*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/922022-Mystery-Woman--Acts-1-and-2
Rated: 13+ · Script/Play · Drama · #922022
A celebrity wishes to get in touch with her past, and stirs up a rural Indiana family.
Act 1 Scene 1
-------------
Cybrina to her agent, Nick
Setting- at Cybrina's L.A. apartment

Cybrina: Nick, I need to take a vacation. Where should I go?

Nick: Okay, where do you want to go? I will go with you.

Cybrina: That's not what I had in mind. I mean I want to get away from everything.

Nick: Why? Everything is going so good for you right now.

Cybrina: That's the problem, the success is dragging up all the old fears and problems; you know, all the ones I told you about.

Nick: No, I don't know! You keep hinting and thinking you're telling me. Please, just trust me enough to talk to me straight and let me really understand.

Cybrina: You really want to know?! My father hated me and sent me away, so I wouldn't frighten him. My Mom could only come visit me. I couldn't go home.

Nick: uh, what, I don't understand.

Cybrina: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be so abrupt. You know that I'm psychic, and I can generally tell what a person is thinking; it is what makes me such a powerful interviewer. My father was scared of me when I was just five and able to tell him what he was going to buy me for Christmas or what his friends were saying behind his back. So, he panicked and made me go live with my grandmother. I was sick. I lost my mother. I made a best friend, a little boy from school. We were only in first grade together, but he was the only real friend I've had.

Nick: Who was the little boy? Oh, that's a dumb thing to say. I'm sorry, I mean, I'm sorry all of this happened to you. I've always knew you were psychic and all, but I didn't know this could happen, because you...

Cybrina: Oh, Nick, honey, just hush. There isn't anything you can say. And the little boy's name was Matthew. Every now and then the old angers come back up and I need to go away and deal with them. I need to put the genie back in the bottle.

Nick: That's okay, I'll go and stay out of your way, but I'll keep you and your hot temper out of trouble. You know how many times that temper of yours has gotten you into trouble.

Cybrina: See, Nick, that's part of the problems I need to put back in the bottle. You say you love me, you told your wife that you would be faithful to her. What is love? How is your love different from my father's or any other man's. What does it mean to say you love someone? Do I love you? I'm not sure I know.

Nick: Ungrateful brat. I discovered you! I made you a star! I've put up with your rudeness and temper. Now! I love you and you act like I've slapped you. Forget going with you. Just let my office know where to forward your mail. Goodnight!

Cybrina: (grabbing Nick by the arm) Yes, you can use my apartment, while I'm gone; that is, after your wife and you quarrel tomorrow. At least you will be able to honestly say that nothing happened between us.

Nick: I'm not believing any of this psychic garbage. You're just trying to change the subject. Forget it.


Act I Scene 2
Setting- Busy freeway around L.A. Cybrina is on her way to the airport. She notices a car broken down on the shoulder.

Robert: Damn car! Always breaking down.

Cybrina: I see you need some help. Your car is broken down and you need to get to the airport, right?

Robert: Hey, good guess! But I doubt a woman could help me with the car. Especially, a woman who drives a Lambourghini and has her nails filed by a manicurist.

Cybrina: Bad guess. I do my own nails, and I can help you with your stupid car. It is only the clutch assembly burned out.

Robert: You haven't even looked at it yet. Hey, look, I think I can handle this problem on my own. I'll just walk over to the nearest garage and have them tow the car in. Thanks, but you just go on and don't be late for whatever it was you were doing.

Cybrina: You don't have to be scared of me. I won't hurt you.

Robert: Are you sure about that? You seem mighty, uh, different.

Cybrina: Yeah, I know, it runs in the family. Come on, or we will both be late for the airport. We can call the garage from my car on the way there, and you will know now if they are lying to you. I've dealt with garage mechanics before that think that a female can't tell the front end of the car from the back.

Robert: Like me, huh? (smiling) Okay, let's go, and I'll trust you to not be a mad murder in a Lambourghini. I appreciate this ride. You have really saved me a great deal of trouble and possibly a job.

Cybrina: What job?

Robert: I'm you basic struggling actor, and I've been turned down far more times than I've gotten a job. A lot of times it was because my car broke down on the way to the audition. I thought that was what had just happened again. I'm on my way to a little town called Popcorn, Indiana to do a documentary on some state park or general or something to that effect.

Cybrina: We are probably on the same flight then, because I'm headed to Indianapolis myself. don't worry, the flight is going to be late.

Robert: Are you psychic or something? How do you know the flight will be late?

Cybrina: I heard the weather report for Indianapolis today, and it is raining and foggy. Is that our exit?

Robert: No, it is five more exits down. What do you do where you can afford a Lambourghini? Rob banks? Tell fortunes?

Cybrina: I'm an actress and a model, but not a starving one. (glancing briefly into his eyes) You know, Robert, I don't think I feel like talking right now.

Robert: One other thing. Will you marry me, and make me the richest, I mean, happiest man in the world?

Cybrina: You're kidding, aren't you?

Robert: No, I'm actually very serious.

Cybrina: (jerking the car off the road) GET OUT!

Robert: NO! I'm not leaving. I want to marry you and you can't just get rid of me. At least not that easily. If you try, I'll...

Cybrina: You'll what? Rape me? Hit me? Just what will you do, mister big mouth? I'm quite capable of taking care of myself. (She begins to stare at Robert, and he turns pale, and runs out of the car, naseous.)


Act 1 Scene 3
Setting- on the airplane

Flight attendant: Here is your seat, sir. I do hope you feel better shortly.

Robert: Oh no, not you. (He is looking wildly around for another seat, but the plane is full.)

Cybrina: You should be talking, you're no saint yourself. And how did you get here?

Robert: I hitch-hiked, and some girl saner than you picked me up. She didn't have your charm and style, though.

Cybrina: No one has my charm. And I bet she didn't have my Lambourghini either. I've dealt with your kind before; all you want is money and a fancy car. Leave me alone and I'll leave you alone, or else you will be very sorry, and very sick. I bet I can get someone to change seats with me.

Act 2 Scene 1
Setting- Diner at the airport in Indianapolis, while waiting for her car to be unloaded, Cybrina is sitting at the counter drinking coffee waiting for Kevin Kolowski.

Kevin: Hey, Barbie! How are you doin'? (He hugs Cybrina.) Hey, I couldn't wait 'till you got settled in somewhere. I had to see you. Uh, hey, I'd like for you to meet a friend of mine.

Cybrina: I see your friend, and I see that you still say hey every sentence.

Kevin: Yo, that isn't my friend.

Cybrina: Very funny. Now where is your friend? [impatiently]

Kevin: We sort of had a fight, so he took a separate flight. The flight should be in in a couple minutes. (Cybrina smiles and starts for the exit. Kevin grabs her by the arm.) I need to explain something first. (They sit back down.)

Cybrina: What's there to explain? I don't get it.

Kevin: You will. Okay, now, this isn't easy to say, but I guess I can trust you. In fact, with your understanding of gangs, I know I can trust you. Matt, my friend, had a run in with the mob a while back. He's a small town cop, so they handled him and his girlfriend, Linda, accordingly.

Cybrina: Uh huh.

Kevin: They raped his girlfriend and broke both of his legs.

Cybrina: Poor kid.

Kevin: His doctor says he can walk now, but he's afraid of something.

Cybrina: Afraid of what, and what about Linda?

Kevin: I'll answer the easy question. Linda was killed. Now, what Matt is afraid of, I'm not sure. I know he feels guilty, but there was nothing he could do.

Cybrina: Better tell me the whole story.

Kevin: Matt and Linda were coming to Indy to see the game. When Matt parked the car in the underground lot, a gang jumped them. they beat Matt unconscious with a baseball bat and broke both of his legs. After Matt was out of the way, they beat, raped, and killed Linda. I guess they thought Matt was dead from the head injuries they gave him, but someone drove into the garage and scared the gang off. When Matt recovered, Linda was lying in a pool of blood on the garage floor. Matt tried to go to her, but passed out trying to crawl over. He woke up in the hospital and has refused to walk every since.

Cybrina: How long ago did this happen?

Kevin: It has been five months. The external bruises have healed, but the internal bruises have turned into scars. Matt needs your help and you've been around gangs, so you understand. Please, talk to him.

Cybrina: He needs more than conversation. He needs to feel in control again.

Kevin: What can we do about that?

Cybrina: Give me a minute, and I'll think of something.

Kevin: I'm sure.

Cybrina: We've got to set it up where he has to take control. (as they are walking to the exit) All I need is a strong, trustworthy, honest, understanding, intelligent, flexible, actor-type, and hostile-looking guy.

Kevin: Oh, you mean me.

Cybrina: No, but...(grabbing hold of a passing man) Sir, could you help me? (batting her eyelashes) I get feelings about these things, and I know you are just the one I need to help me.

Lee: (looking at Kevin)Is this joker bothering you lady?

Kevin: (whispering) Lee, is that you?

Lee: SHH! Yeah, don't blow my cover. Got a sting in process, and we're waiting for this guy to arrive. We got word he'd be on a flight today.

Cybrina: Good, while you're waiting, you can do me and a guy named Matt a big favor. I don't really have time to explain the whole problem, but I need for you to rape me.

Both men: What?!

Cybrina: Well, not really, just pretend, until Matt intervenes.

Lee: Lady, you're crazy. I'm not going to get hit, beat up, arrested or otherwise in a mess.

Kevin: I think she's right. Look, it's for Matt Harrison, and the only way to get him to act like a policeman and not a whipped puppy, is to force him.

Cybrina: Look, I'll make it easy. I'll tear my blouse...a little...and give you a clue when you should grab me. We can tussle on the floor near Matt. Besides, after that, who would believe you were a cop. You could walk up to and talk to your criminal.

Kevin: Come on, Lee. You have have to go look over the passengerss getting off Matt's plane. you can think about it, and Matt and I will come back here to meet Cybrina. We'll expect you and the fight about half an hour from now.

Cybrina: Uh oh! Now here comes real trouble. (She points to Robert) That jerk wants money and will do just about anything to get it. He caused me a lot of grief on the way out here.

Lee: You just flew in today?

Cybrina: Yes.

Lee: Where from?

Cybrina: L.A.

Lee: He was on the plane with you?

Cybrina: That's what I said.

Lee: Well, he just did you and Matt a favor. You got an actor. He's the one I want. I'll be back here in half an hour, be ready. Let's go, Kev. You go get Matt. I'll get a warrant.

Act 2 Scene 2
(Robert approaches Cybrina.)

Robert: Hi, I want to apologize. I acted like a total jerk. I'm really sorry, and I'd like to talk to you alone. Maybe we could go out for a drink?

Cybrina: Thanks, but no thanks. I really don't have the time. I'm just waiting until my car is unloaded, and then I'm leaving.

Robert: Then we can have dinner and a couple drinks here while we are waiting.

Cybrina: I don't think you understand. I wouldn't want to be seen with you if you were the last man on Earth.

Robert: Okay, I get the message. Good bye. (Robert goes to the bar, has a drink, and talks to the bartender.) Little hussy, she leads you on, promises the moon, gets some money, then won't put out. She picked me up in L.A. today, promised me some entertainment if I would give her $200 for her ticket.

Bartender: Yeah, I know the type.

Robert: I'd give another $200 to get even.

Bartender: What do you have in mind?

Robert: I'd like to slip her this mickey, and take her home. (He holds up a small pill.) She'd give me my entertainment.

(At the exit to flight gates, waiting for Matt)

Kevin: Hey, what's this warrant thing on that guy? Who is he?

Lee: We've been following a trail out of L.A., but we weren't sure how solid it was. We keep getting confusion and mixed signals, but everything led back to this "Robert" character. At least, that's what he calls himself now, from all we know. Finally got a lead, and figured out exactly how he ties into the whole mess. Your lady friend is fooling around with one ruthless guy. He goes by the name of Robert Nicholas, but he known as the "the pigeon" because he carries messages and money. He never carries the actual drugs, so he has been hard to track.

Kevin: Believe me, she can handle him, if anyone can. She wasn't kidding when she said she gets feelings about things. She must've read something in you for her to just pick you out like she did.

Lee: Yeah, that was weird. Is she strange, or what?

Kevin: No, once you get to know her she isn't weird at all. Shre really is psychic, and the vast majority of the time she knows exactly what to do. She's only wrong occasionally, but most of the time she leans on her abilities too much and scares me. Like what she wants to do for Matt. She wants to push him into have to act like a cop again. She wants you to help her stage a rape scene, sort of like the one that sent him into this state.

Lee: I can't act. I might hurt her, or get shot by Matt.

Kevin: Don't worry, she is an actress and will carry the load, and Matt hasn't been on duty for quite some time, so he isn't armed.

Lee: Okay, I'll help her. I'd sure like to see Matt bounce back. By the way, why aren't you on the same plane as him?

Kevin: Matt and I had a quarrel. He wants to take care of himself, and I put my foot in my mouth and told him that he needed my help. Of course, that only got his back up, and he elected to take a different flight. When will you get your warrant? Well, I don't have time to hear the answer. Here comes Matt's plane. I'll see you later.

Act 2 Scene 3
Kevin: (talking to Matt after wheeling him near the bar and grill) Stay right here for a minute. I see someone I know and I want to talk to her for a moment. I'll be right back.

Robert:(approaching Cybrina) Hey, listen, I'm really not that awful. Please accept a drink from me as an apology.

Cybrina: (rolling her eyes) Please, quit bugging me. I don't want either your drink or your apology. You tried, okay, your conscience is clear. I'll figure I'm the loser and regret it later.

Robert: No! I said that I wanted you to have a drink with me, and I don't think I'll take no for an answer. You will sit down here with me, now.

Cybrina: I don't take orders.

Robert: You will this time, or I'll show you how to sit down. (Grabs her. Crowd begins to gather. Robert and Cybrina begin to struggle, and Cybrina screams.)

(Cut to Matt, who is getting very upset. He looks around frantically for Kevin. Kevin hears the screaming and assumes that it is Lee with Cybrina, and stays out of Matt's line of sight. Crowd begins to take sides in the their quarrel, but people do not become physically involved. Matt hears Cybrina's blouse tear and hears Robert hit her. Cybrina falls to the floor, woosey. Matt throws himself out of his wheelchair and charges into Robert.)

Kevin: LEE! Who is with Cybrina? (Both run to scene. Matt is reading the Miranda Rights to Robert, and Lee simply shows Matt his warrant and asks if Cybrina and Matt want to add charges. Lee takes Robert away, and Matt helps Cybrina to her feet.)

Matt: Are you all right, lady? What was that all about, anyway? Would you like a seat. (He paused in thought) I really did it. I'm up, just like they said. Hey, Kevin, did you see that? Just like the docs said--stress reaction--I can walk!

Kevin: Yeah, that's what Barbie said we should do, sort of shock you into walking again.

Cybrina: But Kevin, this was for real. I think that man wanted to kill me.

Matt: Wait a minute! Are you telling me that this was all a fake?

Kevin: Yes, No! We were going to fake you out, but the real thing got in the way.

Cybrina: Oh, cripes! I might as well have this drink Robert bought now. I'm sure I paid enough for it.

Kevin: Don't.

Cybrina: Why not, everything else has gone wrong. It can't get much worse.

Kevin: I don't trust that Robert. He was into drugs.

Cybrina: Oh, come on now. He didn't have time to put anything into this glass. (drinks the shot, and grits her teeth) That was strong, but good.

Matt: If by everything else going wrong, you meant me, you're right. I don't like being made a fool of. Kevin, you had no right to share my personal business with anyone else. I don't need you to babysit me. And, you, Miss Barbie, I don't want to be responsible for rescuing damsels in distress. That's not my job (pause, hangs head down) anymore.

Cybrina: My name is Cybrina, not Barbie. I hate to leave such wonderful company, but I'm beginning to feel very strange. I tink I bet get my c-car.

Matt: Yeah, bye.

Kevin: I'll be in touch, Cybrina. Goodnight, and thank you for caring about this jerk who doesn't appreciate friends.

Matt: Bartender, two ginger ales, please. Okay, Kevin, I'm wrong, but my emotions are all mixed up right now. Please be patient with me...thank you. Hey, wait! Let me see that shot glass. Look, Kevin, we've got to find your Barbie. She really is feeling strange.

Kevin: Her care would be in the long term parking lot. It's a black Lam.

Act 2 Scene 4
Setting- Long term parking lot. Matt finds Cybrina passed out in the front seat. He calls for Kevin.)

Kevin: You found her, huh?

Matt: Where is she headed?

Kevin: I'm not sure. I know her from trips out to L.A. to visit my folks. I'm don't know where she's heading.

Matt: I'll take her home until I can find out. I, at least, owe her that. Don't look at me like that. I don't want her like that. do you have a better plan?

Kevin: No.

Matt: Help me get her into the passenger seat. Where are her car keys?

Kevin: The care is running. (Kevin smiles, as he walks away.) I'll see you tomorrow, because you don't need a ride anymore.

End of Act 2. Look for Acts 3 and 4 to be posted soon.
















© Copyright 2004 Beth Barnett (angellove at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/922022-Mystery-Woman--Acts-1-and-2