*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/892059-View-From-a-Coke-Can
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Meghna
Rated: · Article · Other · #892059
The Exciting World of Pinhole Photography
VIEW FROM A COKE CAN
The exciting world of pinhole photography

What's pinhole photography, you ask? Well, pinhole uses just that – a pinhole, pierced in aluminium foil – instead of a lens. And where might one buy a pinhole camera? That's what's most fascinating about pinhole photography – you make your own camera! Any light-tight box can be made into a pinhole camera. Just a few among the vast array of objects used as cameras by pinhole photographers are drinks cans, 35mm film canisters, shoe boxes, cigarette cartons, pencil boxes, and even, in one case, an orange.

In a conventional camera, the lens causes the light rays to converge at a point behind it, causing the resulting image to be absolutely sharp. Since pinhole uses no lens, the rays of light entering your light-proof box through a pinhole keep diverging, and your image will never be completely sharp. But what you lose in clarity, you gain in range of vision. The pinhole camera has a huge depth of field because of its tiny aperture, meaning that faraway objects will be equally in focus as those a few feet away from the camera.

Apart from the inability to focus, a pinhole photographer faces another disadvantage – the lack of a viewfinder. However, if you enjoy expecting the unexpected, this apparent drawback becomes part of the appeal of pinhole – you're never quite sure what your image is going to be. Pinhole photographer Justin Quinnell even goes so far as to say there's no point in knowing beforehand just what image you're going to capture: otherwise, what's the use of capturing it? Pinhole photography is not for the conventionally minded; it's about being adventurous, and straining your creativity to the max.

Pinhole photography is a fun, inexpensive and exciting art; for many, its appeal lies in its simplicity. So, the next time you're shopping for food, keep an eye on the packaging as well! That carton of skimmed milk might make a fantastic pinhole camera… and you might find yourself hooked into a very absorbing hobby!

DEVELOPING AND PRINTING

*Photographic paper can be bought at any shop that sells photographic supplies. However, you can only use B/W paper because you'll have to develop it at home. If you're unsure about the developing process and would rather get it done in a lab, use film (see below for details).

*If you want to experiment with both colour and B/W, use film instead of photographic paper. In a light-proof room, cut a small strip of film off the end of an unexposed roll, and insert it into your camera directly opposite your pinhole. To make sure the film stays in place, you could make a frame for it out of stiff paper. Remember to keep your film light-tight until it's processed.

*You can also use any conventional SLR camera to produce pinhole images by replacing the lens with a pinholed piece of aluminium foil. This saves you the trouble of making a light-proof container. But if you want to be a purist, go ahead and make your own camera!


Pinhole on the Net

ØIf you feel enthused about the idea of pinhole photography, you might be interested in World Pinhole Photography Day. The annual event, which was inaugurated in 2001, falls on the last Sunday of April every year. Want to be a part of it? Visit www.pinholeday.org for details or email support@pinholeday.org.

ØIn addition, there are several websites dedicated to this offbeat form of photography – check out http://www.pinhole.org/ and www.pinholeresource.com. Scan a selection of your pinhole efforts and send them in, and you may find your work displayed on the World Wide Web!


© Copyright 2004 Meghna (meghna at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/892059-View-From-a-Coke-Can