*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/947826-Notes-The-Monk
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #947826
A boy discovers that he is the monk and must save the world from destruction.
“Are you sure he’s ready?”
“Yes, I am. He’s quite powerful.
“You said the same about Freib, and he turned out to be mentally incompetent.”
“Well, we have no other choice; we have to pick the Monk by the next Gorten Festival.”
“If we chose Hondis to be the Monk, who will be willing to teach him the rituals, symbols, chants, and spells.”
“I will teach him.”
“You sure you have the wisdom to.”
“Yes, I am, after all I was taught by the original Monk.”
“How will we be sure that boy won’t turn on us and work for the Demon?”
“Well, he won’t, cause I’ll be watching him.”
“Fine, Bob you make sure that he doesn’t become a servant of the Demon. Everyone agree.”
“Agreed.”
“Very well, Hondis shall be our new Monk, and Verleb shall teach him.”

Verleb lived in a huge house. The left front of the house was made of small boulders of mainly granite. Horizontal wooden boards made up the right portion of the house. The front door had a strange symbol upon it: Ж.. The symbol was painted red. Above the left portion of the house was a three story tower (which was also made of boulders) that looked over all the woods that surrounded the house. Hondis and Verleb got out of the car and walked to the door.
“Dr. Verleb, what’s that symbol upon the door mean?”
“It is called Ugul and it means many things, but I mainly put it there because it can serve as a kind of blessing. It is also the symbol of Odis. Don’t confuse Odis with Odius.” Verleb unlocked the door and walked in and was followed by Hondis. “I have one strict rule in this house, never go to the top of the tower.”
“Why, what’s up there?”
“My study. Now I shall show you where your room is located.” Verleb pulled a lit torch from one of the sconces that lined the walls. Hondis was led to a hallway and past about four rooms, went up some stairs, and went to the seconded door on the left. The door knob looked like an innocent eye staring at him as if warning not to enter. The door had scars all on it like an animal tried to break through. Hondis reached for the knob and turned. The door creaked open. There was dust flying everywhere in the room almost like no one had entered it for many years. In the far corner of the room was a bed with white bed sheets and pillows all covered in dust. Across from the bed was a closet with two doors. Next the bed was a tall window with a semi-circle for the top and a window seat at the bottom. The walls were just dry wall nothing fancy.
“Would you like to see the library?” asked Verleb.
“Yes please.” answered Hondis.
Verleb led him down four staircases meaning the house went below ground for at least two stories. Then they made a left and were in front of two heavy stone doors. Verleb muttered a single word and both doors opened inward. They entered a circler room with tall bookshelves all around the wall and they went from the floor to the ceiling. There was a tall sliding ladder on one self. Every book had a strange symbol on the spine. “Hondis, this is where you will began your studying. This is the first self. The hardest magic is at the top and the simplest is at the bottom. Go from left to right around the entire room before you go up to the next highest self. That is how the books are organized. Here is the first book that you shall read.” On the front cover it had strange symbols like the one that was on the front cover: ЖЦЛЮ. “It says basic.”

There were strange symbols on the door, just like the one outside: ЭКЋ.

“A monk is the most powerful of wizards,” said Verleb as he turned a page.

“Why are we walking through the woods Master?” asked Hondis.
“We are walking to place along the side of this path where there are hundreds of leaves on the ground to teach you how to levitate objects. Okay, here we are.” Verleb bent down pointed at one leaf in particular and said, “See this leaf, watch.”
His hand opened and he began muttering in a strange language. Then, the leaf started to shake and so did Verleb’s hand. Verleb then stopped chanting and lifted his hand up which was followed by the leaf. Hondis watched in awe at his master’s ability. Verleb turned his palm to face the sky and the leaf fell right in.
“How’d you do that?”
“Magic,” answered Verleb.

The person was hooded and robed, a cowl covered his face and he wore a strange insignia around his neck.
“None shall pass,” spoke the hooded stranger.
“And, why not, is this path not free for all who wish to walk upon it,” said Govhid.
“This road belongs to the country of Selter, and any who try to cross its boarders will be destroyed.”
“Step aside you fool, only a monk can challenge me!” commanded Govhid.
“I am a monk! See the holy symbol of Dorumur around my neck!” roared the man, “And any who disobey me shall be demolished!”
“If you’re a monk remove your cowl from your head.” Govhid glared at the stranger in fury. “Other wise stand aside!”
“As you wish!” The stranger uncovered his face and revealed a long blood red face with two black slits for eyes, two huge nostrils, and a bloody mouth with rows of sharp teeth, and flesh hanging from them. Upon the forehead was the black symbol of Odius, god of destruction. “Care to ask me again?” asked the demon.
“Who are you and what are you?” asked Govhid as beads of sweat formed on his face.
“I am a being far beyond that any you have or will ever fight and I am stronger than you. Now let’s cut the chat shall we, I’d like to begin the main course.” A dark purple salvia ran down its lips.

“Order. Order. Order to the meeting.” said the head elf as he pounded his gavel against his desk. “Today we have come together in the peaceful lands of Telif as allies. We have come to discuss how to rid the world of a great evil, once again. A dark shadow has fallen over these lands. It comes from the dark island of Tinfang where members of the Oudiz Cult dwell. I fear that the darkness there is spreading to our mainland and if Telif is conquered then Selter will surely fall as well. Sense Selter is home to the International Hoosegow Prison the Oudiz Cult will make the fugitives join them or kill them. After that the Oudiz Monks will have enough power to wipe out every country except Fortendur, however, if they go for Fortendur first they still have a chance of winning. Fortendur must not fall or the world will end as we know it.”

“We shall go to the Oudiz Cult hideout. First we need to know where they are.” Sauyer produced a map of ancient Merth and a quartz pendulum. He unrolled the map and held the pendulum above the middle of the map. “Please bring forward the Sacred Scrying Bowl of Dorumur.”

“Welcome to Desultory City,” said Fin
The greeter at the gate answered, “Yes, yes goats fly to left for of town. Yes, yes you may loft your ducky into umta abbu too haaaaa haaaa haaa.” As the greeter laughed he stared and pointed at each of them.
“Tell me why we are here again?” asked Hondis
“We are here to learn more about the Oudiz Cult.” answered Sauyer.
“How can we learn anything from such random people?”
“You’ll see.”
“You’re a goose.” said a voice behind them. The party turned and saw man that just stared at them with a blank expression on his face.
“The hamsters! The hamsters! Run for it they’re rabid. They hamsters are coming we must tell the…” The little man ran off.
“He’s a silly goose.” said the man with the blank expression.
“Goo toalk husdhu asfusd dfjysd na ha joso haaa haaa you funny ndhfd kjhfys”
“Run for it, the plague, the plague. Run for it, the plague.” Then the women fell down and died.
A boy walked up to them. One eye was completely focused on the party while the other one was crossed. His tongue was hanging out at an odd angle. He yelled, “I’m not retarded I’m just not smart.” When the boy talked salvia went everywhere.
“Okay your smart.” said Fin.
“You betcha I am. I’m so smart I’m in special ed.”
“This city is very strange. So very strange.” muttered Hondis.
“Indeed it is, however, they will help us in time. We need some food though.” said Sauyer.
“How perfect, I’m a random food salesmen please come into my restaurant. Please don’t trust anyone here in this town they’re all crazy.” The man gave a nervous laugh. “I should know that, sense I’ve lived here my inter lift. Come on in I have good food. Trust me I should know.”
“We know who you are so calm down.”
“Really?” He gave another nervous laugh. Then he caught on fire and a dog that looked exactly like a Jack Russell Terrier except it was twice the size of one appeared where the man had been.
“What’s that all about?” Hondis asked.
“Its Ersatz dog.”

There was a group of hooded figures that were around a circle and in each of there hands was a lit black candle. All of the figures chanted in unison. In the circle were five purple crystals, and from those crystals red lines connected each other and formed a star. Along the walls were pillars that didn’t reach the ceiling and upon each one was burning incense.
“A Pentacle!” said Fin. “This must be a summoning ritual.”
The chanting began getting louder and faster until all at once a deafening roar was heard. In the middle on the pentacle a red creature rose from the floor. It had a long face, bloody mouth, a black symbol upon its head, and it had a long red tail with a tuff of black hair on the end.
“That’s the same demon that I saw on the path,” whispered Govhid.
The head priest walked up to the altar and spoke, “Lord, we have followed your laws, obeyed your commands, and have awakened you from your deep slumber in the prisons on Harlum. Now, we ask you dear lord, to have mercy on us and help us get what was once ours and defeat any who try to stop us.”
“It is true, you have served me well, however, do me one favor more.”
“Anything to your desire, my lord,” said the nervous priest.
“I need eight pints of non-follower human blood, for I have not the strength yet to pass through the pentacle,” ordered the demon.
“Very well, my –”
“Oh, and one thing more, tell them who I truly am.”
“Yes, my lord.” All at once the crowd of followers turned to face Fin’s hiding spot. Then the priest looked and spoke, “Now, to the delight and pleasure of Lord Odius fluids maker and creator of all things we shall kill and may you be honored to have your bodily consumed by our lord.” Every light went out and a chant began. The purple crystals glowed faintly.
“That demon was Odius, so he’s the one who started this Oudiz Cult and been causing so much trouble. I can’t believe that these people believe such nonsense.”
All the followers then raised their right hands so that Hondis could see the Symbol of Odius cut into the palm. The chanting ceased. “Fire at will!” roared the priest.

Hondis saw a person that looked exactly like him. “Who are you? You look just like me.” asked Hondis.
“I am you.” said the person.
“What do you mean you are me?”
“I am you.”
“How can you be me I’m me and no one else is.” answered Hondis.
“Because, I am you,” answered the person.
© Copyright 2005 Hegemon (kcschuette at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/947826-Notes-The-Monk