*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1074984-28-Buttermilk-Lime-Muffins-not-so-sweet-carbs
Rated: 13+ · Book · Food/Cooking · #2313608
Old Place, New – carb-loaded! – Soul Food
#1074984 added August 11, 2024 at 6:30pm
Restrictions: None
28. Buttermilk-Lime-Muffins (not-so-sweet-carbs)





This is another leftover-recipe.*Pthb* I didn't know what to do with the remaining buttermilk from "27. "Italian" Chicken-Lemon Curry. I don't like its taste, but can acknowledge when it's needed in a recipe.*Idea*

So I browsed my cook/bake books, and found this one. *Delight*

I can imagine that it might appeal not only to New Yorkers. It's the mentioned muffins in "Summer in the City, too.*Angelic*

They're carb-y, but not too sweet because of the lime juice + zest... and well, the buttermilk. Here it's sourly taste fits perfectly!*Delight*

This is the also a great summer snack. Or breakfast. Or office snack.*Idea*

So off to the kitchen to make some fruity carbs! *Hungry*




Serves: 12 recipe, but very big; 12-16 normal-sized

Prep Time: about 1 hr

Degree of Difficulty: Easy




WE NEED

4 / 5
limes Depending on if you make the icing*Idea*
300 gr / 10.6 oz.
flour Organic & spelt as these not so polluted with pesticides*Idea*
2 tsp
baking powder
75 ml / 2.5 US fl.oz. canola oil
150 gr / 5.3 oz. sugar raw cane or muscovado; they have a tangy aftertaste I like. Yes, sugar can have distinct taste.*Hungry*
300 ml / 10.1 US fl.oz. buttermilk
2 eggs M-sized


OPTIONAL:

250 gr / 8.8 oz. mascarpone
100 gr / 3.5 oz. confectioner's sugar



WE DO

1. Wash hotly, dab dry, zest + press out
the limes. If you make icing, see below*Down*, set aside zest worth that of 1-2 limes. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F fan/convection and put paper cases into the muffin tin. NOT necessary when you use a silicone tin. NEVER grease that as it destroys the natural non stick-property, which can lead to burned/broken/cracked baking results with time*ExclaimR*


2. Mix flour + baking powder in a bowl. Whisk together oil, sugar + buttermilk. Singly mix in eggs, then add the flour mix. Stir in 90ml / 3 US fl.oz. lime juice. As the mix was still too sweet for MY taste, I added the zests of the limes... which is not included in the recipe but makes the muffins taste fresher.


3. Fill
the dough into the tin. Since it's quite liquid I'd fill it into a jug before. So it doesn't cause such a Sauerei to fill the tin.*Idea*


4. Bake the muffins in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes. Stick to that time. Since the dough's initially so liquid it needs that time to firm.*Idea* Since they can become dark on top because of the oven's heat, put some tin foil on top in the second half of the time so they don't burn.*ExclaimR*


5. Remove
the tin from the oven, let the muffins cool for 5 minutes, then transfer them onto a cake rack to cool off completely.


OPTIONAL: the "muffins" actually came as cupcakes in the recipe. I didn't do the topping because that would've been too much of the good for me. But probably you wanna top them off decently. *Idea*


6. Beat mascarpone + confectioner's sugar until creamy. Whisk in 60 ml / 2 US fl.oz. lime juice and 2 tsp lime zest. Halve the fifth lime length-wise and cut the halves into thin slices.


7. Fill the cream into an icing bag and squirt it onto the muffins. Stick in a slice of lime and sprinkle some zest on each.



Guten Hunger!*StarStruck* *Hungry*
© Copyright 2024 Olivia's writing adult stuff (UN: olivia44 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Olivia's writing adult stuff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1074984-28-Buttermilk-Lime-Muffins-not-so-sweet-carbs