*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/985225-Circle-of-Thorns-Chapter-2-Rev1
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #985225
Had she slipped back in time or was it a dream or something more evil...
CHAPTER 2

The breakfast brought in by Amy had been filling but now as her nerves took over she wished she hadn’t eaten. Her stomach was churning and she wished she had bypassed the food. Now, half-heartedly she let Amy lead her down a long hall to see a man, this woman was calling her father.
Before leaving the bedroom she had stared long and hard at herself in the mirror. She was still the same Faith Drummond that she had been the night before, a woman in her thirties, with brunette shoulder-length hair, blue eyes with a small mole on her temple. She knew she had to remain calm or they would think she was sick or worse yet, crazy. It crossed her mind that she must resemble the princess they kept talking about. She followed in silence behind the little woman first down one hallway then another Amy finally stopped before a large ornately carved door. Knocking first she then opened the door before them.

"My Lord, your daughter is here."

Without so much as a greeting words flew though the room. The man bristled with anger, his words coming out short and to the point. "
What in damnation did you think you were doing running off like that last night? Your marriage to Lord Rumsey is just a few days away. I want nothing to get in the way of that. Do you hear me?"

Faith stood stock-still. The man was dressed in a blue velvet jacket and black leggings that made his short stocky legs look even shorter. His face was pudgy with the appearance of a constant blush. There was no hair on his head and his eyes were like coal ignited with disdain as he appeared to stare right through her.

She wasn't sure what she should say if anything but the look on his face was one demanding an answer.

Bowing her head, "I'm sorry…father, " she mumbled, "I don't remember anything that happened last night."

I'm telling the truth, she thought, I don't remember anything from last night, nothing. I can play this little charade.
Raising her head she looked at the man before her. There was uneasiness about him as he looked at her.

"I suppose I have to believe that, but you were rude to Lord Rumsey by running out the way you did last. He is to be your husband; you must be more circumspect about your behavior. I need his land to protect the rest of our country and you are the key to that land. Now, there will be no more of this foolishness. Everything is ready for your wedding. There will be no more delays. In fact, after last night's display of foolishness, it's been moved to the day after tomorrow. Now go back to your room and stay there.” He paused glaring at her, “Show me the respect of a curtsey on your way out since you couldn't find it in you when you entered."

Faith flushed at his words, did a quick curtsey then turned to the door and ran out of the room. I've got to get out of here. As she looked up and down the hall she panicked. Which way was out? Materializing out of nowhere Amy was at her side.

"This way my lady, your father wants you to stay in your room. You will be safer there. I’ll make sure of that…"

~~~

“Lord Rumsey, get the hell out here. Now!” King George growled as his fist struck his desk. “What is going on? That woman was not my daughter. I am not such a fool. What has Kilea done now? He is supposed to be the most powerful wizard around.”

Rumsey came out from behind the bookcase, a look of consternation on his face. “He is the most powerful. Gods, George, I have no idea what is going on. Other than your daughter has disappeared and that woman has replaced her. Are you sure you should be letting her loose here in the castle? Even though they looked alike, won’t Amy know it’s not her?”

“She’ll be safe enough here. If you saw her, you could tell she was out of sorts, not sure what was going on. But, you have to give her credit for standing up to me, even called me father, the little wench.” The leer on the King’s face was not pleasant. “As for Amy, she will see nothing amiss. Her eyesight has dimmed, besides she will only see and hear Grace.”

“Yeah, but she might fool you. We’ll have to be careful with what is said around here and watch out for strangers. Just seeing this woman here tells me that Kilea is getting close to what he has been searching for. She did look a bit strange though, her speech, it wasn’t, well, it wasn’t from around here.”

“Well. Rumsey, Kilea had better be careful. As you say, she definitely is not from around here. Which reminds me, when are we to see Kilea next?”

“He said he would like us at the Castle of Deep Woods in three weeks. He wants to have the princess close at hand. Having her here while he tries to conduct his so called experiments isn’t working, and we can see that for ourselves. Just look at the woman. What is he trying to do?”

Rumsey rubbed his chin as he stood looking at the King waiting for an answer. He was a man in his forties with black wavy hair flowing down to meet a beard that hide what his mother had called a weak chin. Piercing gray eyes watched the King. Rumsey realized that he only knew half the story. He would bide his time, wait and see just what the King was really up to. The story of him needing his land was partly true. The idea of the wedding had been his. He had always desired Grace, though she had more than once made it obvious that she wanted nothing to do with him. This way he figured the King would have his property for this deal with Kilea and he would have the woman he always wanted.

~~~

Frustrated Faith let the woman lead her back to her room. I'll be able to think there, maybe make some plans. Carefully she noted the twists and turns that it took to get to her room. Entering she turned to the woman. "I would like to be alone. Please. I need some time to myself."

Amy looked surprised, "Well, all right my lady, as you please. I'll return shortly though."

Faith shut the door behind her. Leaning against it she closed her eyes letting out a deep sigh. She wasn't sure how long she stood that way before she felt as if someone or something was looking at her. Opening her eyes she found herself staring into the blue eyes of the man from the night before. Her heart quicken at the sight of him.

His hand covered her mouth before she could utter any sound. "No princess, I’ll not hurt you. Know, just keep that pretty mouth of yours shut and everything will be fine."

Taking hold of his hand she pulled it away, “Who are you?"

"How can you ask such a question? I know we just met a few days ago, but I haven't forgotten you," he threw back at her. He let his eyes slowly traveled down her figure then back to rest on her face. His voice was soft and caressing as he spoke.

Faith's eyes widened, her face flushed hot. Just what had the princess been up too? she wondered.

"That explains the kiss last night," she retorted trying to hide the turmoil she was feeling. Slipping away from him and the door, she walked toward the window noting that it was no longer closed.

"You came through here? In the daylight? Why? Who are you?"

"You are determined to play your game I see. Okay, let me again introduce myself. I am Charles Thorn at your service." He gave her a sweeping bow.

She didn't know whether to laugh or cry. It was all so absurd. Obviously the princess had met this man somewhere causing him to be interested in her. Enough to climb through her window to see her.

"Let me jog your memory a bit. We met in the marketplace the other day after I had a run in with a couple of ruffians. They seemed to think I was an easy victim. You came along just as I finished knocking the last guy out. You took pity on me, and we then walked through the marketplace visiting with the vendors. We sat by the fountain for a while where you fed the pigeons. After that we slipped away to a hidden garden, and I kissed you and my dear, you kissed me back, very thoroughly too, he said as he smirked at her."

Faith stood in front of the window looking down at the cobblestone street. She found herself rubbing her finger where it had been pricked the night before. For whatever reason it had started to hurt again. She didn't hear Charles come up behind her until his arms were wrapped around her.

"I had to find you again," he whispered, "to see if you were real. The way you ran off laughing … I had to see if you really thought me a fool."

His touch ignited the feelings she had shoved away from the night before. Breathlessly she stormed, "What do you think you are doing?" Quickly she turned around only to find herself pinned against the wall.

"If you were kissing someone you just met maybe you are a fool," she said. "But it wasn't me!"
Laughing, he leaned forward, "We’ll see," and he claimed her lips slowly and seductively once again.

Struggling, she was able to push him away as the heat of desire cursed through her.
"I am not the princess. Honest…I'm not,” her voice barely a whisper. “I've never seen you before until last night." She stood, shaking,
"You need to get out of here before that woman comes back. I…I need to find a way out of here before it is too late."

Her self-control broke loose like a dam as she started crying. "I don't belong here, believe me, I don't belong here."

Charles stood back, his hands now to his sides staring at the woman before him. It had been a wonderful day with no cares or worries with a princess who may have been a bit forward. Yet, he stepped over to Faith taking her by the shoulder, lifting her chin so that he could look at her, really look at her. The hair was the same color, her eyes were blue, but there was something different about her.

Faith tried to pull away but he held her firmly touching the mole on her temple. This wasn't there, he thought to himself. He then found himself looking into her eyes, Was this the same woman or had she momentarily lost her mind? He continued to hold her sensing the fear, feeling her shake as he held her. Stranger or not she had a hold on him and he felt himself swimming the blue of her eyes.

"Well…whoever you think you are you’ve bewitching me," he murmured as he once again kissed her.

She tried to pull away, but it was futile as she found herself leaning into his kiss, for a moment she didn't care who she was. Flames leaped within her as a moan escaped her.

This feels right, she thought as the kiss lingered, yet a tiny voice said, No! This is wrong.” She tried pushing him away with little success as his lips caressed hers and moved slowly across her face stopping next to her ear. So lost in the moment neither heard the handmaiden open the door.

Silently closing the door Amy hurriedly waddled her way back to the King's chambers to summoned help. She was not sure who the stranger was, or why he was in the lady’s bedchambers, but she knew he was not suppose to be there. She knocked tentatively on the door to the Kings’ chambers then entered and told him what she had witnessed. He stormed passed her knocking her aside as he motioned the guards to follow. Pushing open the door he caught the couple in embracing.

Rage torn through him. “Get him!” the King ordered.

Charles had no change to defend himself, he was grabbed by the two guards and held.

"Who do you think you are that you can come in here and manhandle my daughter?" the King exclaimed. "Take him out of here, now! Lock him in one of the cells in the dungeons below."
The King turned to Faith, “As for you,” he started to raise his hand to strike her but stopped. “You are to stay in this room.”

Dropping his hand back, he turned sharply, before placing a finger under Amy’s nose. “Make sure the windows are closed and locked from now on. Pull those damn curtains in while you're at it.” He turned and glared at Faith. “I mean it! You are to stay in your room, unless I call for you. Your meals will be brought up to you.”

Faith watched in horror as the guards dragged Charles out the door, leaving her standing before the King and Amy.

“Amy, if anything else happens you will find yourself on the streets! Understand? Now keep her in here till the wedding."

The King stormed out after the guards and Charles, slamming the door behind him.

Faith crumbled to the floor, her emotions pent. Her mind was in a turmoil of thoughts. Tears of release flowed down her checks.

~~~

Back in his study, the King paced back and forth, his hands clutched in anger behind him.

“Damn Rumsey, we are going to have to watch this woman closer. Make sure this imposter is put on the next slave ship out. He seems to be aware that Grace and this woman are not the same. His story of being Charles Thorn…that is what has me worried. I thought we rid this land of the Thorns ages ago.”

Anger could be seen emanating from his eyes. Amy coming to him about the stranger at least showed where her loyalties lay. But, it still didn’t solve the problem of knowing where his real daughter was. He looked at Rumsey for answers. Not finding any in the mans eyes he turned away. “We’ll still go through with the wedding whether we have the real princess or not. We can’t let the others know that something is amiss.”

Rumsey stared at the King, surprised that this strangers name could cause such a reaction, “I don’t remember hearing of any Thorns. Who are they and why does that name have you so upset?”

“I’ve no time to explain at the moment Rumsey. It’s just a name that causes loathing. Make sure they take him out of here first thing in the morning. I don’t want any trace that he was ever here. Is that understood? No trace and make sure the captain doesn’t list him on the ship’s log either. That way if anything happens to him there won’t be any record.”

Rumsey nodded in agreement and headed towards the castle door. He knew he needed to make this happened or the plans that were in the making with the Wizard Kilea would be for naught. Just as he was about to go out the door, he heard the King.

“And don’t forget we still have the meeting with Kilea!”

~~~

Faith stood staring at Amy. "He said he knew the princess," she stammered out. "How would he meet her and the King not know it? Did she go out alone often?"

"What do you mean her? You are the princess!" Amy responded.

Faith looked at the older woman. There was no convincing her that she wasn't the princess.

She sat down in a chair and touched her lips. She had been kissed before but never with emotions rising to the surface the way they had with Charles. In that moment there had been a bonding, a reaching out to one another. Shaking her head as her thoughts once again screamed at her that she did not belong here and no way should she be thinking of Charles. A shudder went though her body.

"Amy, where will they take him? They will let him go, won't they?"

Amy shook her head as she came up, placing her hands on Faith’s shoulders. "Don't be silly child. You know your father will never allow that. He will be locked away then sent off on some slave ship. Your father has no time for those who defy him. But you know that. Why ask such silly questions?” With that she replaced the covers on the bed.

A slave ship. What kind of man is this King? Faith wondered to herself? She had met with him twice now, both times unfavorable. He appeared to have no tolerance for those who didn't jump to obey his orders.

Why should I be concerned? she thought to herself. I need to find my way back, back to my own time. Her thoughts went back to the book she had been reading the night before in her apartment. It seemed like eons ago. What had taken place? There had been the storm. Maybe the storm had caused a time warp. She shook her head, "No, that is like some bad fantasy story," she whispered aloud.

She leaned her head back against the chair. "Two days. That's all I've got. No, one day is all that is left. He said day after tomorrow for the wedding." She let her mind drift for a moment to the story she had been reading. There had been a princess, but wait. Her mind raced, Oh, my God, the book had been written more like a diary and not by the princess, but by a Charles Thorn.

Getting up from the chair she looked to see what Amy was doing. The woman had sat herself by the door, obviously believing she was guarding it. “
Faith realized that she only had that day and the next to find a way out of this marriage. She would have to be clever.

"Amy? How long before father sends that man to the slave ship?”

"Your father's ship leaves tomorrow night, my lady. He'll be on that ship. Don't you be worrying about him coming back here. He's as good as gone. The captain will see to that!”

Faith realized she needed a plan, a way to see the man they had just taken away. But how? She didn't know her way around. If she stepped out into the hallway she wouldn't even be able to find her way to the door let alone where the dungeons were. Maybe if Amy went with her that might work.

"Amy, I need to ask the that man a question and I know that …" she paused not liking to refer to the King as father. "the King would not like for me to be roaming around alone. Will you come with me?"

"Well, you be right on that account my lady. I don't think you should be seeing that man either. We are to stay right here!"

Rising up Faith walked over to the handmaiden. With a warm and caring voice, she said, "Amy… I need to see him. I…I think he may have taken my necklace with him. The one I left on the dresser."

"I didn't see any necklace,” as she glanced over towards the dresser. “You must be mistaken."
"No, I'm not mistaken and I'm not asking. You will come with me, now." Faith had enough, she decided to play the princess and demand a few things. The look of surprise on Amy's face was worth seeing.

"Well! You must be feeling better to be ordering me around like that. Yes, you must be feeling better." Amy stood up, "Come along then.”

Faith followed Amy out the door she grabbing a shawl and wrapped it around her. She figured it wouldn't hurt since she didn't know where she was going. Automatically she let the older woman lead the way. She had been right. There was no way she could have found her way to the dungeons. There were just too many twists, and turns. Amy led her first down one corridor then another. Finally, they came to a stairway with two guards standing next to it.

"Good evening Miss Amy, what are you doing down here,” one of the guards asked as he took in Faith being there.

"Well, Tuck, my lady here wants to see the young man they brought down earlier. I expect the King will be shipping him out tomorrow. She thinks he has something of hers. Can you let us see him?"

"Miss Amy, I shouldn't, but for you…” as he glanced around, “well…you’ll have to be quick. Follow me." He turned leading the way down the stones steps. It was dark, the narrow hallway smelled of mildew and odors that assailed the senses.

Faith followed down the winding stairway. Her mind racing, trying to come up with some answers. She had no idea what she was going to do once she got to the dungeon. One thing for sure though, she wanted to find out who this Charles Thorn was. Reaching the bottom step the guard led them down a long dark hallway that smelled of death.

With a hint of laughter the guard turned to Amy, “He’s been trying to tell us that’s he’s some prince from over the deep waters. Been telling us all kinds of tales of how his father will be looking for him if he doesn’t return soon. We found no papers on him and he keeps saying they were stolen from him by you, my lady,” the guard indicated Faith by a quick nod.

“By me!” Faith sputtered thinking that maybe that was why he had snuck into the princess’s bedroom. Not only to see the princess, but to find his papers. There was more going on here then she anticipated.

Coming to the cell door, the guard took out a ring of old keys. Fumbling with the lock for a bit, he was finally able to open the cell door. The young man was sitting in a corner on some old straw. His head bowed down, his long hair falling about his shoulders.

The guard rattled the cell keys, “You’ve got visitors, mister.”

Charles looked up and saw Faith standing there. “Well, you should be happy. I’m not out there to bother you,” he remarked sarcastically. He rose up off the mat walking over as far as the chained shackles on his ankles would let him. He looked at her with scorn on his face.

“You were the one that stopped me in the marketplace the other day. It was you who offered to pay for the fruit, it was you who slipped you hands into my bag and took my papers. So what is it you are after now?” he snarled at her.

Faith backed away. Maybe this had been a mistake. What had the real princess been up too? She must be no different than her father.

“Amy, would you and Tuck leave me for a few minutes? He’s not going anywhere.”

“My lady, you heard what your father said. If I let you get into trouble one more time he’ll put me in the streets!”

“He won’t know, Amy. Nothing is going to happen. There’s no way. Now go. Go down by the first cell and leave me be. Now!”

“Well!” Amy huffed up like an old hen. “ Now, you don’t have to get short with me. Come on Tuck. Let’s do as she asks. But my lady, if anything ha…!”

“Be gone with you I said!”

Faith had never spoken to anyone like that before but she needed to speak to this man alone.

She watched as Tuck and Amy walked away. Turning to look at Charles, Faith spoke in as firm and convincing voice as she could muster.

“Once and for all I am not the princess. I had never seen you before until last night when you leaped off that carriage. I do not have your papers. I didn’t know you had any papers. Understand me? I am not who you think I am.”

“If you are not the princess then who in the heck do you think you are?” The sarcasm was thick as it rolled off his tongue. “Gods, I must have been as stupid as they come to take up with a loony woman. You’re crazy aren’t you?”

Taking a ragged breath, Faith looked at Charles. “If I told you everything that has happened to me since last night you would no doubt believe that.” Taking another deep breath, “I came down here to see if there was any way I could get you out of here, then maybe, just maybe you could take me away from here.”

“You want me to take you away from here. I’m the one behind bars. You expect me to believe what you have just said. Look lady, I’m the one in trouble here. Not you. You’re out there scot-free,” as he pointed towards the open cell door.

“No, not scot-free! The princess is to be married the day after tomorrow. Didn’t she tell you that? It’s all arranged. It’s to someone named Lord Rumsey. The King wants his property!” Growing angry Faith was getting frustrated. “I need to get out of here and so do you. They’re going to put you on a slave ship tomorrow night.”

“Tomorrow night?” Charles looked puzzled. “You’re sure of that?” He looked at her with surprise. “Why are you telling me this? He’s your father!”

“Damn it, no he’s not. Weren’t you listening to me? I am not his daughter!” She stormed. “I just thought…just maybe…you might want to help me. I guess I was wrong. I see that now. You really were here just looking for your papers. I’m sorry … I can’t help you, I guess you can’t help me.”

She reached out, touching his hand feeling a warm sensation flow through her. A moment she had thought … well she wasn’t sure what she had thought but it was best for her to go.

She looked at this man who had rescued her from a fast moving carriage then appeared in the princess’s room, and now was behind bars. It was like some of the stories she had read; only in this case she wasn’t going to be the heroine and he the hero. She hadn’t been able to convince him that she was not who they all thought she was. She turned to go.

“Wait!” he shouted. “Come back here. If you can get the guard and that lady who is always with you down here we can try to get the key from him.”

“You’ll help me then? ”she asked.

“Just get them down here, I won’t promise anything.” Charles retorted.

“Amy,” she called out. “Can you and Tuck come here? He needs to ask the guard something.”

Faith stood aside as the older woman with the guard at her side made their way to the cell.

“Guard, I need your help.” Charles stood back just a little from the cell door. Tuck came up to Charles, and within seconds Charles had him by the neck. Faith reached out grabbing the keys from the guard’s belt and handed them to Charles. Amy let out a scream moving as fast as she could toward the stairs. Faith ran after her. “Let me go! The King has got to be told what you’ve done. You are a fool my’ lady.” Amy was old, but she was strong and was putting up a good fight to get away.

Charles was at her side in seconds leading Amy back to the cell where he had locked the guard.

Faith watched has he gently put Amy in the cell with the guard. It appeared that Charles had knocked him out, but it was the gentleness that he used with Amy that caught her attention.

He hurried back to her, “Let’s go!”

Within seconds, they were back to where the other guard stood waiting for Tuck. Faith stepped out first and gave him a shaky smile, while Charles slipped around hitting him from behind. The guard dropped without even knowing who had hit him.

“Now, back to the room where I found you this morning. I need to see if my papers are there. Then we can go, we’ll use the window in your room. You can do that can’t you? It will be a few minutes before the guard awakens. Now move. Thank the gods I have been in this place before, it’s like a maze getting from one place to another.”
© Copyright 2005 Willow Silverwing (deewillow at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/985225-Circle-of-Thorns-Chapter-2-Rev1