*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/997527-The-elements-Prologue
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #997527
This is the first chaprter in a novel i just began but is still in the process of editing.
For as long as there has been earth there have been forces. Forces working with and against each other in the pools of time. These forces are what we know as the Elements. We see them as nature but they are much, much more than that.
Contrary to what many have been brought up to believe the elements are more spirits, existing to help man live at peace with the planet. They are like the glue between the planet and man striving to hold together what we as humans so blindly tear apart.
But long ago the elements had become unbalanced. They no longer sought to bring balance between man and nature. They saw man as to much of a danger to himself and the planet. So they left leaving man and the planet behind to fend for itself. Man believing this to be a punishment from god began sacrificing one and another to appease him. Nearly resulting in the extinction of the race. The elements were blamed for this and were punished. Exiled form the world in which they lived in to the world of man. Like so many others before them (fairies, ghosts, elves, ect.).
The punishment was to take the human form forever. Becoming like the beings they so passionately hated. This resulted in a war. In which the elements turned against each other using humans for their own means. Plunging the earth into a dark age where man believed they would never again see the light. Being able to accomplish these tasks because of the ease at which they blended in. They were simply humans with the power of immortality.
As a result they were changed and given unique powers and appearances. So that they could never again blend in so well with the human population, and use them for their own purposes. Their powers were both a gift a curse, their appearances matching the elements of which they represented.
Narissa the element of water was given the powers of breathing under water and super speed. Ania the element of wind was given the powers to fly and telekinesis. Brendon the element of fire was given the powers of super strength and transformation. Anthea the element of earth was given the powers of healing and clairvoyance. Helene the element of light was given the power of transportation and control over the elements as they are found on earth. And Karayan the dark element. She was given the powers of time and mind control. The elements tried but could not blend back into the population as effectively as before. Being now too different from humans to keep from being noticed.
Each element went into hiding, some hidden completely from humans and others amongst the people. Living for years isolated from each other. Disguising themselves frequently so that no one would discover their true nature. After hiding for years they have now begun to show themselves once more. Only now there are secrets and the life of the planet could be at stake.
© Copyright 2005 Sarah Loren (whitetiger526 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/997527-The-elements-Prologue