*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/970725-The-Misjudged-Man
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #970725
Appearance versus reality; hold judgement: Finding 100$
The Misjudged Man



Smells of a beautiful, crisp morning filled the air. Tauntingly, Brunswick Bakery on the corner of Smith and Pen Brook Avenue opened its doors, luring the hungry morning-appetites. Systematically, the cars stopped and went only obedient to the phasing lights. People swelled into the streets as if escaping potential death, when in actuality they were on the way to earn their living. New York City had awakened.
Leaving abstract shadows along the coarse earth, the sunlight trickled through the treetops making them glow a vibrant green. Crimson and blazing, the sky spoke of daybreak. Central Park was peaceful compared to the city streets surrounding it. Birds could be heard singing with the wind as it traveled through the landscaped square. Scattered throughout the park, people were conversing, picnicking, and playing catch with their animals. Latent, an elderly man with a peculiar look of happiness sat on a maturing oak bench. Found often in the same spot, on the same bench, at the same time of day, he could no longer be distinguished from the trees and shrubs that covered the park. Drooping with age, his eyes were an intensely deep brown and spoke the wisdom of time. Noticed rarely, he only talked when talked to; he was a soul forgotten.
Young and very athletic, she maintained a continuous schedule of jogging through Central Park each day. She was a lawyer for a firm downtown and despite the long court dates, kept time to enjoy nature. Appreciating the beautiful and blooming gardens and the fresh scent of the morning, her enthusiasm was boostd for ending her much needed sleep. Never stopping in the midst of a jog was usually critical to her concentrated cardio workout, but she found it annoying running with an unlaced shoe. Benches filled the park, but she sat next to an old man with wild white hair and an estranged look on his face. Feeling awkward she said hello but the man stared at her with an intimidating grin. For what seemed like an uncomfortable eternity, he continued to stare until finally in a very soft voice said, “… I have something for you.” Bewildered and a little frightened she stared back at him with her mouth ajar. Trying not to seem rude she replied, “Oh what could that be?”
“Well, you see, I’ve been waiting an awful longtime to give it to you.” Growing up in a highly populous city taught her that the feeling in her gut should be trusted. Ending the conversation with a mere forced so long, she sprung up and continued to jog.
Days passed and the explicit schedule continued as normal. She continued to jog every morning, and she also continually saw the outlandish man and his bench. Not being able to help the shudder that crawled down her spine when his dark eyes followed her, she grew tired and her fear turned to sympathy.
Giving the same menacing grin, he sat at his bench when she approached him. Like a fire of bursting flames, the mid day sun roasted.
“… Hello again,” she said with the innocence of a curious child.
“I knew it was you,” he responded after he shot a peculiarly long stare. Whispering he said, “I found it a month ago, see I’ve been sitting here in this very spot waiting from dawn ‘til dusk.” Reaching deep into the pocket of his pants, he grabbed out a large roll of money. Without any response from her to this lost treasure, he buried the wad deep into the young girls hands. “Now that I’ve done my duty, I’ll be on my way, farewell,” and with that he rose from the bench and walked away.
© Copyright 2005 Brianna Jean (brianna14 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/970725-The-Misjudged-Man