighbourhood hedge fund?"
         My sister grinned and I caught myself mirroring that grin. We were both big enough to admit it. We were our mother's daughters. Never did we shun or sidestep gossip. After all, it made the world go round. We enjoyed the latest scuttlebutt as much as the next aficionado. Pshaw idle tongues and all that.
         I raised one eyebrow and nudged, "Well?"
         Without further delay Merrilee spilled the beans.
         "She should have seen it coming. Everyone knows she cannot read palms much less read the room. And have you ever seen her reading a book? That idea that she has a gift is a load of twaddle."
         This effusive gush gave me pause. I too was not a psychic.
         "According to Joe she was gobsmacked. It hit her out of left field. For years she's been flashing her smoke and mirrors claiming to see our futures. Joe reckons she was really a scandalmonger scattering the bits and pieces she overheard."
         I scratched my head.
         "Maybe I'm having a moment, but who is this tittle-tattler?"
         Merrilee slapped her thigh and groaned, "Of course you know her."
         With exaggerated air quotes she said, "Marjorie the Magnificent. She touts herself as being all-knowing, privy to everything. I dare say she's earned a pretty penny with her seances, crystal ball and card tricks. Some people will believe anything."
         I certainly did not like it, but there were times when my memory and I parted ways. I was well aware that Merrilee was staring and awaiting my epiphany.
         Come on memory, don't fail me now. We still could recall our childhood, couldn't we? Why the struggle now? Is this what befell Maman? We thought she was simply eccentric. Is this to be my senior cross to bear? And this Marjorie somebody is someone I know?
         I bopped myself in the forehead and appealed to my expectant twin.
         "Sister dear, help me out. I'm experiencing a momentary brain fart. Who is this Marjorie?"
         "Your hairdresser. Oops, your former hair stylist. Even I remember her and I did not live here then. Joe told me all about it. Do you have selective memory, or what?"
         I couldn't stop myself. I shuddered and momentarily ceased breathing. Ah, the floodgates burst and I was floundering against the strong current.
         "Let me get this straight. You and Joe were gossiping about me?"
         My sister had the good graces to redden and avert her eyes.
         She squeaked, "We weren't saying anything that wasn't true. Your fiancee did leave you, right? Marjorie had been filling your ear with all sorts of ominous tales about your future husband. She crowed it was written in the stars and only she could read the signs. Apparently, she shared. It was common knowledge."
         What was Merrilee telling me? Impossible. Me? People had been nattering about me? I'd been a topic for speculation? Yes, Marjorie could be a blabbermouth. It went with the job.
         With a croak I shouted, "I wanted to forget that period in my life and I guess I succeeded. I tucked it away and moved on. It was the regrettable past. I carried on."
         Merrilee reached out and hesitated. She correctly understood my body language.
         "Don't you want to hear the news? It's karma."
         I've never believed in karma. Could what goes around come around? Was it the whole circle of life thing?
         I slumped back into my armchair and shrugged.
         "You might as well give me the scoop," I grumbled.
         
         "Oh, it's good. I guarantee it. Here it goes. Marjorie's partner has walked out. He was carrying on behind her back with someone else. And it wasn't just anyone. He abandoned her for a man. She had no idea. You know what that means, right?"
         "My scumbag of a boyfriend used her, too? After all these years he showed who he really wanted? Wait. This also means she was right. He wasn't the right fit for me. I still don't know what she told him all those years ago. I just hated her. I will not apologize for that. She's not thinking of moving back here, is she?"
         Merrilee drew in a deep breath and dropped onto the loveseat.
         "I dunno. She's so yesterday's news. Joe had some other titillating tidbits. I don't know what wavelength he's on, but he dishes great stuff. Want to hear it?"
         1098 words          National Gossip Day AND Psychic Day

© Copyright 2024 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1075130-Scuttlebutt