*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1032937-Repeal-and-Replace
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #2257228
Tales from real life
#1032937 added May 28, 2022 at 1:03pm
Restrictions: None
Repeal and Replace!

I wrote an essay last year about the second amendment:


STATIC
Second Thoughts  (ASR)
Is it time yet?
#2249235 by Words Whirling 'Round



I think it still holds up.

There’s a lot of talk this week about the ‘sacred’ right to own guns. The U.S. constitution says specifically that it does not guarantee sacred rights. In fact, the first amendment literally repudiates any such intent. This is more commonly known as the separation of church and state.

My opinion is that the constitution does not confer the right for private citizens to own guns. My essay explains that the supreme court agreed with me twice before justice Scalia rewrote the second amendment in his own image. But, even if we currently have to accept that erroneous ruling, it’s far from sacred.

The ‘right’ to own a gun is no more permanent than the ‘right’ to own a slave. If a majority of the people want to free society from guns, they have the right to do so. That’s guaranteed by the constitution itself. Sensible Americans can come together at any time and repeal the second amendment. The right of the states to maintain local police forces could then be codified in a new amendment with modern language that provides full clarity as to its meaning.

The forces of darkness have gone all-in on Scalia's ruling. It's plain that there will be no meaningful legislation to reduce gun violence as long as the second amendment stands. We must move forward with a reform of gun laws to protect our children, our neighbors, our police officers, and our own souls. Realistically, we have only one course of action.

Repeal and Replace!

Let’s start a movement.



© Copyright 2022 Words Whirling 'Round (UN: tgifisher77 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Words Whirling 'Round has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1032937-Repeal-and-Replace