*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/964761-fates-little-joke-cont
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by warren
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #964761
another part to the second novel im writing i have more done but can only fit so much.
Five years past but the memory of the flames did not fade from his mind. Now he sat in the back of a crowded inn. The city of Storm Guard had becomes his home over the last year and he frequented the tavern around dinnertime and late at night when a nightmare kept him from sleep. It was always the same one the last fight between him and the dragon queen. That was also where he lost his love. Now was not the time for such thoughts. Seth glanced at the barmaid as she set his drink and food down in front of him. He nodded and handed her a couple of coins. She left and he began to poke at his food. His attention changed to the door where three armored men walked on making a significant amount of noise. The first one in the door sat in at a table and rather loudly ordered ale. Seth shook his head and turned back to food. The one of the other ones looked at him and got up. He stumbled over to him and leaned over him. Seth didn’t look up.
“You got a problem friend.” The drunk spat.
“The only problem I have is the fact that they let orcs and humans mate.” Seth looked up at him.
“What are you trying to say?” the man looked confused.
“Let me break it down for you” Seth stood and batted his hand away. “Either your mother or your father mated with an orc”
“Are you trying to insult me” The mans friends got up and came over to his side.
“You simple minded fool, I am not trying to insult you, I am insulting you” Seth moved passed him toward the door.
The first one patted his drunken friend on the shoulder and pointed toward the door.
“Hey Arthur you gonna take that from him” he joked.
Arthur shoved his friend back and ran after Seth. Seth stepped out the door and sidestepped. Arthur stormed through the door and tripped over Seth’s extended foot. He fell face first into the dirt. Seth dropped next to him and adjusted his cloak to hide the sword strapped to his back. The larger one at his side hung exposed for the thugs to see.
“Damn you, Alex, Terry lets get this ass and teach him the meaning of pain.” Arthur stood and drew his short sword. His two friends joined him outside and drew similar weapons.
“You can stop now and spare yourself or you can continue and die” Seth whispered.
“HEHAHAHA!” Arthur laughed “You think you can take all three of us at once boy”
While Seth was only twenty-three, he was no boy. “I will kill all of you”
They fanned out and surrounded him forming a triangle around him. The one called Terry raised his sword. Seth slid his hand behind his back drew and severed the mans neck in one swipe. These men do not deserve the honor of an honorable fight. Seth thought leaving the bigger blade dormant at his side. He pivoted and slashed the second man across the belly and brought his sword back around to cut off his head. Arthur stared wide-eyed at his friend’s deaths before he could draw his blade completely. He turned and tried to flee.
“You should have chosen that path before” Seth flung his shorter blade. It sliced through Arthur’s back and passed out of his chest. Slowly Seth walked to the corpse and drew his sword. He wiped it clean and replaced it. Without looking back he walked off toward his home leaving the dead for someone else. The entire ordeal took less than a minute and gave Seth much to think about on the walk past the town limits.
The density and people grew less and less while the wind grew slightly and a chill seemed to hang in the air. Seth looked at nothing, replaying the fight in his head again and again. He cleared the town limits and pulled the cloak closer around his body.
“Bravo.” A new voice chimed letting the shadows melt around him. The man that stood in the light was of obvious elven decent. The sleek finely chiseled facial features and pointed ears betrayed that fact. The jet-black skin and lack of pigment in his hair showed him to be a member of the fallen. The fallen unlike dark elves were daylight elves warped by black magics. They preferred to travel with other fallen but occasionally strayed to gather power on there own. That was Seth’s first impression of the elf before him. Two green emeralds glowed in his eye sockets.
© Copyright 2005 warren (maestermagus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/964761-fates-little-joke-cont