*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327151-Blue-Blues
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2327151
Flash Fiction
Blue Blues

I needed to re-paint the living room. I needed to do it because I couldn’t ask my husband.

We bought his mother’s house when she passed. I love it; his mother loved the color blue. I like blue, she loved blue. Every room in the house was either blue or had a wallpaper design, in dominantly blue.

My husband said I could do whatever I wanted in the house, unfortunately every time I made plans to repaint anything somehow that was not feasible. He came up with some excuses that would even make him laugh (were it not coming from his own mouth) to discourage painting away the blue. I understood, and just let it slide, thinking one day he’d be ready. Two years went by…

I wanted to love my living room. But it was so blue! Also on the shaded side of the house so always dark, making the blue darker. So, I came up with a plan, I would paint it while he was on his business trip!

I was ready! As I stood there, old clothes on, furniture moved, the lovely off-white paint, stirred, and the first roll rolled down the wall. I looked up at the other blue walls with a smile.

“Goodbye!” I said out loud.

“Where are ya going?” came a voice from the kitchen as the back door shut. He was home!

“I thought you were staying till Thursday!” I called, in panic.

“Surprise!” he said, walking into the living room, then, “What are you doing?” in a quiet, confused voice.

“I wanted to surprise you!” I said quickly, and as if I was sad (as opposed to scared…)

“Good gravy!” he said, then “I love it! I always wished this room could be brighter!”

And so goes a marriage.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327151-Blue-Blues