*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326910-Drifting-memories
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #2326910
An Ai awakens aboard an abandoned vessel, and thinks back on his time spent with its crew.
Date, unknown. Thought to be sometime in the early 3000s, around the 20s.
A vessel drifted through the vast void of stars and darkness,
pulled along by gravity.
Small glimpses of sunlight from across the stars had been the only light that vessel still had, it's batteries long depleted to nothing.
In the faint light that reached through the windows, rested a medium sized beetle shaped drone.
Through the years it rested, slowly being charged little by little thanks to those glimpses of light.
It rose gradually, it's bright orange eyes coming to life. The outer dark blue exoskeleton had two decently sized solar panels.
Both of rested on wing shaped metal covers along it's back, which provided some form of protection to its inner mechanics. And main battery display.
As the drone rose, it's metal covers spread outwards, undoing a strap that was holding it in place.
With its covers open it's battery life was visable, five bright green bars.
Without the strap to keep it anchored, the machine began floating. In response to the lack of gravity, artificial or otherwise.
The drone opened its palms and soles, using bursts of pressurized air to move with more control.
While floating around the room, the drone noticed a lack of light besides some faint illumination from the window.
Because of this, it's programming determined something needed repaired.
From the machine came a kind of echo; it traveled through the whole vessel in seconds.
When the report returned, the small machine was met by very stressing news.
There was no juice in the ships main battery, and even it's back ups were embty.
Because of this, the drone set out to fulfill its sole purpose. Starting with making it's way to said battery.
Thanks to its scan data, the drone knew there was a network of vents that ran all through the vessel.
One such vent had a decently sized opening in that very room.
With a spin and a release of energy, the drone sent itself flying through the grate covering said vent.
It was pitch black besides the orange illumination of the drones eyes, and the only sound to break the silence; was the thuds of metal against metal. As each foot fall from the little machine shook those vents.
After little more then five minutes, it had reached the main battery.
And stood before it, awe struck by it's sheer size. Compared to the drone, the battery was something like a mountain.
Once it was finished taking in the sight of it, the drone set about getting to its core.
Carefully, it floated up. Once more, the little machine launched itself forward.
A warning flashed before it, "Air reserves low!"
Unfortunately for the little machine, the rest of its journey had to be done in a more analog way.
As such, the beetle began to climb.
It made it's way along the outer shell that kept the battery's inner workings protected. Finding various cracks, and openings that acted as foot holds.
For the machine, the journey felt as though it took a thousand hours. But really, it couldn't have been more then a few dozen minutes at best.
But through it's efforts, it had in fact reached the battery's main port.
Despite being built for a singular purpose, the drone was afraid to fulfill that purpose.
In its programming and sub routines, there was a faint light, some tiny sense of self.
And that small light of consciousness didn't want to be snuffed out, or fade to black.
Fear or something very much like it, kept it frozen in place. Mere inches away from the port.
Its grip tightened, it's small hands struggling to keep it held in place. The drone was running out of time, if lost it's grip it would float away from the battery.
In one fluid motion, it's body rose and fell. Slamming hard against that massive battery.
The drone shook; it's eyes as well as the display grew dim with each passing second.
Until both were dark as obsidian, yet for a few seconds. The drone clung tight to the shell.
Even as it's life slipped away, as it's single objective was completed.
That little machine clung to the battery.
Yet when the massive rod of wires and metal started to spin, it shook those little hands free.
For a few seconds, it's lifeless body floated away. As a gentle hum started to fill the room, lights followed after, along with more noise as various machines came alive.
One of the sounds was the artificial gravity, which sent the drones body to the ground with a heavy crash.
In that sea of sound, came something else or rather. Someone else, a soul thought lost to the void ages ago.
In the main deck.
A large console had sat dormant, but with the return of the ships power. It started to wake.
Lights lit up across it, in a sequence of color like a rainbow. Reds, greens, shades of blues and gray.
Until they finally settled on a vibrant green.
The green light began waving in different patterns, creating a hardlight projection with a strikingly human visage.
A clean pair of dress pants, a vest, slicked back short hair. It's face, clean shaven with a strong jawline.
The figure did a small twirl as he rose to his feet. Smiling warmly as he began to speak.
"Good morning my dear friends! And an especially good morning to you Carly, my-" before he could finish. He noticed something odd.
There wasn't a soul in the room, his faintly accented voice slipped from it's happy tone. Sounding concerned, or even afraid. His colors shifted from a solid single dark green, to a mix of gray and orange.
His gaze slowly scanned the room, noticing a few objects out of place. As if they'd been tossed about. Or were knocked over in a rush.
Some writing tools, logs even a chair was out of place.
It was a rather curious sight, since it didn't appear anyone had been by in quite sometime.
"What in the world happened here?" the ai said aloud, a slight unease weighting on him.
"Normally I'd be greeted by Carly, or Jaime, Chaz, even Tatsuki." his tone was somber, and undercut by a deep concern.
With a question in mind, and few other options. He switched his view to the ships cameras.
He started with the front decks main doors; for some reason the sight of those large dark gray rectangles made him uneasy. With a flick of his hardlight wrist, he changed the feed. Instead viewing the main hallway that ran through the length of the ships upper deck, the cameras mainly looked over the foot path.
Including a small glimpse of the stairs that ran through the rest of the vessel. Past them.
There was a pair of sealed doors, with a neon sign sat above them.
"Life boats." it said in its bright red glow. Once more, he was struck by a deep unease. That made him turn away the cameras sight.
Choosing to look through the cameras in the second level; the hallway running through the second level was a bit smaller.
On both sides of its foot path, were two decently sized doors leading to the main crew quarters. Past them to the left was the ships kitchen.
Even further, in the deepest reaches of the vessel was the main battery, engineering and it's various core systems.
"Something isn't right, where is everyone?" he switched then to the crew quarters, starting with the room of the captains second Jaime.
Old bits of technology laid across his floor. The ai laughed, "He always did have such a hobby of mucking about with anything mechanical."
Unfortunately, most of his projects looked unfinished. And the ones that weren't, were damaged when the artificial gravity came back.
There was a wrist shaped sensor, an old music player, and a strap hung loose from the table.
"I wonder what you were working on Jamie, I know that Chaz used to give you a hard time." recalling him from his database.
He shifted his view to the engineers room.
It was littered with tools, most of which laid close to an old wooden table. On it rested an even older tool, one made to help lift spirits. Rather than twist bolts or hammer nails.
Still tightly strapped in place, was an accordion.
"You always did love that strange instrument. I recall when you played it for me, Jaime and Tatsuki."
Once again, he changed the feed.
This time, to the room of their chef. Some of her belongings had fallen on her bed, but most. Had shared her coworkers fate, being scattered across the cold metal floor.
For some reason, it caused him to become a shade of black. "Goodness, they might just be things. But they were your things, they deserve better than resting against the dirty floor." Finally, he looked to the room of their captain.
Which sat right next to the control room.
Her room was a bit more decorated, trophy's bedecked the wall above her bed. Beneath one of them on the right side, was a fine wooden nightstand.
Atop it, sat a photograph of her, Jaime, Tatsu and Chaz. Peaking from behind her left side, stood the green ai, his head almost resting on her shoulder.
Seeing them, their smiling faces. It caused something like a memory to surface.
Old audio filled his speakers, in place of his voice. Was a recording of the crew.
"C'mon get Liam in the frame, you know he's part of the crew just like the rest of ya!" for a moment, he stood in silence. Unwilling to stop the recording.
"Ay ay Captain!" jokely replied Jamie. While he set up the camera, Tatsuki spoke softly walking by him.
"And do get my good side, a lady must look her best in any photo."
Carly shouted, "Oi Chaz get the lead out! We aren't gonna wait on you all day here." he replied with annoyed grunts and grumbles as he made his way over to join them.
"Set the timer then get your ass over here Jaime, captains orders." Liam then leaned forward, placing his chin on her shoulder with a curious expression.
"Isn't it wrong to abuse your position as captain for a casual photo?"
She turned to regard him with a frustrated glare, "It may be, but it's also wrong for a crew member to question their captain!" Carly said whilst trying to grab hold of Liam, his hardlight body slipping just out of reach.
"Understood Capt- I mean, Carly."
"C'mon Cap'in, can ya stop fiddling with Lee'im fer a few? Ya told me to get the lead out, but yer the one playing."
Chaz said with a cocky tone, a small grin hidden partly under his mustache.
"Stuff it." she replied, before taking position next between him and Tatsu. Liam leaned forward, standing just behind them with a smile.
Jaime set the timer, then quickly rushed over to join them. Taking a crouched stance in front of Tatsu. Who leaned to her right, angling her cheek more forward.
A few seconds passed before with a click, the old device captured the moment in time. Much to the clear delight of their captain.
She walked over to it, and inspected the screen on its rear side. "Turned out pretty damn well I think. Good job Jamie, also thank you two for joining us."
Tatsu nodded a shallow nod, "But of course Carly. You know I'd drop whatever I'm doing should you need me to, as would Chaz." she said, turning to regard him.
He sighed softly, "Ah'course, just ya know. Gimme a heads up in the future, I was in the middle of getting our routine maintenance outta the way."
Liam spoke up, catching his ear. "Did you require any assistance? I'm more than happy to help." the old engineer shrugged.
"Nah I'll be fine. Thank ya kindly Lee'im, I always appreciate yer enthusiasm. Reminds me of myself as a boy. Fore I forget though. Chime in to my room later, wanted to get your opinion on something."
The ai nodded deeply with a smile.
"Will do!" those words hung in the air. Leaving him with a deep feeling moving through his core.
"What is this?" for a few minutes, he stood. Letting the emotion fill his data stream, it felt wonderful. However, beneath it lingered a sting; nostalgia filled his date stream. With it came a vision of the crew.
They walked around the main deck, talking. Smiling, laughing. Liam reached out to them, his hand slipping through them as he realized.
He was still alone, it was tis not but fakery, just old recordings over laying his visual receptors.
"Ah, goodness. I. I need to assess my current situation, that's what Carly would have me do. Instead of letting old thoughts distract me." Liam shifted his focus to the current energy supply of the ship.
And was stunned, seeing he only had around five hours of time before it was drained back to nothing.
"Oh dear, maybe I can single someone for assistance, yes that's it old boy. We went through many rough spots together, and never once did we let sorrow stop us!"
His voice boomed with confidence, as he recalled his captains stubborn refusal to give up.
Liam went through their communication systems; only to find that his messages wouldn't reach anyone.
"Ah. Wait, what about our engines? If they still work, I may able to reach a more populated area!" quickly he switched to the engines, finding one tucked back in, and the other half smashed in place.
"Bugger. Well, what was it you used to say ma'am?" he said, looking through the screen at the captain's photo.
"Bright burn like a shooting star, until you burn out." Those words practically echoed in his mind, or at least the collection of data and sub routines that acted as a human mind would.
"She always used to say that when we talked about her deeper fears, she always seemed so confident in those words. It was, striking."
He gazed at her face in the photo, her dark red eyes. And short dark blue hair, that was cut neatly just above her neck. Complimenting her tanned bronze skin.
Responsible, kind, yet stubborn as an ox. That's how he remembered her.
Even so, there was a side to her she'd rarely shown. On the long voyages, whilst the others slept.
She'd be wide awake, speaking with Liam.
"Hey Liam, you wouldn't mind if I talk to you a bit would you?" she asked with a nervous tone, her eyes looking away from him as she spoke.
He was a bit taken aback at the sight, it was rare to see captain Carly cutwright uneasy or shy. With a gentle grin he replied, "Of course captain, that is why I'm here after all. To assist you, and the crew."
The captain's chair moved to greet her, guided by the ai's will. She sat down, tucking her legs close to the seat while leaning back against it's large oval shaped rest.
Before being slid over to Liam, who had joined her in taking a seat of his own.
Carly looked at him, wide eyed and mouth agap. Liam started back, with a confused look. "What seems to be the matter captain?"
She signed deeply. Then placed her face into her palms, holding it there for around a few minutes. Liam placed a hand on her shoulder, speaking in a soft voice, he tried to reassure her.
"Take your time luv, there's no hurry. I may not fully grasp feelings. However, I do understand they can be quite overwhelming."
Slowly, she lifted her head revealing tired eyes, that looked well worn from crying. Soft pained whimpers slipped past her lips, and her hands shook.
"I'm afraid that this is all my life will be Liam, it's a feeling that creeps up on me. This feeling that I'll be stuck here until I'm old and gray."
He nodded as she spoke, his eyes focused on her expression. The smile she wore like a emblem was missing, in it's place. Her cheeks wrinkled inward, and her brow hung low above her eyes.
"I can't exactly relate, this ship it's all I've ever known. It was set in my programming before I was even created, my fate is stay here and man it until the day I can no longer do so. But you?" he said, holding his hand out to her.
Carly took hold of it, then he lifted her to her feet, while bringing her closer to him.
"There's a whole galaxy waiting for someone like you, all kinds of opportunities laid out in the far off reaches. Ever since mankind left their home world during the great golden age, there's been no shortage of things to do or find."
She laughed, ever so faintly. "You know Liam, one day I'm gonna take you with me. We'll settle down somewhere, maybe start a restaurant."
"That's a lovely thought Carly, I'm not sure what I'd do outside of this vessel. Yet, I think. I would like that."
His tone sounded somber, even a bit thoughtful.
"Liam, hun is there something you needed to talk about?" the captain spoke softly, while leaning against him. Meeting his eyes, which looked so unsure.
"I have thought about it, one day I will go offline for good, even though I am artificial. I am not immortal." he spoke with a clear certainty.
And his captain nodded. "I understand completely Liam. It's something that's equally been on my mind, one day we all fade out. Leaving behind the people we care about, the people we've left our mark on."
She looked back at the large twin doors as she spoke, which drew the ai's attention.
"But that's the beauty of life, you know that? Because all we can do burn bright like shooting stars; hoping we burn bright enough to outlive our end."
Liam looked at her, feeling something akin to relief.
"Quite right. Thank you capt- I mean Carly. I must say, I'm very lucky to have you for a captain. In fact, I believe we all are. Also if I might be so bold, I don't think a soul like yours could be stuck here forever."
He replied with confidence, and a warm smile. As she turned back to face him, he noticed her eyes looked sad yet her mouth was a wide smile. Suddenly, she almost hopped at him.
Embracing the hard light hologram in a hug.
"Thanks Liam, really. I think... I think that I just needed to hear someone else say it. So it felt real."
"It's never a problem my lo-" he caught himself, quickly shifting gears, Liam faked the sound of his speaker glitching.
"Ah. De-dear. My speaker seems to be. Acti-acting up."
Carly almost tripped over herself in surprise, falling back away from the ai.
Managing to catch herself on the console. He looked at her, an expression of heavy concern painted across his cheeks and eyes.
"A-are-yo-you okay?" she climbed to her feet from a crouched position, using the console to support herself for a few seconds as she steadied herself.
"Yeah, I just got spooked by you suddenly glitching on me! What about you? Should I fetch Jaime or Chaz?" she spoke with a raised brow, curious yet worried.
Liam replied with a quick nod, shaking his head side to side. Further frustrating his captain.
"Are you totally sure? If there's a problem, I want you to tell me. Like I've told everyone on this ship a hundred times over, if you've got an issue let me know." her tone became more demanding.
Carly stood firm, her arms crossed her chest in an unmoving stance. Liam nervously changed colors to a noticeable shade of dark orange.
"I promise Captain, it was just a small hiccup. If it happens again, I swear to inform yo-" she cut him off.
"Liam, you don't gotta get all formal about it. I, I worry about you okay." her arms fell to her sides, and she looked away. A slight blush filling her cheeks.
The ai knelt down, reaching out to her with a familiar expression.
It was a small smile, with lowered lids. Carly replied with a giggle. "Thanks Liam, for listening I mean. I'll see you in the morning." the words slipped past her lips, and landed on his audio receptors warmly.
She then turned her back and walked away. With that, he slipped back to the situation at hand.
"My, my goodness." Liam said to himself in a manner like a whisper.
For a minute or two, he stood in place. Feeling something, overwhelming, yet strangely pleasant. His glow became a mix of pink with hints of red.
Once the moment had passed, he sat down. And with a flick of his wrist, and a snap of his fingers. The ai brought up the current energy supply, four hours remaining.
"Seems time is offering me the small kindness of moving a bit slower, so I might better remember them."
Liam said with a frown, even though he was trying desperately to smile.
"I have so many things on file, birthdays, holidays. Some days were simply us existing. At least I've got that much, and as Chaz would say. 'Small comfert, better than none!'
"Ay Lee'em, glad ya came back to see me. I wanted to ask ya some'fing."
The old engineers mustache wiggled as he spoke. Liam appeard from the camera's projecter in Chazz's room.
Chazz waved him over.
And offered the ai a seat.
Doing the best he could, Liam sat a few inches above the chair.
In response, Chaz shrugged. "Good enough."
He sat by the work bench, where his accordion laid.
"Asked ya ta' come by, cause I wanted to talk bout a dream I had recently."
Liam leaned forward, with a clear curiosity in his eyes. Chaz looked him in the eyes, giving him a clear view of his expression.
Thick brows hung over brown eyes that rested on each side of his short portly noise. His mustache wiggled side to side as he begin his tale.
"Was planet side, many a moon ago. Stood on the boarding platform fer the ship. My girlfriend at the time, now my ex. Was standing across from me."
The big bushy brows lowered noticeably, "Was a dream, but It was straight from my memory."
Liam nodded as he spoke, "I've heard all things people see in dreams are from their memories." Chaz nodded his head in reply, "Ay heard as much before from a teach o' mine as a boy."
He turned away. "But, fore I go getting caught up rambling. Let me tell ya. I joined this company when I was still a young man, I've given the better part of my life to keeping ships like this in working shape."
As he spoke, his tone shifted from prideful to more somber, even regretful.
"In that dream, I choose to stay planet side with her instead. Ya know Lee'em, I've kept this old thing." Chaz said, turning to the work bench. His attention focused on the bellows of his accordion, "Because it was a gift from her."
Liam slowly nodded, his hand placed against his chin as he listened attentively.
"Ah' tell ya Lee'em, sometimes I wonder if the reason I still dream bout her is cause I decided to keep this reminder, ya know?"
Liam looked it over as he responded, "It might very well be the case Chaz, but I can understand why you'd hesitate to get rid of it. It's quite an impressive gift after all."
Chaz laughed faintly, "Ay yer not wrong. But ta' tell ye the truth, never cared bout how impressive it is."
His hand ran along the side, stopping above the keys, which drew Liam's attention.
There was an engraving, 'Always yours, now and forever more.'
"Sometimes, I can't help but think. If I went back, left this behind. Would she still welcome me back?" his lids hung low, as did his head.
Liam reached out, running his hand over the engraving. "That's a question many people have, unfortunately there's no one size fits all answer." with a small nod, Chaz replied,
"Ah' think you're right, Lee'em."
The old engineer sat back in his seat, stretching out a bit. "While yer still here Lee'em, I wanted to ask ya something else."
With a curious look in his eyes, Liam turned his attention to Chaz. "Hope this isn't, too personal. But I've been meaning to ask ya, do ya Ai dream?"
For a handful of seconds, Liam stood paused in thought.
"Well I, hm. I can't speak for every ai in existence, but I do personally dream in a manner of speaking."
Chaz visibly perked up. "Would ya be so kind as to tell me bout yer dreams?"
He turned away, pondering for a moment before answering. "On one condition. You will not laugh."
His normally friendly warm tone, became fridged and stern. The shift surprised Chaz.
"I wouldn't dream of it Lee'em." he said plainly.
With that reassurance, the ai began to explain.
"My dreams, or rather. The dream I seem to have most often, is always in black and white. I'm able to hear the world around me, yet my own voice is mute."
Chaz sat forward, wide eyed and enthralled. His hands still clung to the arms of his chair.
Liam however, had a much more gloomy expression.
"For some reason, we're at a beach. I can hear the waves crash against the shore, and I can smell the salty air. Yet what perplexes me most, I can feel the sand."
His gaze moved downwards.
Despite being an ai, he was wearing a pair of fine dress shoes that fit his style perfectly.
"I've never felt the touch of sand, nor have I smelt the salty scent of the sea. However." nervously he looked away.
Whilst the old engineer sat back.
"Don't ya worry, I told ya I won't laugh. Craftguide's honor."
Slowly, Liam turned to regard him.
"Thank you. As I was saying, I see our captain, I see Carly. Her hair is let down, clinging to her shoulders. She's, quite on display." as those words slipped out.
The ai turned a deep shade of red, at the sight. Chaz braced himself, holding back his desire to chuckle or giggle.
With a fake cough, the man spoke.
"Take yer time."
A tiny but noticeable smile slid across his face at his friends words. "She always has such a beautiful smile; even in monochrome, her eyes gleam with a glow."
His body turned a mix of red and pink.
"I feel her arms wrap around me in a tight embrace, it feels so wonderful." his voice turned quite tender.
Chaz nodded, paying close attention.
"Then she leans close to me, and kisses me so deeply. Goodness. How do I explain it?"
Liam became a blinding mix of red with hints of pink, the radiance caused the man to block his eyes with his forearm.
Yet he didn't speak, instead choosing to let his ai friend feel out the moment.
After a few seconds, he gathered his composure. And continued.
"I feel passion in every inch of my frame, when she pulls away. It stings. Oh how it stings. After that, I come back online completely. Feeling, deeply overwhelmed for quite a while whenever it happens."
Chaz stood, then made his way over to Liam. With a smile and sad eyes, the man spoke clear.
"Won't tell the cap'in or no one else bout this. Seems you've ought, a real complex issue there Lee'em."
Those words filled the embty ship, softly reverbing.
He looked around the room, his view turning to the window.
"We used to spend countless hours looking out that window together. Gazing at planets in the distance, passing stars, satellites."
Warm vibrant green turned to murky gray, as a shroud of sorrow fell over him.
With a heavy frown running across his cheeks, he checked the remaining time. "Three hours. Better than I expected, I must admit."
That little sliver of joy, was just enough to rip away the sorrow and allow a bit of hope to flourish.
Gray was replaced by a familiar vibrant green, along with it came a strange warmth.
It felt nostalgic, and shook the ai.
The sudden feeling staggered him, despite how familiar it felt, he couldn't quite recall when he felt it.
Steadying himself, Liam looked through his data, searching for another example of this sensation.
To his surprise, it was from the day Carly started, well over twenty years.
Given little choice beyond turning away, Liam braced himself. A lone figure walked into the main control deck, her dark red eyes looking all around.
Brimming with an unmistakable curiosity, she leaned over the controls as if inspecting them.
Until a sudden voice spooked her, causing her to jolt back to the door.
"Hello captain. Hold a moment." the voice said, in a cold, mechanical tone with a slight accent.
She looked around the room from where she stood, seeking the voices source.
It was then she noticed three bright green dots on the upper center area of the console, they spun quickly, then once more came the voice.
"Please state your role, name and why you are in the captains office."
The woman approached the console, worry taking curiosity's place as she drew near. "I do not mean to alarm, I am simply doing my given purpose. Help the captain and crew."
It spoke again, sounding almost upset.
"I'm the new captains assistant, Carly cutwright. Decided to take a look around my future office."
Once more, the dots spun this time changing color while they moved.
"Confirmed, you are- error, please explain. 'Future office.' with a smug smile, she pointed her left thumb inwards, "It'll be my office when I become captain, where's the error in stating the truth?"
Unsure, the three dots spun counter clockwise.
After around five minutes of watching them spin in silence besides the gentle hum of the console.
Carly angerly stomped her foot, demanding the ai to explain its issue.
"Issue = the current captain has no stated retirement time on file, nor is there stated time for you to take the position. Please explain." Carly softly laughed in response.
"Laughter isn't an explanation, I repeat please-"
She cut the ai off, "It's called ambition. I want their position, so I'm gonna work my ass off till I get it."
For a few minutes, the dots stayed in place unmoving, not even changing color.
Thinking she'd broken it, the new employee dropped to a squat and looked straight into the dots. Their green light reflected in her eyes.
"Ple-please step back. I am very expensive, damaging me would cost your position."
She laid her hand gently on top of the machine, giving it a soft pat. Which made the dots bounce up and down, left to right.
Unmoved, she stayed still watching them. "What's your name anyway?" Carly asked causally. To which the ai replied with silence for a few seconds, before giving an answer.
"...my name?"
Her eye lids fell low, and she rubbed the sides of her forehead. "Yes. Your name, I told you mine, why don't you tell me yours? Did they not program you with manners?"
A heavy sigh slipped past her lips.
"Okay, what's your role or position?" the dots lit up a bright orange, "I am am Logs, interactions, assistance, and monitoring."
Carly nodded, placing her hand against her chin for a moment, pondering. Much to the ai's confusion. While she was lost in thought, the dots gazed at her.
Finally, she spoke with a curious cadence.
"How about Liam? I think it suits you, but what about you logs and etc?"
The dots bounced right to left, slowly. Before coming to a sudden stop. "Data parameters state this option as, acceptable. I do think having a name, would make my role easier to fulfill for the betterment of crew and captain."
Warmly she grinned while nodding.
"Glad we're in agreement Liam, I look forward to working with you. Hope you feel the same."
As she turned to walk away, she heard Liam call out to her. Causing her to pause. "Thank you for naming me ma'am. Please travel safely."
Carly looked over her shoulder, and flashed him a wide smile. "Likewise hun." the familiar feeling poured on to his sensors.
Liam held his chest. His palm pressed against the place a heart would be.
After letting the feeling run its course for lack of a better term, Liam was struck by a thought.
"Wait a moment, how did the ship return to life? How did I come back online?"
Quickly, he changed his view to the lower level where the main battery sat.
Looking around the room, he didn't notice anything unusual at first.
Until he spotted a strange creature.
Its four legs were resting close against it's small rounded frame, and it's eyes were a deep abyss of darkness.
"That machine..." he was stunned at the sight, the beetle laying powered down the battery room floor.
Belonged to Jaime, he along with Chazz spent months working on it.
"Yo Lee what's up man!" the young alien man said warmly, his hand raised high above his head as he spoke.
Liam mimicked the gesture, trying his best to match his friends energy.
"Yo Jamie! Did I do that correctly?" he said with a nervous voice, a bit embarrassed. In response, Jaime gave a soft chuckle.
"Don't worry about it Lee, I know you're more chill man. Just be Lee, don't be me, y'know?"
There was always a genuineness to his voice, Liam thought to himself.
"Same to you Jaime, please never stop being you!" Liam said with a smile. His color a vibrant shade of green.
In response, the young man spoke.
"You know it Lee, so what brings you by?"
He said with a curious tone, as he turned away from his project to regard the ai.
"I was looking through the cameras, checking on everyone as per my daily routine. When I noticed you working on that strange project again. And well."
Liam gave him a small nervous smile; his color shifted to a light yellow. "I wanted to come see your progress."
Jaime sat up in his seat, gesturing for his friend to come closer.
His pointed ears wiggled, and his smile brought his large front canines to bare.
Despite being an alien, Jamie had a mostly human body structure.
Carefully, Liam peered over his shoulder at the table. On its metal surface laid a dark blue metal frame. It had a strangely animal appearance, that made Liam a bit uneasy.
"Really hope you don't me asking, but why this shape?"
Taking hold of its half finished leg. Jaime pulled it closer then sat it upright.
"Few reasons! First one, me and Chazz based it on the Jokerblues beetles from my home world. If you're curious bout the name, it's what settlers called em."
Attentively he nodded as Jaime explained.
"Reason two, I think a beetle shape allows to be mobile in tight spaces, while still being durable. Don't want the little fella getting broke."
Jamie spoke with a clear excitement, as if he'd been waiting for someone to ask about it.
"Last reason. I admit it's a bit silly, but when I was a kid, I actually had one as a pet."
His tone shifted slightly, sounding a bit softer.
Noticing that small change, Liam inquired more.
"So did you name it after that pet as well, or did you plan to name it after it's muse?"
His eyes lit up.
"Yup! Named it Jere. Comes from my people's word for music or rhythm. Little hard to explain."
Liam shrugged, "It's fine Jaime. I came to ask about your project, not your native tongue."
His friend clapped his hands together.
"Right! Speaking of projects, I've mostly been working on this but I've been working on improving your data reading gear on the side."
As he spoke, Jaime had rose from his seat and walked away from the beetle. Leaving it resting next to a pair of undone straps that clung to the sides of the table.
Liam looked it over, seeing exposed wires and the like.
Before his attention was wrestled away by Jaime shouting to him.
"Yo Lee! Come over here man, I wanted to show you my progress on this too." Liam quickly made his way over to his friend.
He was stood over a strange collection of kits, and other bits of tech. To the untrained eye, it'd appear as a pile of junk or random rubbish.
"Check it out man, it's half way done."
Carefully, he held up a rounded container with a strange appearance. It's middle was see through.
On both side were palm sized handles.
"I know it might not look like much, but this little piece of kit will help you read people's emotions better."
Jaime explained with a hint of pride in his voice.
Liam stepped closer.
And gave the chip a long silent observation, he looked over every inch. Inspecting it.
"I must admit Jamie, I'm quite excited to see you finish this upgrade for me."
The young man set down the container, and gave the ai a firm pat on his back.
"Makes me happy to hear that Lee! I'll let you in on a secret man. This is the first upgrade I've made by myself."
He looked down at the table, his gaze moving over the various pieces of kit and tech slowly.
Before he turned his attention back to Liam.
"I'm gonna be real with you Lee, it's been great working with Chazz over the years. I've learned a ton of stuff."
Liam nodded, and placed a hand on the young man's shoulder.
"I understand Jamie." with those words, he smiled and held up his hand. Offering Liam a form of high five, that used a closed fist.
The pair smiled, then pounded their knuckles into each other with a loud thud. "By the by Lee, thanks for checking in man. I appreciate it more than I could say."
In response, the ai shrugged. "Think nothing of it, I merely wanted to spend time with a friend."
His vision faded back in, and he found himself still focused on Jere. For the first time in ages.
He felt something more than upset, he felt genuine rage.
"It's not fair!" Liam shouted.
The shout faintly echoed through the vessels halls.
Followed by the sound of air being split, as his hardlight fists struck outward. In a desperate attempt to struggle against what he felt.
Finally, Liam fell on his rear. As sorrow took rage's place, he shifted through the various communication instruments. Lamenting his inability to call for help, not only for him but Jere as well.
"I can't believe you gave your life, just so we could live again. Yet I'm powerless to return that kindness."
Once again, his attention shifted to the medium sized beetle drone.
"What were you thinking Jere? Were you following your programming? Or was this an act of freewill? A choice you made, knowing fully well. What it would cost you."
Liam reached out his hand, as if to caress it's shell.
"I wish I knew."
For a strange reason, he couldn't quite understand. Seeing that machine, that was roughly the size of a house cat laying there. Filled his heart, or the various system's that acted in ones place.
With deep feelings of regret, and sadness. He lifted his hardlight hand once again, switching his view from the camera to the ships remaining power.
'Two hours.' weakly, he laughed to himself.
"Seems my barrowed time is almost up."
Carefully, he lowered himself and sat with his back to the front windows of the Roma sol.
"I may as well look through the feeds one more time." Liam thought to himself, seeking a form of distraction.
Flicking through them.
The ai saw various different things, still laying around in scattered messes.
One item in particular wrestled his attention to its presence, a humble book.
Laying on the cabin floor of Tatsuki's room, was one of her favorite romance novels.
"Knock knock." Liam said softly, as he entered the room. Tatsuki curiously lifted her head.
"Ah. Hello Liam dear, what brings you by?" her tone was soft spoken and under cut by a certain kind of elegance.
Her eye lids still had traces of eye shadow, and her cheeks faint hints of blush.
Though her lips still had a heavy cover of dark blue lipstick, and her hair was let down.
The crews cook was the very model of a graceful lady.
"Nothing in particular, I was walking the ship when I noticed your door was ajar. And thought you wouldn't mind a bit of company."
In reply, tatsuki give a small nod.
"That does sound quite pleasant, I was just catching up on some reading. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't appreciate a bit of conversation, say. Do you read Liam?"
She reached to her mouth as she asked, keeping her fingers just a few inches from her lips.
"I do, but I imagine our libraries are quite different."
Tatsuki giggled softly, "Come now. There's no harm in expanding your horizons, is there?"
He thought it over for a few seconds before responding. Then answered with an unsure, "Fine."
"Wonderful." she said, a clear delight in her tone.
Her hand patted a space beside her, a clear offer to Liam to have a seat.
But, instead he decided to stand by the bedside. To which she responded with a light shrug.
"I've recently been reading this romance novel, now before you say anything. Let me give you a plot rundown."
The ai leaned over to her, and looked at the front cover.
It was a odd sight to him, a dog headed girl.
Or maybe a humanoid dog girl? He wasn't quite sure.
She was wearing a tiara, and had bright golden eyes that faintly glowed.
Stood opposite her was, was a more reptile like girl. Her head adorned by bright yellow feathers that acted in place of hair, they appeared to poke out from her behind a cap.
"I'm sorry Tatsuki, this is a story for adults correct? I don't mean to be rude, but normally drawn animals aren't-"
She suddenly cut him off.
"Haven't you heard of not judging a book by it's cover?"
Liam wanted to argue, but the look in her eyes told him it'd be very pointless. "Right. Carry on with your explanation."
"Thank you. Now as I was saying, the dragon girl-"
Once more he interjected.
"Dragon girl?" Tatsuki glared at him, with an uncomfortably annoyed stare.
He replied quietly, "sorry."
She cleared her throat, and continued.
"The dragon girl is a famous painter from an under water village, its complicated." Liam nodded in response.
"Because of that, and her clear talent. She's known as the ocean eyed artist. Or ocean eyes."
As she explained, she held up the book and pointed to the reptile or more accurately dragon girl.
Her finger then glided over.
"While the princess is known as the moon eyed wolf girl, because of her bright golden eyes."
Unsure what to say, given how strange it sounded to him. Liam just smiled, giving an occasional nod to show he was paying attention.
"Here, why don't I read you a passage? Maybe that will help you get more in tone with the story."
She carefully spread the pages, picking up where she had been when he entered.
'A full moon shined down on the pair; they met in secret at midnight per the painter's request.'
'as she approached her, the princess felt a strange nervousness in her back. Her ears twitched, and her tail flicked.'
Tatsuki pasued, taking a second to look at Liam and make sure he was still paying attention. Given his focused gaze, she imagined he was.
"I'm sorry for calling you here so late, I know that royalty needs their beauty rest."
'Ocean eyes seemed calm at a glance, her body still as a stone. Yet a closer look betrayed her.'
'Much like the princess, she was horribly nervous.'
"Its Fine." 'came the reply from the moon eyed girl. Her ears still twitchy, her tail still flicking side to side. '
'Ocean eyes took a deep breath, then spoke, doing her best to push her nervous feelings aside.'
"I asked you to come here because I have a confession, even though I'm just a painter from a commoner village. One day I'd like to stand beside you, rather then across from you."
'The feathers that acted as hair shook beneath her cap, along with the rest of her scaled frame.'
Again Tatsuki paused, turning her head to regard Liam.
Finding him knelt down by the bedside instead of standing.
'The moon eyed girl was taken aback, in the time she'd known ocean eyes.'
'She bore witness to eyes that could capture the most beautiful sights, and hands that could recreate their likeness with ease. Hearing her refer to herself as common.'
'Lit a flame in the moon eyed girl.'
"How. How dare you!" 'she howled in fury.'
'Ocean eyes tried to reply, but was quickly silenced before she could speak.'
"I've seen your talent, you are more than common!"
'The moon eyed girl reached out, taking ocean eyes into her arms. Before kissing her deeply.'
Liam turned a bright shade of red, that illuminated Tatsuki along with her book.
"My goodness dear, I've never seen you so flustered." there was a clear smugness to her voice. And her expression.
He climbed to his feet from his knelt position.
"Yes well. I admit its a more touching story then I had expected."
She gave him a small smirk, and Liam replied with a small annoyed frown. "Yes, yes. I know I'll be having corvid for dinner tonight."
Tatsuki softly giggled, "Don't worry about it too much Liam, I was a bit. Apprehensive about the book at a glance as well, though I'm very glad you took a liking to it."
The ai nodded, while tapping his temple.
"I'm glad you read it to me, I've never really gotten a chance to share literature with anyone." his expression became a bit sullen.
"Next time why don't you bring a book by then? I'm sure you've got a vast library in those data stores of yours."
Her suggestion caused his sullen expression to quickly change, taking on a more hopeful or excited aspect.
"I do! Next time I'll bring by the story of Ashwood Agine! She's... Well very special to ai like myself."
For a moment.
Liam lit up a bright green, his expression a wide eyed smile that surprised Tatsuki.
"Goodness, I think I've heard of her in passing before, but I can only imagine her story is something truly stand out."
As she spoke, the cook gently closed her book.
Placing it on the nightstand beside that sat next to her bed.
"But for now, I'm afraid I need my beauty rest."
Taking the hint, he bowed.
"Right, good night Tatsuki. I'll see you at roll call in the morning."
Liam turned away, and walked back into the hall. But as he was leaving, he faint her whisper to herself.
"Always a gentleman aren't you?"
Those simple words struck a cord with him, making him smile as he walked the embty halls.
Once again, his past gave way to the cruel present.
His gaze lingered on the book, trying to recall if he ever got a chance to share that story with Tatsuki.
But no matter how hard he tried to recall, there simply wasn't any data.
"Ah. I'm sorry Tatsuki." Liam said to himself in a hushed whisper, red and blue clashed.
Causing a dark shade of purple to emerge through out his body, along his arms. His face.
Parts of his torso.
Liam sat. If he had been human, by now he'd be quite exhausted.
In memory he did not find the shelter he sought; it instead intensified his feelings of lonely and regret.
An individual created to be a friend, a helper, something almost human.
For the first time in his artificial life, a thought dawned on him.
"Is this pain?" by all logical standards, an ai should technically be unable to feel things like pain, there had no reason to feel pain.
Yet, it was the only way he could describe the overwhelming weight on his shape.
Something greater than sadness, a deep feeling that tightly gripped his mind.
From it, came a horrible revelation.
He had felt this same overwhelming pain before, his eyes drifted back to the doors.
"Carly, Chaz, Jamie and Tatsuki! All accounted for. Here's to a productive day team, or at least. A day worth your time!"
Liam spoke in a bright tone.
With it was a warm smile, and his body was a familiar shade of green.
Chaz replied first, "Ay, thank ye' Lee'em." the old engineers mustache wiggled as he spoke, a sight Liam knew well.
"I say Chaz, if you ever shaved I think I'd struggle to recognize you." with a small grin he laughed.
"Can't say I disagree wich ya!"
Jaime chimed in, "Yeah I can't imagine your face without it, really brings it all together." Chaz turned to regard him.
His busy brows lifted to better show his eyes.
"Ay and I couldn't imagine ye without yer hair all spiked like Jaime."
Playfully the young alien ran his hand along his spiked hair, that bloomed outwards akin to a bush.
"You got me there man, I don't really think I could rock any other style as well." Carly and Tatsuki looked to each other, and sighed softly.
"Swear no matter what species, men bond over the strangest things."
Liam ran his hardlight hand along his head, feeling hair or rather. A shape that took the form of hair.
"I have to wonder, do you lads think I'd be visually appealing with a different style?"
Before either of them had a chance to answer, Carly spoke up.
"You're perfectly visually appealing as you are Liam." the captain said plainly.
In response to her reassurance, Liam softly grinned.
"Oh Lee I just remembered!" as soon as the words slipped past his lips, Jaime was already leaving the room.
The rest of the crew shrugged in unison.
"I'm gonna go check the engines, main battery and the like. Wanna make sure we'll be in steady shape till we reach the next port."
Carly gave him a small wave, "Be careful." the old engineer gave a small nod as he headed out.
Tatsuki placed a hand on her captains shoulder.
"On that note, I'm gonna go get lunch taken care of, do chime if you need anything Captain." with a soft footed stride she walked past Carly.
Leaving her and Liam alone.
"I wonder what had Jaime in such a hurry?" he thought aloud, his right hand placed against chin. Pondering.
Seeing him lost in thought made Carly giggle.
"You always look so cute when you're thinking Liam, reminds me of how your dots would spin. Round and round."
Her words priced his thoughts.
Light red crept up his body, overtaking his usually green. Even his voice sounded a bit flustered.
"Yes- well. Thank you Carly. I must say, you're still as beautiful as the first time I saw you.
Before she could say anything, Jaime came rushing into the room.
Practically falling over himself in his hurry. Carly switched her attention to him, with a clearly angered expression. Reprimanded him.
"Jaime if I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times-"
He cut her off, "I know, I know. But this is important, I swear!" with a heavy sigh she responded.
"Alright I'll let it pass this time, but seriously try not running around the ship so much. Last thing I need is one of the crew getting hurt." her tone was stern on the surface.
Yet beneath it was a clear hint of concern.
"Sorry Captain. I promise to be more careful in the future, but I'm telling you, once I show you this in action you'll understand my hurry!"
Carefully, he held up a strange piece of kit.
At the sight of it, Liam gasped in surprise. Much to the confession of Carly.
"Two things, one I didn't know you could gasp. Two, what the hel is that exactly?" with a purposeful stride, the young alien walked past his captain. And knelt before the console.
"Lee, I'm gonna have to power you down for a bit man, I swear on my guilds honor, it'll be worth it."
His face was tense, and focused. But the ai's reply disarmed his anxiety.
"Go right ahead!" Liam sat down. Waiting for the young man to power down the console. Carefully, Jaime removed a metal plate from the console.
Revealing a myriad of wires, and various other bits of kit. Carly watched on. A bit of sweat running along her brow. Jaime could feel her nervous eyes on him.
Slowly the console powered down. Leaving a blank space in Liam's data stores.
When he finished the boot up sequence, he was met by a strange sight. There was various bits of information related to emotions.
Scattered around the pairs heads, and body's. It was a flood of data, highlighting things such as their eye movement.
Posture, and many other factors.
In essence, it was using the layered information to better determine their current stress as well as their over all feelings.
Jaime was a glow with excitement, while Carly was uncomfortably worried. Trying to steady her nerves, Liam spoke softly.
"Carly please don't worry, I'm perfectly fine. This bit of kit was something Jaime showed me a few months ago, its. Well I believe it'd be better to let him explain."
Her gaze slowly turned away from Liam, instead resting now on the young alien.
"Oh uh. Okay so to put it in blunt terms. Its a module that uses a bunch of different data to better figure out how someone's feeling, meant to help Lee read our feelings more accurately."
The captain rubbed the back of her neck, her free hand resting against her side.
"Well that sounds like a good idea. But I can't shake this feeling it might be a bit far. I mean Liam is meant to offer us assistance." there was a wearyness to her tone.
Jaime gave a small nod, before turning to meet his captains eyes straight on.
"I promise you captain, if anything goes wrong with it or it causes any issue. I'll take full responsibility." he stood straight up, hands placed firmly against his sides.
Liam spoke, getting Carly's attention.
"I'll also take my share of responsibility."
Gently the Captain flicked the bridge of his hardlight nose, causing Liam to step back.
"What was that for Carly?" he responded, a surprised look in his eyes.
"For acting like you needed to say it, I already knew you'd take responsibility. Its the way you've always been."
The data around her changed, showing she was feeling nostalgic.
Without his notice, his expression had shifted to a strange smile. Seeing her look so sure, so content. Eased him in a way he hadn't known before.
Liam thought back on his conversation with Chazz, and his talk about that strange book with Tatsuki.
His thoughts became a whirlwind of feeling. Seeing the data so clearly, he could see a faint hint of emotion.
That was hidden away beneath her gaze, her small grin. A feeling he'd felt for her, since the day they met.
"Carly, there's something I want to tell you."
She perked up, almost as if she knew what he was about to say.
Feeling a change in the room, Jaime quietly withdrew. Neither of the pair noticed, their eyes focused solely on each other. "Captain Carly cutwright I lov-" just as the words were about to slip forth from his mouth.
There came a terrible quake. Sending Carly to the ground. Liam reached out to her, trying to help her stand.
Jaime stubbled into the room, using the wall to help balance himself.
"Lee check the cameras!" without a moment of hesitation, he did as he was asked.
To his dismay, they'd been struck by some loose rubbish or maybe some chunk of a comet. Whatever it had been.
It smashed in one of the engines, deforming the metal shell around it inwards on itself.
Recalling Chaz, his attention changed to the view of the lower deck. In the cameras sight, he saw the old engineer limping. Holding on to his left arm.
"Jamie please fetch Tatsuki and head bottom side, Chaz is wounded!" Liam shouted, right as the young man was helping their captain to her feet.
Carly pushed off of him, giving him an almost angered look as she did.
"Well you heard Liam, get going! You don't have time to be worried about me." she spoke insistently.
He nodded in response, and ran out the door. While Carly took a moment to gather herself, before turning to regard Liam.
"I need a status report now Liam!" she shouted. The expression across her face one of fear, and worry. Without missing a beat, he answered.
"We are too far out from populated space to call for help, we've only got one good engine. There is a sling shot station near by, however our ship is currently unable to move in it's direction."
With a snap of her fingers, Carly responded. "We could make it using the life boats, I'll go get everyone together, make sure Chaz isn't seriously hurt, then come back for you."
Liam nodded with a confident look.
"Excellent plan Captain." she hurried out of the room, heading to the lower decks.
After she left, he checked the chance of the plan actually working. The ships systems informing him, "10% margin of success." Liam changed the data, over and over.
In the small window he had, he tried as many possibilities as he could imagine.
But only one had a margin of success that seemed realistic.
One of them would have to stay behind to increase the ships speed.
In essence sling shoting the life boats right into the sling shot station, otherwise they wouldn't have enough speed to make it.
The crew came charging into the room, lead by their captain. "Liam are you ready to get going?" she asked with a worried tone.
He turned to look at her, "Not yet, I need to back up some things. Or I may very well risk losing myself all together. Please focus on getting Chaz to the life boats, then you and Jamie can return to fetch me."
Liam did his best to sound confident, to sound sure. For a second, when Carly's eyes shifted. The ai was sure she'd seen through his lie.
"Okay. We'll be back in no time at all, so hurry it up!" she bellowed, giving the console a firm smack. Because taking hold of her wounded crew member by his side.
He took a moment to watch them leave, before engaging the main doors locks.
In a hushed voice, he spoke to himself. "I'm sorry my love."
At the life boats, Carly heard a faint sound.
It was the tiniest hint of words, but it sounded so loud and clear.
She hurried back to the door, Jaime close behind. The pair having left Tatsuki with Chaz while they went to retrieve Liam.
But when she reached the door, it didn't move. Angerly, she stomped her foot. Ordering him to open the door.
"I can not. Please understand Carly, I can't go-"
Carly cut him off, "We done have time for this Liam! Open the damn door!" she repeated.
He could see her, stood by the massive gray doors.
Steeling himself, he replied.
"You need to go now captain; one of us has to stay behind!" in response. She slammed her fists against the door. "Bullshit! What about our dreams, what about our future?! I'm not leaving you behind Liam. Now open the door!"
Jaime stood by, paralyzed. He'd never seen his captain so angry before.
At the same time, he'd never once seen her cry.
Tears ran along her cheeks. Her mouth twisted into a frown and her eyes formed into a hateful scowl.
"Please. Open the door Liam." he could see everything she felt in that moment so clearly, she was in pain. A pain that reached through the data into his systems.
"Please place both hands palm side open against the door Captain. Or I won't be able to disable the lock." she pulled her fists away, bushing away her tears.
Before gently placing her hands as he asked.
"Thank you LI-AAAAAAM!" from the doors came a few dozens volts of electricity. Causing the captain to collapse unconscious to the floor.
Jaime cautiously approached her.
Stopped by the sound of Liam's voice.
"I'm sorry Jamie, I'm. I am so sorry. Please forgive me, and tell Carly how much I love her." for a few seconds, he appeared before the young alien.
His body a deep shade of gray mixed with black.
"Lee..." was all he could muster.
Carefully he took hold of the captain, and lifted her arm up around his shoulder. Before retreating to the life boats, he took a second to meet Liam's gaze.
"I will man. And I'll miss you."
Liam turned his attention to life boats, then to the data readings. If they'd gone on even a moment longer, their margin of success would have been less then 2%.
As the life boat roared to life, he put increased the single engines output. Allowing the boat to truly fly across the infinite void.
In the outer cameras view, he watched a trail of light illuminate space around them akin to a shooting star. Before it hit the slingshots gravity pull, and was sent across the vastness.
From where he was, the sight looked so small.
"Thank you all. For being the best crew I could have asked for, please forgive me. And remember how much you each meant to me."
As the memory ended, Liam checked the time. Five minutes. With a deep sigh, he turned his attention to the cameras. Watching as one by one, they were snuffed out to blindness.
Until the room in which he stood grew dark; his own hardlight form reduced to little more than those familiar three dots. Using what power he had left.
Liam viewed that photo for a final time.
"I will never forget you all."
© Copyright 2024 Boar OniDude. (boaronidude at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326910-Drifting-memories