*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/879232-ache
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Death · #879232
dan has everything he needs, but is blinded by the depression that eats away at him
Depressed, Dan sat at the edge of the old clock tower where he had spent the majority of his high school years. It had become the popular hang out due to the female sorority across the street. They would sit for hours with their feet dangling off the edge watching the parties which always brought the hope of an occasional drunken female streaker. Even after the sorority had closed and everyone had moved out, the boys continued to gather there every friday night and just sit and talk.

But, now, his motivation had changed. The tower no longer provided the comfort he was so use to. Instead, it was replaced with pain. Nothing had ever been more clear than the painful realization of his desperate need for change. Caring had long since slipped out of the realm of reality and now all he wanted was a way out.

He sat looking down, thinking about his life and how he had gone wrong. Somehow, all of the good times were forgotten. It was only the bad left dangling on the thin strand of the comfort he took in death.

The air grew colder and the dark midnight's sky began to slowly form rain. The water began seeping through his shirt and it wasn't long before he was drenched, but he didn't care. It didn't matter anymore. It would all be the same in the end.

Hours past and he still sat there; soaked. There was no longer any feeling in his body. Even his pain had dulled and his fear had slipped away. He became numb and nothing around him was real anymore. Slowly, he stood up. His toes hung off the edge, dripping water to the street below. Taking one last look down, he put a foot over the edge and ended the last trip to the tower he would ever take, leaving all of the memories it held behind.
© Copyright 2004 heather flores (derface2k at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/879232-ache