*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/971046-God-can-you-hear-me
Rated: E · Short Story · Religious · #971046
How can a person answer that question from a voice on the cell phone?
God, can you hear me?
By Theresa Burres

Last Tuesday on the way home from work. I thought that I would put a call into the pizza place to order a ‘strom’ with extra onions. I have a hands free cell phone so I said “three.” I could hear the bleeps of the phone dialing the pizza place.

Instead of hearing, “May I help you?” I hear a whispery voice talking on the phone. I turned up the volume. I could just make out the softly spoken words. I pulled over to the curb and sat listening shamelessly to those whispered words. This is what I heard.....

“I promise that I will be a better girl. Please will you help my little brother.
Are you there God? God, can you hear me?”

I realized that that little voice was whispering a prayer to God but an answer was expected. I didn’t have a lot of experience with children. I didn’t know what to do. Then I heard....

“God, can you hear me?” The little voice asked choked with tears.

What was I to do? Well what would you do? I said, ”Hi, I can hear you.”

“God?” she asked in awe.

“ No. Not God, but someone who will listen if you want to talk. Do you need to talk?”

“ I need to talk to God about my little brother. He’s really really sick.
I wanted to ask God to make him better. He can do anything, My Mommy said so. “ Her little voice just kept getting softer and softer.

“ What’s your name.”

“ Hanna Banana and I’m four.”

“Well I know that if you talk to God he can hear you even if you don’t use the phone. All you have to do is talk to Him. He can hear you.”

“ My Mommy said that too. I just wanted to be sure God knew about
Benny.”

“I’m sure God knows all about Benny.” I reasured her,” Why don’t you just tell Him right now what you want Him to know. I’ll listen if you want. Ok?”

“OK. Dear God, My little brother Benny is sick. Mommy cries a lot. Please make him better so that we can play again. I promise to be a good girl and you’ll give you my favorite dolly. God I love my Benny, could you help him Please? Amens”

“Hanna that was a very good prayer. I know God heard you. I hope your brother gets better soon. I also know that no matter what you are a very good little girl.”

“Thank you. Bye” Hanna whispered.

“Bye.” I answered back just as the line went dead. Putting my head back I let the tears creep down my cheeks as I whispered a prayer of my own. A prayer for Hanna’ brother, her mom and for Hanna herself.

I wish that I could find a way to get in touch with Hanna’s mom. I wish there was a way to find out if Benny ever got well. I will watch the local papers for a little boy named Benny. I pray that I never see Hanna’s brother’s name in the obituaries. All I do know is that one day on the way home an angel reached out and I was the one she touched.
© Copyright 2005 Nanapockets (tab2020 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/971046-God-can-you-hear-me