*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/906022-The-Secrets-of-Rigalda---part-5
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #906022
Khira runs into trouble along the road to Sidouna
The next morning Khira’s muscles had regained their strength and her joints had stopped aching so much. The gash on her arm had scabbed over and her other cuts were healing nicely – signs, she was sure, that she was ready to go back to work. But by the time she emerged from her room the men had already left for the city, putting her in a foul mood from the start, and on top of it all she was forced to dine with Rhesa, Mia, and an elderly woman named Joeli for breakfast.

They sat around the dining room table while Sadye served them dishes of fruit, boiled eggs, and nuts.

To say she felt uncomfortable in the situation was an understatement, and not only because she didn’t know how a boy was suppost to act in the company of women, but because she felt like they were judging her every move.

Perhaps the awkwardness was due to the gloomy moods of all three women. It was obvious to Khira why they were upset, and it wasn’t hard to feel sympathetic towards them considering the situation.

“I don’t see why he has to go,” Mia pouted. She hadn’t eaten any of her food, only pushed it around on her porcelain breakfast plate.

“He’s doing what Enota has asked him to do,” Rhesa said. “Surely you can understand that.”

“Oh, don’t pretend like you’re okay with it. I know you’re not.”

“I never wanted him to leave, but I knew if Keifer ever came back, he’d go. He wanted to leave last time, remember?”

Mia’s pout deepened and she shoved her plate forward. “What are we going to do without him?”

“The same thing we’ve always done,” the old woman interjected, her voice scratchy. “Serve our master, Enota.”

“She’s right, you know.” Rhesa sighed. “We’ve got to do our part, same as him.”

Mia was still unconvinced. “I don’t like it. I thought he loved us.”

“My dear child, you’re not thinking clearly,” Joeli admonished. “Enota asks for our complete and total surrender to him, and that is exactly what our dear Aidan is doing.”

Mia stood sharply, throwing back her chair as she did. “Do you even know what could happen to him out there? He could get captured or beaten, or even killed! How can you just sit there and let him walk straight into that kind of danger? Was losing your husband not enough!?”

Rhesa dropped her fork and Joeli shook her head. “Aidan’s already in danger, Mia. We all are.”

Frustrated, the young woman threw up her hands and fled from the room without further comment.

“I’m sorry you had to see that, Shay.” Rhesa glanced at her apologetically.

Khira could barely find her voice. “It’s all right.

“She’s just going to miss him, that’s all. They’ve been inseparable practically their whole lives.”

“I understand.” Khira focused on her plate. She felt that she wasn’t privy to this kind of intimate conversation. Can we talk about something else?

“So how long have you been with Keifer?” Joeli questioned.

“Just a week. I joined him in Crada.”

Rhesa tossed an almond into her mouth. “Have you run into much opposition on your way here?”

“Not really. I’m afraid my own horse has done me in far worse.”

Rhesa smiled, the gesture lighting her face into an almost inhuman beauty. Her dark curls twirled around her cheeks and over her shoulders. “I suspect you’ll have a harder time now that you’re in Norolon territory,” she said. “We’re far removed from Tresylian tradition and tend to be less accepting of religious extremists like Keifer. You’ll have to watch your back.”

That uneasy feeling was returning. “I’ll be careful.”

“Don’t scare the poor boy,” Joeli said. “He’ll find out soon enough what it’s like out there.”

Rhesa studied Khira skeptically. “I’m surprised Keifer let you come along. You seem very young to be embarking on such an adventure.”

“I’m sixteen.” Khira had been forced to lie about her age when Austin had asked. She knew she’d never pass for an eighteen-year-old since she didn’t have any facial hair. She wouldn’t have even passed for sixteen if she weren’t so tall.

“Really? You look quite a bit younger.”

Joeli grunted. “Aidan’s only twenty-one himself. And Riley’s a mere twenty-six. They’re all young.”
“Well, yes, I suppose…” her voice trailed off, and they ate for a few minutes in blessed silence.

“Do you think I could go visit my horse?” Khira asked when they had finished the meal. She had to get out of this stifling room, out from under the scrutiny where she could breathe.

“Of course. I believe Aidan left him in his stall so he wouldn’t re-injure himself.” Rhesa wiped her mouth with a cloth napkin. “Do you know the way?”

“Yes, thank you.”

Khira retreated into the solitude of the barn. Magic was clearly happy to see her, offering an eager whinny and nuzzling her for treats. Khira produced an apple slice she’d saved from breakfast, and he gobbled it down greedily.

“You and I, we’re gonna have to get our act together soon if we want to keep up. No more galloping off like a madman, okay?” Khira rubbed his nose, and he whickered.

Later that day the troupe returned from the city with news that the Erudites had opened up a huge debate with them in the market, which of course frustrated Khira because she would have loved to be there. According to Riley, the Erudites had criticized Aidan for associating himself with Siganor, Enota, and other Tresylians when he himself was half Norolon and did not wear the Ring. They claimed he had abandoned his mother’s religion and was in opposition with the law of the Scrolls. After arguing with them for a while and getting nowhere, Keifer had decided that the whole issue was not worth fighting over and had convinced Aidan that it would appease the Erudites if he simply received the Ring. He was to be pierced later that evening after the meeting.

Khira had heard Keifer speak on this very subject once in Crada, and she was not nearly as surprised as some, namely the temperamental Mia. Keifer claimed that although the Ring was not necessary for entrance into Rigalda, it did have value because it tore down boundaries between the Enotians and the Erudites. The Erudites would be more willing to listen to the Enotians if they followed the established laws and traditions of the land; it was a sacrifice Keifer – and ultimately Aidan – was willing to make for the sake of spreading the message.

A while later herds of people from the city began arriving for the Enne meeting. The house was full of guests – merchants, tradesmen, farmers, women, and even servants. Some were already Enotians, and others were merely curious or had been dragged along by friends. Khira was swept into the crowd and almost immediately found herself invisible. Most of the guests ignored her; only a few bothered to say hello. Who was she to them, anyway? Probably just a stupid little boy. In fact, they probably thought she was a servant at the house, and when an older man asked her for a drink of water, she was hardly surprised.

She found Sadye in the kitchen helping Rhesa and Mia prepare dinner and asked where she might get a cup of water, explaining how the man had requested a drink.

Sadye smiled at her, more out of amusement than sympathy. “Well, I can’t imagine why they’d think you’re a servant, dressed like that and all.”

Khira frowned as Sadye retrieved a tall wooden cup off the table and dipped it into a barrel of freshly drawn water. Khira thanked her friend and returned to the sitting room with the cup. She gave it to the old man, who didn’t even acknowledge his thanks.

After a couple hours of this Keifer had everyone gather around him and began to speak of salvation and grace and the importance of the law and tradition. He had the audience captivated as he once again morphed into a powerful, commanding speaker.

When he was done, nearly fifty people had surrendered to Enota, and following the induction ceremony there was more fellowship and mutual encouragement. Those who were wealthy brought coins to Keifer to be used as he saw fit. Others brought supplies like blankets and boots and hats that would be necessary in the colder days ahead.

By the time everyone had left, after a large dinner and an hour of singing, Khira was exhausted. Her head throbbed fiercely and her arm was sore, and she used that as an excuse to go to bed early instead of staying awake to watch the piercing ritual. Truth be known, she couldn’t have handled it. Already the image of that little girl back in Crada was flashing across her vision. Her hands were shaking, and she felt weak. There was no way she could handle that experience again.

“You need anything else?” Sadye asked after helping her under the sheets. “You don’t look so well.”

“I’m just tired, that’s all.” Khira curled up into a ball.

“It’s been a long day, for sure. I don’t know ‘bout you, but I wouldn’t want to be Aidan right now.”

“No, I don’t suppose anyone would.”

Sadye gently touched Khira’s ear where the gold Ring still hung. “Did it hurt?”

“Yes. Very much.” Please, can we not talk about this?

“You’re a brave girl, Khira. A very brave girl.” With that, Sadye slipped out of the room.

Khira lay awake for a long time. She kept expecting to hear the screams, but they never came. She dreamed that night of life back at home. Her mother’s quiet presence, her father’s commanding prayers. Being locked in her room. Sitting inside the palazzo pretending she was a faithful Erudite. Marrying Master Teagan…

She awoke in a panic, relieved to find that she was alone in her bed and had not, indeed, gotten married. After that she couldn’t sleep, and resorted to singing praise songs in her head to calm her pounding heart.

No sooner had she started to relax when a stream of panicked voices drew her attention to the door. Heartbeat once again racing, she leapt from her bed just as Carsyn – another of Keifer’s followers – burst into view, brown curls bobbing against his shoulders.

“Get ready. We’re heading out immediately,” he gushed, helping her stuff her few belongings into her knapsack.
Khira’s fear deepened. “W-what…happened?”

He threw her sack into her hands and dragged her into the sitting room as he explained. “Some ennes who live near the cornfields saw a group of Erudites heading this way, looking for Keifer.”

“At this time of night?”

“That’s why we’re concerned. Apparently they have evidence that Keifer is planning a revolt at daylight. Of course, it isn’t true, but the Raydonians are more apt to believe their religious leaders than a group of rogue travelers. Keifer thinks it’s best if we leave before they get here.”

Khira nodded wordlessly and fell in line with her friends. She spied Sadye in the corner of the room and had time only for a passing glance before she was shuffled out of the house and down to the barn, where the horses were immediately saddled and mounted. Since Magic was still recovering, Khira rode behind Carsyn on his gelding Regent, clutching his waist tightly with one hand while holding onto her own horse’s lead rope with the other.

They trotted away under cover of a heavy darkness, the moon but a sliver low in the sky. Keeping to the edges of the Vight Forest, they circled around the outer parts of Raydoni and inched their way South.

Magic, much to Khira’s delight, trotted comfortably beside Regent, only nipping at his neck occasionally. After a good fifteen minutes, Khira deemed him safe to ride and hopped onto his back. He picked up his pace slightly, as if to show her he could handle the weight.

“Carsyn, do you know where Keifer is taking us?”

He turned his head toward her, face expressionless in the dark. “I think we’re going to Sidouna.”

Sidouna, Khira had learned, was a large city where Keifer had spent a great deal of time over the years. Many Enotians abided there, and from what Khira had heard of the place, it was relatively safe.

“You’ll like Sidouna,” he continued. “We’ll be able to restock and rest before heading out again.”

Heading out again, Khira mused as they rode along. We’re always heading out again.

* * *

As the troupe left the protection of the Vight Forest and edged out onto an open plateau, Khira began to feel uneasy, as though someone was following her. Apparently she wasn’t the only one, for the troupe had grown eerily quiet, and the horses snorted restlessly. Keifer ordered them to stay close together and keep their eyes and ears open.

Then, before anyone could react, a thunder of hooves exploded from the forest behind them. Simultaneously a rally of darts cascaded upon them like a torrential downpour. Cries erupted, horses screamed, and the scene turned into utter chaos.

Khira had no time to think, only react, as Magic veered off to the left, a dart having grazed his flank. He bucked and galloped and Khira could do nothing but hold on. He carried her back towards the forest, where he dumped her at its entrance and disappeared out of view.

The impact took Khira’s breath away. Her injured arm slammed into a tree, and she rolled away, coughing and spitting. Her arm stung, her head pounded violently, and her vision was anything but clear. Before she could think to sit up or run away, a man on a horse appeared above her, his sword aimed at her throat.

He said nothing, only dismounted, his movement unsteady but deliberate. He wore boots, dirty breeches, and a thick, goatskin vest, his long hair falling over the collar of his beige cotton shirt underneath. Khira slowly sat up, inching away from him as he approached her, stopping only when the sword tickled her throat.

“Please, sir…” she begged, voice tight with fear. “I wasn’t-“

“Shut up,” he barked. “You and your people all deserve to die for your treason. We won’t let you escape.”

Behind him, Khira saw clashing swords and flying darts, heard screams from the men and cries from the horses. Her heart skipped a beat. What if they all died?

Trust me, my child.

It was him. He was watching over her, just as he’d watched over her last time. Khira breathed a little easier, and as she did, she realized he was the only one even remotely near her, and if she could just get out from under his sword, she would be free.

“How would you like to die, hmm? A beheading, a stab in the gut? Perhaps limb by limb?” He laughed cruelly.

Khira blocked out his words and watched his motion carefully. He swayed a little, his sword moving back and forth. Was he drunk?

A loud shout of victory echoed in the distance, and the man looked briefly over his shoulder. Taking advantage of the moment, Khira kicked the sword out of his hand, jumped to her feet, and dodged his outstretched hand. But then he lunged, grabbing her foot, and she toppled to the ground. He pinned himself on top of her, laughing and making strange sounds. He smelled worse than horse manure, and his face was scrunched into an awful expression. Khira tried to kick and flail her way out, but he was too large and far too heavy.

He kept laughing, the sound drowning out her thoughts, her vision swirling. Then his hands were on her throat, choking her. She felt herself losing the strength to struggle, felt the life being squeezed from her body.

Faintly, in the background, she heard the slicing of a sword through the air. At first she thought he was killing her, but then his grip weakened, and he fell to the side, motionless. Khira gasped for air, her throat burning, her lungs desperate. She slid out from under him, and as her senses came to her, she realized another man was crouched beside her.

“You okay?”

She blinked in the dark, recognized the face before her. It was Aidan. Her heart constricted as she realized he had saved her. Again. She was sure he thought her a baby, and she averted her gaze, feeling foolish and stupid.

“We’ve got to get out of here. Can you walk?”

She nodded barely, not sure she could.

“Come on.” He took her hand and pulled her to her feet, eyeing her curiously as she wobbled. Her face blazed with embarrassment and she wished he would just go away. Surely he was mocking her. And what would everyone else think? That she was too weak to stay with them? That she was a hazard, a nuisance? She shouldn’t even be out here; a girl had no place in the midst of battles.

Such thoughts raced through her mind as she followed Aidan back to the troupe. Apparently they had defeated the drunken attackers with ease. Nobody seemed to be seriously hurt. Except her. Again.

Then she saw Magic and could have cried. She stumbled over to him and hugged his neck tightly. “You came back,” she whispered. He snorted.

“Shay, what happened to you?” Riley walked up to her.

“Magic dumped me again and some guy nearly choked me to death.” She glanced at Aidan, who had returned to his bay gelding and was inspecting the horse’s legs. Once again she felt incredibly inadequate.

“Lucky he found you,” Austin added. “You okay to ride?”

“Yes.” She moved to Magic’s flank where the dart had left a cut in his flesh. Her movement was unbalanced and her head pounded fiercely. But no matter whether she was ready to ride or not, she was not going to be a sissy. She was going to tough it out and prove that she could be strong like them.

“Let me treat that wound first.” She heard Tristan’s voice beside her and tried to focus on what he was doing. He had pulled out a cream from his bag and was splattering it over the gash on Magic’s rump.

“It’ll keep it from bleeding too much until we get a chance to stop and clean it. It’s not that bad, really.”

Khira swallowed, trying to gather her composure, and put her foot in the stirrup to mount. But when she tried to lift off the ground, her leg was too weak to hold her weight and she collapsed onto the dirt. Magic looked at her stupidly.

“Let me help you up,” Tristan offered, taking her arm.

“No!” she exclaimed, suddenly frustrated with everyone, but especially herself. She was going to do this!

“Everyone needs a little help in the beginning, Shay,” Keifer reminded her quietly. When had he approached? Now it seemed that everyone was watching her, laughing at her, wondering why they’d ever allowed her to come along in the first place. She wanted to run away and hide, to cry until she had no tears left. She wanted them to leave her alone.

“You mustn’t expect too much of yourself,” Keifer continued, lifting her onto her horse despite her feeble resistance. “The longer you stay with us, the stronger you’ll get. All we ask is that you do your best, and nothing more.”

Despite his kind words, she still felt humiliated. As everyone mounted and set out towards their original destination, she chided herself over and over for appearing so weak. If they hadn’t found out she was a girl by now, they would soon.

As they walked and trotted across the grassy fields, it occurred to Khira, perhaps for the first time, that she was traveling with warriors. In Crada, Keifer and his followers had seemed so friendly and peaceful. Now she saw them in a different light. They were well equipped and prepared for attacks, more than capable of defending themselves against their predators. And once again, Khira marveled at why they had let her join the troupe. Surely they should have noticed that she was not at all like them. But somehow, despite the odds, Enota had prepared the way for her. She was determined not to disappoint him, nor those around her. Like it or not, she was going to learn to become a warrior, too.

Finally they set up camp by a water hole under the save haven of a cove of silverwood trees. The white leaves glittered under the moonlight, giving off the illusion of stars in the sky. Crickets and cicadas chirpped their melodramatic tunes while in the distance a coyote howled. The troupe set to work filling and refilling canteens and the horses drank their fill. After a few cups of water and a plateful of roasted lamb and bread, Khira felt a little better. She was still ashamed of herself, but at least her headache had lessened and her arm had stopped throbbing. Perhaps she could catch a few hours of sleep.

She went to check on Magic’s injury one last time before calling it a night. She had cleaned it upon arrival, and already the blood clot was scabbing over. Magic didn’t seem be in pain, and was content enough to rest under a tree and close his eyes. Khira stroked his neck slowly, thanking Enota that at least she was alive, and at least her horse hadn’t run away.

“One of these days you’re not going to be such a scaredy-cat,” she told him. He snorted. “And one of these days I’m going to be strong enough not to fall off.”

The early morning skies were tinged with orange when Khira finally settled down on her blanket to sleep. It didn’t take long, but before she drifted off, she wondered how much longer she’d be able to keep her guise. And if they did discover her true identity, what would they do to her then?

* * *

Streams of sunlight peeled through the open crack in the barn door, shedding light upon Magic’s dark mahogany coat as Khira diligently brushed away the dust and loose hair. The troupe had arrived in the coastal town of Sidouna the day before, and wanting some time alone with her horse, Khira had opted to rise early and retreat down to the barn.

Sidouna was beautiful, a little paradise in the unfamiliar lands of Norolon. Palm and Eucalyptus trees were abundant, as well as an interesting variety of colorful birds and wildlife. The couple with whom they resided – Al and Tenley – owned a cozy, beautifully landscaped home just a half hour’s walk from the beach. Khira had already traveled down to the Gulf of Westar last night with Austin and Tristan, and was still reeling from the experience: crystal blue water, smooth white sand that tickled her bare feet, a warm ocean breeze, and flowers so brilliant in color she was sure she was dreaming. No wonder Keifer had spent so much time here after his conversion.

With a toss of his head Magic brought Khira’s thoughts back to the present, and at the same time she felt her back tingle with the warning of someone’s presence behind her. Alarmed, she turned around. Aidan stood before her, dressed in his usual breeches and goatskin jacket, and his mere existence startled her even more than his words.

“Come with me.”

It was all he said before walking off, and Khira stared at his back for the longest moment, confused and unnerved. But in the end curiosity got the better of her and she followed him out of the barn.

He took her out past the house to a sandy field beyond, and without saying a word drew his sword out from its scabbard and presented it to her.

Khira stared at it nervously, unsure as to his intention.

“Don’t act like you’ve never seen a sword before, Shay,” he said at length, his voice low.

Khira glanced up at him then. His green eyes flickered in the daylight, and he raised an eyebrow.

“I…uh…I guess I don’t quite understand,” she mumbled.

“It’s for you. I figure the next time we’re attacked you’ll need some help.”

She swallowed. “Next time?”

“There’s always a next time.”

Hesitantly, Khira reached for the sword. Feeling the cold iron in her hands, heavy and glistening under the sun, she almost felt a sense of awe. She fingered the weapon gently, turning it in her hands as nerves began to dance in her stomach. What on earth was she doing?

“I, um…” She lifted her eyes to Aidan, words a jumble on her tongue. “I’m not sure I…I mean, I don’t know how to use it.”

His neutral expression did not change. “I figured as much. If you want I can show you a few things.”

“Really?”

He shrugged. “Sure. I know what it’s like to feel inadequate, especially around these guys.”

Khira didn’t understand how he could ever feel inadequate considering his exceptional skill with the sword, but left the topic alone. Instead she offered a whisper of a smile. “I’d be very grateful if you’d teach me.”

“Want to start now?”

Khira nodded, and for the next hour they practiced. Everything but the task at hand left Khira’s mind, and as she began to get more comfortable with the weapon, she found herself actually enjoying it. Learning new skills had always been one of her favorite hobbies, and sword fighting was proving to be no exception. By the time they were finished, she was more than convinced that this was something she could do, that in time she would be able to defend herself as easily as everyone else.

“Nice work,” Aidan complimented as they returned to the barn. “You're quick.”

“Thank you,” Khira breathed, wiping her sweaty brow. If nothing else she was going to get a good workout doing this.

“You up for tomorrow as well?”

“Of course.”

“Then I’ll meet you at the barn, same time.”

When they reached the corrals Aidan departed, and Khira was left to finish caring for her horse, shivering with excitement over what she had just done. A challenge, yes. But she was going to love every minute of it.
© Copyright 2004 Kate Shoffner (piaffe88 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/906022-The-Secrets-of-Rigalda---part-5