*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/987624-The-Qualities-in-Women
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Adult · #987624
Two women are crying on the sidewalk. A friend is trying to console them.
Compassion was trying hard to find something helpful to say. Sadness and Poverty were crying in each other’s arms and nothing seemed to allay their emotions.

“Come on, guys! I am guessing you feel badly, but there is always a good reason why things happen when they do.”

“Yeah! I’m sure.” Sobbed Sadness. “Sure the guy isn’t worth it after all! But I loved him. I thought we had it all. And then, just like that, we’re making out, and he simply says “Shyness sucks me better, Hon’!" What a jerk!”

Sadness burst into tears again.

“O.K! I know it hurts right now. I didn’t know him much... But he wasn’t that faithful, now, was he?”

“But I didn’t know it until last night! That bitch, Shyness! She looks like she's never got laid, I trusted her, she is a slut!”

Compassion sat beside them, took out four packs of tissues from her handbag, two for each, and kept silent.

After a while, they heard the sound of stiletto heels on the cobblestones.

“Hi, darlings!”

“Who goes there?” Compassion could not see so well in the dark. As a matter of fact, everyone knew that Compassion could not see well even in bright daylight, but no one so far ever got into telling her about it.

“Liberty!” answered the high pitched voice.

“Just who we needed!” Sadness scoffed.

Liberty ignored her and pointed at the girl at her side.

“This is Freedom, my new friend” and the way she insisted on friend everybody guessed Freedom was her new girlfriend.

Sadness looked up to assess the newcomer. Liberty noticed her face covered with tears.

“Girl! You look awful!”

“Thanks for the support, Liberty, I’m not sure this remark helps really!”

Liberty frowned and sat beside Compassion.

“What's up with them?” she enquired.

“Sadness got dumped for Shyness” she whispered.

“And the other one?”

“It’s Poverty. She just found out her boyfriend is not a pimp. He stole her savings and took off.”

“Holly shit!” Liberty stared at their misery for a moment, and then she turned towards Freedom. “Let’s get out of here, sweetie, too depressing, we’ve got places to go, love to make..."

They stared at each other for a minute and Freedom leaned over to kiss her friend’s cheek.

“Bye, now!”

Silence came back, until a deep voice suddenly reached them before they could see any shadow at all.

“Liberty! She’s so self-centered! They all want her tight ass, but not one man can get it! Don’t know much about this Freedom, but she looks like she’s from the same batch. When you want to hang out with Liberty, it’s best not to be hooked to a man.”

“Who are you?” Compassion ventured.

“Compassion, sister! Get a pair of spectacles, you can’t see for peanuts!”

Compassion was hurt. She was emotional in a way when it came to personal stuff.

“I’m sorry, Integrity, I did not recognize your voice!” she said.

“Well, well! What a tragic scene! All the sobbing of the world in a tiny surface of sidewalk.”

“Shut up, Int’!” cried Poverty, “life’s a bitch tonight!”

“Don’t know what's so special about tonight” completed Integrity, “life’s a bitch any night!”

She took out a bottle of vodka from under her coat. She was naked in her fur. Integrity had nothing to hide. Compassion marveled at the size of her breasts.

“Gee! Integrity! They are getting bigger every day!”

“Well, my man is getting hungrier every day, and he can’t get enough. The bigger, the better, he says. So, I had a new implant.”

“Shit! Integrity, I never thought you would go down that path!” Sadness shouted out.

“Hey, my friends, we’re all in the same boat! It’s a man’s world, who am I to go against it? What man wants is what goes, for you and for me too.”

“Sure is! I’ll drink to that” and Sadness grabbed the bottle.
© Copyright 2005 Florence C. (isa-danton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/987624-The-Qualities-in-Women