*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/961924-Dark-Reunion
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #961924
When a shapeshifter is sent to protect a witch from a dreadful fate, will he do his job?
The moon shone down on the dark street as two friends took a stroll in companionable silence. One was a young man, a shapeshifter/werewolf named Hunter and the other was a young woman, a witch named Sierra.
“Look Hunter. You have to stop shifting like this. You’re endangering yourself and others. Especially your family! If anyone sees you out here, they’ll hunt you down!” Sierra sighed angrily at her friend.
“Oh, you mean like this?” he teased as he took the shape of a dog. Sierra jumped on him to make him stop. He dodged her and ran down an abandoned alley.
“Are you nuts?” yelled an angry Sierra as she struggled to get Hunter away from the darkened spaces of the alley. Hunter partially turned back into his human form with a frown. He glared at the woman as he tried to get away.
“Come on Era! Get off!” he barked in his fuming state, using his pet name for her. She managed to seize her dagger and held it out to him threateningly. Hunter stopped dead in his tracks and growled. They both looked up at the moon suddenly as the clouds swept away from it. The full moon was bright then as it shone down upon the young man, causing him to snarl and cry out. Sierra backed away, threw the dagger down, and bounded down the street to get away from the forming werewolf. When he had fully transformed, he barked at her and leapt into pursuit behind her. She heard his heavy paws striking the ground quickly and ran even faster. He pounced and caught her, sending the both of them toppling into a nearby fountain. Sierra and Hunter stood up; both of them were soaking wet. When water touches a werewolf, they turn back to their original form.
“What the heck were you thinking? Do you know how cold it is out here?” shivered a half-frozen Sierra as she sat on the edge of the fountain. Hunter orbed a warm coat into his hands and put it around her. When she looked up to see him, he smirked slyly at her and disappeared. Sierra shook her head playfully and stood, starting to walk down the dark streets to her house.
“What was he thinking? Hah! You should talk Sierra!” she sighed to herself as she listened to the silence, save for her heels thumping on the gravel. “Being friends with a werewolf? Hah!” Sierra folded her arms in the coat and shuddered as a cold sensation of someone watching her ran through her spine, making the hair on the back of her neck stand on edge. When she turned, no one was looking her way. There was no one out at 3 o’clock in the morning anyway. No traffic, no noise, and no dangerous men, if you didn’t include vampires and werewolves. She wasn’t used to this type of secluded feeling. She used to live in New York City, but this new town was nestled deep in the oldest part of London. As she turned back around to keep walking, she came face-to-face with a demon. She sighed with disgust as she stared at the evil creature.
‘The second creature that I have to deal with in one night. Just my luck,’ she thought. She dodged his arms as he swung and ran as fast as she could. She stumbled over a large crack in the pavement, but kept her quick pace when she heard him behind her. She became disoriented and fled into an unfamiliar alley. It was then that she realized her dumb mistake when the demon trapped her in the corner.
“Hunter!” she screamed as it grabbed her, causing her to collapse. The demon got on top of her to pin her down and held a dagger to her throat.
“Any last words, sorceress?” it growled with a sinister grin.
“Yeah, look out behind you,” Sierra replied sarcastically. While he was distracted, she catapulted herself up and round kicked the beast. He sprawled, unconscious, and she sprinted away and ran quickly to her house. She got in and locked the door behind her. Hunter appeared with a fretful look at her and a regretful gaze.
“I’m sorry. I was helping a friend out. You okay?” he asked as he looked at her weary face.
“Yeah, thanks,” she answered. “Of course, you could’ve helped me out there just now!”
“Like I said, I needed to help someone else who was in a more ominous situation than you. You can defend yourself since you’re a witch, but he can’t! He’s a human,” Hunter argued as he watched her plop down on her sofa.
“You’re exhausted Era!” he gasped as he observed her.
“No, really? I just fought a demon that drained my powers and almost killed me, but I’m perfectly fine!” she snapped back. Hunter shook his head in frustration at her and started to pace, his shoes beating on her hardwood floor.
“How can we get these demons to stop chasing us?” he pondered aloud.
“Oh, I have an answer! Maybe... they want us to stop being friends so that they can turn you evil just like them so they can take over the world,” she heaved a sigh of sarcasm and laid across the soothing pillows of her sofa in fatigue. It felt like true paradise when she closed her eyes to have a rest and soon fell into the land of dreamers.
“Oh! I have an idea!” Hunter shocked her awake with his loud voice. As she sat up and turned to face him with bloodshot eyes, he started to tell her he felt wretched for having woken her up. She groaned, threw a pillow over her head, and collapsed into slumber once more, this time for the night.
_____________________________________~_________________________________
“M’lord, we tried to destroy the witch, but she broke away from our soldier,” the captain demon reported as he knelt on one knee in respect to his evil master.
“That’s because he tried to kill her himself. He wanted the glory all to himself, so he got what he deserved,” the creature on the throne sneered maliciously. The captain smirked and nodded, sending his helpers away. He in turn strode out of the room to leave the powerful sorcerer to himself. He put his chin in his hand and glared into oblivion, deep in thought.
“So, you want to deny me? You’ll pay, Sierra Lostron. Your whole witch clan will pay for what you have done to me! When this is over, you will all serve me or die!” Kernan stood and spoke in a booming voice, trying to get his point across to the silence of the throne room. He hissed and sent a wisp of dark magic through the room and it crashed through the wall, destroying everything in its path. He sat again and fixed his eyes upon his shattered barrier, his crimson pupils dancing in wicked delight.
“Maybe that’s how I can get her to come. Coax her. Torture her,” he started to laugh, the worst sound any untainted race has ever heard. The demons and nobles around him who were evil cackled with him.
“We will conquer the clean races! Make them all evil, and kill the rebellious!” he bellowed. “Especially Sierra.”
___________________________________~___________________________________
“Era! What are we doing here?” Hunter groaned in irritation as they walked into her old high school.
“It’s my high school reunion. Be nice,” she reminded her friend.
“Come on! Can’t you see these people any other times besides this night? We have to make the elixir!” he reminded her. Sierra sighed at him as they stepped through the gymnasium doors.
“Besides, I already made one. It’s in my pocket,” she whispered with a smile. Hunter looked at everyone that ran up to her with an uninterested glance.
“Is he your boyfriend?” some asked with curiosity.
“No, we’re just friends,” she answered off-handedly. The words rang falsely in Hunter’s and Sierra’s ears. They gazed into each others’ green eyes with surprise, but they both pretended to shrug it off. What was the feeling grabbing at Hunter’s mind and heart? Was it love?
No! Not true! he lied to himself. I have to protect her! That’s as far as it will go! We’re just friends! He smiled in satisfaction at the answer he gave his mind.
Lies. You do love her. Admit that to yourself, his mind wandered again. He shook it off and got into the conversation everyone was having. Sierra smiled and leaned over.
“Finally, I told you that you would have fun here!” she giggled lightheartedly. He grinned at her, glad that she was having a good time. When the talking died down, she went to sit down and smiled in gratitude as Hunter handed her a glass of champagne. While he continued a conversation with the group, she lost herself to her thoughts.
Do I love him? I couldn’t possibly. I mean, the necromancers who sent Hunter weren’t very fond of me personally. They took a liking to my coterie and family name, but they didn’t like me. They specifically told him not to fall for me. Still, I can love him, right? She bit her lip and tried to push away such thoughts. She glanced over at him and watched his calm face and his understanding eyes. Her heart jumped when he caught her gazing at him and smirked.
I do love him! But I can’t! It’s against my race to fall in love with a shapeshifter! She put her head in her hands as she felt a headache coming on. Thinking too much always made her head hurt.
“Wrap thee in cotton, bind thee with love, protection from pain surrounds like a glove. May the brightest of blessings surround thee this night. For thou art cared for, healing thoughts sent in flight,” she muttered with her hand waving lightly over her forehead. Right after she finished the chant, the aching went away.
“You okay Era?” Hunter inquired as he stood up and extended a hand. A slow song had just come on the speakers. She nodded and took his hand gently, and he pulled her to her feet and led her to the dance floor. They started to sway to the music, his hands on her hips and her hands lightly around his neck. Who could blame the envious women that were staring? Hunter had captivating eyes that were as emerald as the gem itself. His hair was as ebony as the nighttime skies, and he had a physique that bulged even if he didn’t flex. He didn’t want anyone to like him for his looks, but the girls did anyway. Everyone thought he was handsome except for his companion, Sierra. At least, to his knowledge she thought he was only mildly cute.
Suddenly, Sierra screamed and sank to her knees. Hunter tried to help her up, but she waved him away.
“No! Hunter, I feel him. He’s here!” she warned with a cry as she fell backwards. The other people kept on dancing, oblivious to what was happening. They were under mind control. In an instant, Hunter had morphed into a wolf.
“Kernan, show yourself! Magician of Death! Stop wounding Sierra! Fight me coward!” he mocked the air. Kernan appeared and nodded, flinging him into a table. Hunter righted himself and morphed back into a human.
“My fight is not with you Hunter Thrioms! The Lostrons need to be punished! Sierra killed many of my demons and vampires! She must breathe her last breath for the many breaths she has taken!” the sorcerer roared madly, sending a stem of dark magic through the air. He watched in satisfaction as Hunter was sent flying into the wall. He struggled to stand up, his vision distorted from the impact.
“Sierra Lostron, I finally can destroy you!” Kernan snickered as he sent another thread of his magic into her this time. She shrieked in pain and hobbled up to face him. Her eyes were blazing, and she created an orb with her outstretched hands.
"By the dragons light, on this night, I call to thee to give me your might, by the power of three, I conjure thee to protect all that surrounds me, so mote it be!” she yelled as white beams flew out of her hands and encircled her. She glowed with the light and she threw a revenge spell at him, sending him backwards into a counter. He caught himself before he fell and sent a spell back. Sierra blocked it and took the vanquishing potion she had made out of her pocket. Kernan hissed as she flung it into the air. The bottle hurtled towards him, but he stopped it in mid-air. Terror seized Sierra, and she dashed out of the way as another curse soared at her.
“Kernan! Stop this revenge now!” she shouted even though he didn’t listen. He snarled at her comment.
“Never! Not until your family is dead or under my command! I wish you curses in the afterlife!” he shouted back.
“Sierra!” Hunter dove in front of her and was struck with a curse sent by the evil wizard. Sierra screamed and ran to catch him as he collapsed in major pain.
“No, no! What were you thinking?” she cried. He shrugged and they dodged a wave of curses, and Sierra repeated her protection spell for them.
“Here. I’ll do a spell to heal you,” she offered. He was better, but was still in pain.
“Wait here,” she warned. She stood to face her rival, her eyes becoming scarlet with anger.
“Never hurt my friends ever again!” she shouted at him. They got into a magic war, light and dark wisps of it flying through the air. A powerful strand struck Kernan in the chest. Sierra unfroze the potion bottle and sent it hurtling into him, causing him to shake and crumple to the ground. He screeched in severe pain and disappeared. Hunter limped up to the pile of clothes that had once held the evil wizard, who was now dust. He saw Sierra fall to her knees in dreadful exhaustion and made his way over to her quickly.
“Sierra!” he said quietly as she staggered when she stood again. He let her lean on him as he stroked her hair. “I must tell you something.” Sierra gazed into his bright green eyes.
“Yes?” she asked him softly.
“I love you,” he admitted. There. I told her my feelings. Sierra put her arms around him with a sigh of relief and kissed him gently on the lips.
“Oh, Hunter! I’ve been in love with you ever since I met you.” She smiled, glad the enemy was destroyed so they could have a peaceful future together. Or could they?


© Copyright 2005 Whitney Sanchez (grobanswings45 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/961924-Dark-Reunion