*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1031246-On-Writing
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #2257228
Tales from real life
#1031246 added April 23, 2022 at 3:44pm
Restrictions: None
On Writing
There's a never-ending stream of advice about writing. From the mechanics of grammar to the art of storytelling. As authors, we're constantly being told how to write. I suspect that much of this guidance is prepared by procrastinating writers who are avoiding the 'real work' of crafting their Great American Novel.

We're told about the story arc, the three-act format, and the journey motif. We learn how to use foreshadowing, plot twists, and cliff-hangers to hold the reader's interest. The importance of character development and effective dialogue is stressed, along with the imperative of 'show don't tell'. We come to understand the necessity of a 'happy' ending where justice prevails, especially if we want to turn it into a screenplay!

Adhering to this guidance can produce a story that satisfies the reader's expectations and keeps them coming back for more. And consistency of 'product' is important in establishing a brand. But does this merely reinforce preconceived ideas and protect the reader from actual thought? The real world is messy and out of control. The good guys don't always win. They may not even be good. Cheaters often do prosper, and heroes usually have feet of clay. Courage is sometimes a mindless knee-jerk panic reaction that works in spite of itself.

So, what about the story that veers off into left field? What about a light-hearted piece that begins as a comic spoof and then turns disturbingly dark? Is it an interesting change of pace, a sort of palate cleanser, or is it merely a frustrating betrayal of the reader, a joke at their expense?

Discuss.

© Copyright 2022 Words Whirling 'Round (UN: tgifisher77 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Words Whirling 'Round has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1031246-On-Writing