*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326859-Home-At-Last
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Family · #2326859
A cabin boy comes home after a long voyage. 300 words
Home At Last


Michael left the ship. Once he hit the dockside, he was slowed by the crowd.

‘Faith at this rate, I’ll be forever and a day gettin’ home!”

Finally, he broke free of the press and started up the winding street to the house that would always be home.

“I’ve been so long on a ship’s deck; I get winded climbing a hill!” he told himself as he paused for breath.

Breathing heavier than he expected to, the gangly boy reached the green door of a small house. He tried to throw it open. It was locked! Putting down his pack, he began to pound on the solid wood.

“We ha’ no money to pay ye, be gone! Hinder someone else,” a young but tired female voice said through the door.

Micheal brightened. He knew that voice.

“Katey, it’s me Mick,” he bawled.

After much rattling of keys and locks, his big sister threw open the door and then launched herself into his arms.

“Mick is it you?” she said into his cambric shirt through tears of joy.

“Sure, who else would it be?” he replied stoutly. She stepped back to look at him.

“Och, you’re nay boy nay more,” she exclaimed as she studied him.

“Where are Ma and Da?” Mick asked as he tried to peer over her shoulder.

“They had to find work or lose the house.”

“When will they be home?”

“Weekend. They live out during the week.”

Mick sighed sadly. Then he noticed.

“Kate are you with child?” he asked hesitantly.

She smiled sadly.

“Aye, but my man went to sea and was drowned while fishing.”

Mick put his arm around her.

“Sit down, I’m a dab hand at making tea don’t ya know?”

They laughed as they went into the kitchen together.
© Copyright 2024 dragonwoman (draygonlayd60 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326859-Home-At-Last