*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/948710-The-Resurrection-of-Tommy-Butler
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Supernatural · #948710
Death isn't always final.
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **


The Resurrection of Tommy Butler



The business card had read, "Pullock and Klein, for all your supernatural needs." He turned the card over in his hand, gazing once again at the address which had been scribbled on the back. 241 Baltimore Drive. The building that sat on this lot looked like every other building along the street. It was typical cookie-cutter development. Four stories, tinted windows, and a gold plated sign with Pullock and Klein in bright, bold letters. A welcome mat had been placed in front of the door. He thought about turning around, it had been a stupid idea to come there in the first place. But, he'd made a promise. A promise he was not about to break. This was for Tommy.

Walking through the roundabout doors, his dress shoes squeaked on the linoleum as he made his way to the front desks. An abstract painting of Medusa filled the wall behind the desk. He tried to ignore the similarity between the painting and the woman watching him approach. When he reached the desk, he held up the card he'd been fingering all day. "I was told to come here by a friend." He said quietly.

The woman flashed him a fake smile before handing him a clipboard with some paperwork. "Fill this out. Someone will see you when you're finished." He gave her a nod of appreciation before finding a seat in the lobby. He noticed there were a few others waiting to be helped. One woman had a dead dog on her lap. He frowned before getting started on the paperwork. It took him only a few minutes to fill out the forms. When it was finished, he returned to the desk.

"All done," he informed the woman. She looked up at him and took the clipboard.

Reading through to make sure he had filled out all the information, she slipped into friendly conversation. "How'd you hear about us?"

"A friend," he replied simply. "Gave me your card."

The woman smiled before writing something down in her scheduler. "Well, it looks like Mrs. Pullock is free at the moment. You can see her now. Just walk down the hall and it's the first door on your right." She nodded towards the hallway. He spotted the door and smiled at her kindly before walking towards it.

The door had a glass plane with the name, Molly Pullock painted in bold, black letters. Beneath it was the phrase, "Exorcisms, Spirit Removals, and Resurrections." He sighed before giving the door a gentle tap.

It opened before he had time to withdraw his hand. He startled a bit, but immediately calmed when he saw the woman standing before him. She wore a light blue business suit. Her black hair was pulled tightly back in a bun and her thin framed glasses were propped up on her head. She held a newspaper in her hand. She glared at him with piercing blue eyes. At first, he didn't think she would let him in, but she stepped aside and walked around her desk. He closed the door behind him. She gestured to a chair and he took a seat. She sat down as well and turned to the computer, clicking the mouse a few times before pulling up a screen.

"Naomi just scanned your paperwork," she said. "Looks to all be in order." With that, she smiled and the cold exterior melted away to be replaced by a friendly glow. "Molly Pullock," she said, extending her hand.

He hesitated only a second before shaking her hand and giving his name, "Max."

"Well Max," Molly put her glasses down on her desk and leaned back, slouching slightly in her chair. She scrolled through the paperwork and read the details. "It says you're interested in a resurrection. What type? We do cats, dogs, birds..."

"Actually," Max broke in, fidgeting a bit with his tie. "It will be human."

Molly quirked an eyebrow. "We don't get many of those anymore," she said. "It's a bit pricey nowadays, because of the new taxes and whatnot."

"I'm willing to pay whatever you ask," Max stated.

Molly studied him for a moment before leaning forward and opening a new program on her computer. She typed a few things in before turning back to him. "All right," she answered. "But I'll need a bit more information. Will this person be a friend or family?"

Max thought for a minute. "Family."

"How old were they when they passed on?"

"Nineteen."

Molly looked up. "Young. What was the cause of death?"

Max licked his lips, nervousness creeping up into his chest. He tightened his grip on the arms of the chair. "He was murdered." He answered finally, gauging the reaction he earned from Molly. She seemed to think about the answer for a moment.

"That will cost more," she said at last. "And, we'll have to bring in a second agent. Sometimes with murder victims, they come back violent." Molly typed in a few words. "When did he die?"

"Twelve years ago."

At the sentence, Molly froze. She frowned and looked over at him. With a sigh, she took the glasses from atop her head and placed them on the desk. She leaned forward then, a sympathetic look coming across her face. "Mr....Max, a resurrection works in specific ways. We bring souls back to empty bodies. There's no regeneration process. If we bring back a soul to a body that's been dead for twelve years, he'll still be decayed."

"The body's still fresh," Max nodded. At Molly's skeptical look, Max went on. "It's been preserved."

"Frozen?" Molly asked.

There was a moment's hesitation. "Yes." He said at last.

Molly seemed to be reluctant to go on, but she shook her head and went back to the computer. "Does this family member have a name?"

"Tommy Butler."

"Full name Thomas?"

"Yes."

Molly nodded and finished typing in a few more words before she saved then she printed the sheet and the paperwork Max had already filled out and handed it to him. "Could you sign at the bottom, please? And then if you would read over everything to make sure we got it correct." Max signed and started reading. "When would you like to perform the procedure?"

"Tonight, right away." Max answered, not looking up.

"That's rushing it," Molly replied. "We usually have a twenty four hour processing time so our clients can think about their decision..."

"I've had twelve years." Max answered coldly. "I don't need to think."

Molly nodded. "All right. I'll get another Medium to join us tonight. I think we'll be able to gather things together by one? One thirty maybe."

"That's fine," Max answered, handing the information back to her.

"You'll need to bring some personal effects, to help with the reestablishment."

"Okay."

"Where will we be doing this?" Molly asked, taking out her planner.

"Burke Memorial Cemetery," Max said, rising from his seat.

Molly gave him a skeptical look. "I thought you said the body was frozen?"

"It is," Max said, nodding at her. "I'll bring it to the cemetery." With that, he shook Molly's hand one more time before leaving.




*          *          *




Max sat on the headstone beside the gravesite of Tommy Butler. He had a box of pictures and other assorted memorabilia from Tommy's life sitting on his lap. The moon was shining brightly and gave the cemetery an eerie glow. Max looked towards the dirt road as a car pulled up and parked, a dust cloud falling in its wake. Molly got out of the driver's seat and a man Max didn't know climbed out of the passenger side. They were both wearing jeans and identical black t-shirts. Molly went to the trunk and brought out a briefcase. The man grabbed a cage with a chicken screaming inside. They closed the trunk and made their way towards Max.

"Hello Max," Molly said, nodding towards him. "This is my partner, Gary Fuller. He'll be helping tonight with the resurrection." Max nodded to the blonde man and eyed the chicken. "Sacrifice, it's a natural part of the process," Molly informed him.

"Is this the site?" Gary asked, pointing towards the grave next to where Max sat. Max turned to look at the headstone.

"Yup," Max answered, staring at the name. He'd known that name so well at one time. "Here's his stuff," Max said, handing Molly the box. Molly sifted through the stuff before nodding and starting to get ready.

"Where's the body?" Molly asked, realizing Max didn't have it.

"In the coffin," Max answered.

"You said it was frozen," Molly accused, eyeing him suspiciously.

"Trust me," Max answered, watching as Gary went back to the car for the shovels.

The digging process was done in silence. Max suspected that Molly was starting to question him. That was fine with him. They'd soon be ready for the procedure and afterwards, he would have Tommy back. They'd been so close at one time, Tommy and Max. He missed the kid with all his heart. Twelve years Tommy had been dead. Twelve long years. Max had changed. Maybe that's why he wanted Tommy back. To bring him back to the man he had once been.

Finally, they had uncovered the coffin. Molly and Gary left the lid closed. They set to work killing the chicken and smearing the blood into a rune around the coffin. Molly put a cross onto her forehead and then one onto Gary's. "It's all ready," she said at last. "Just put this in him." She held up a sacramental knife, with a chord hanging from the handle. "It will jumpstart his heart."

Gary climbed down into the hole and slowly lifted the coffin lid. Molly and Gary both gasped at the sight that met them.

The coffin was empty.

"What is this?" Molly yelled, looking over at Max who was squatted on the opposite side of the hole. He was staring down at the empty coffin. "What's going on here? Are you scamming us?" Molly spat, pointing a finger at him.

"This isn't a scam," Max answered. He jumped down into the hole beside Gary, who took a step back. "I want you to bring Tommy back."

Gary suddenly swore and backed himself up against the dirt wall. He looked up at Molly. "He's a vamp," Gary whispered, horrified.

Molly's eyes widened and she looked at the headstone, reading the name. A smile suddenly came to her lips and she looked down at Max, who was petting the edge of the coffin like it was a child. "Tommy Butler. Thomas Maxwell Butler. You're him, aren't you?"

Max nodded. "You have everything you need. The money is in your account. Please, bring Tommy back."

Gary leaned close to Molly. "That's murder, Molly. That whole thing with the Potter case. The judges ruled it illegal to bring a soul back to a body that wasn't inanimate."

Molly sat back on her haunches, contemplating the situation. "Self defense." She said at last.

"What?" Gary spat, his face contorting in confusion. "What are you talking about?"

"The rules of self defense," Molly didn't take her eyes away from Max's. Max frowned a bit, knowing she was telling him something important. "The law states that we are allowed to use excessive force, even fatal, to protect our lives and the lives around us if we are being attacked by someone with a weapon."

"But..." Gary started, but stopped himself. He closed his mouth and looked down at Max, who grinned up at them.

Molly's hand tightened around the sacramental knife. She nodded at Max, smiling back. Max suddenly pushed himself out of the coffin and up towards the dark haired woman. Gary fell back, surprised by the vampire's moves. Molly, however, was ready. She brought the knife up and the blade sunk deep into Max's chest. Max's body stopped and he stood in front of her, mouth agape and pain on his face. But slowly, his mouth curled into a smile. Molly felt a lump form in her throat. "Goodbye, Max," she whispered as his eyes faded.

A few minutes passed and Molly stood supporting the dead weight of the body. A slight twitch in Max's face and suddenly the eyes started to light again. Molly watched as the body spasmed. She held onto it. Gary flung himself to his feet, wrapping his arms around the body to hold it still against the knife. Molly had to brace her feet to keep the body from jerking away. And then, the spasms stopped. The body took in deep, drawing breaths. Molly withdrew the knife. A few drops of blood left the wound before it healed itself. She looked into his eyes. He looked from side to side, confused and frightened.

"What..." he started but his voice cracked. He swallowed and tried again. "What's going on?"

Molly just smiled. "Welcome back, Tommy."
© Copyright 2005 Wenston (wenston at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/948710-The-Resurrection-of-Tommy-Butler