*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326856-Parents-Day-Off
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Parenting · #2326856
Ah, those good old dating days! If only we could re-live them!
"Something's buzzing."

"That's my mobile phone, dear."

"We promised each other ..."

"I know, I know, but I just can't do without the mobile. What if someone needs us urgently?"

Raj sighed and manoeuvred himself off Nitya. Another second and they would've been kissing and she would've ignored that 'silent-vibrate' gadget.

"Yes, darling, what is it?" Nitya was saying to whoever had called. "Well, then you must brush your teeth again if Nana says so. Yes, I say so and Daddy says so. Look, it's enough that Nana says so. Now don't call unless it's an emergency. No, brushing your teeth twice isn't an emergency. Now bye."

"Put it off, won't you?" Raj pleaded. "I mean, they have a responsible adult with them and all the neighbours are on alert that the parents are trying to have a day off ..."

"I'm sorry, dear," Nitya said. She hesitated only five seconds before she resolutely pressed the 'off' switch. "Now." She leaned her head against the back seat, and once more, Raj moved in for the cuddle.

They had decided that their day off would be a throwback to the time they were dating. They'd eat burgers at the roadside, have ice cream cones, walk in the park and make out in the back seat.

Nitya had broken the no-mobile-phones pact. She had hoped that by keeping it on silent-vibrate, Raj wouldn't know she had it along, but it had to buzz just when he was positioned right over her jeans pocket. They had also decided to postpone the burger, ice cream and walk, and get straight to the making out.

So there they were, parked under the same bush they'd used for this purpose in the dating days, trying to make out.

Except that the moment had been spoilt by little Arjun's call.

Raj was closing in when Nitya suddenly pushed him back. "Wait a minute. He ate a cookie? He's not supposed to have cookies at this time and his Nana ..."

"Sweetheart, never mind the cookie. Don't cry over digested cookies. Now let me taste your lipstick."

"But if Nana's allowed Arjun to eat a cookie, goodness knows what else they might be up to."

"It's nothing compared to what I want to be up to, if you'd let me."

"Just one minute, darling, I have to do this." Nitya pulled her mobile out of her pocket, switched it on, and ordered it to 'Call Nana'.

Raj balanced uncomfortably on one elbow as Nitya went over all the rules that were to be followed in her absence, and what the response was to be if anyone broke a rule.

"What?" she bellowed, finally. "You can't talk to me and take care of them? You mean they've gotten up to something while we've been talking? For Pete's sake what? HEY don't hang up!"

"Well, if Nana's hung up, we can now ..." Raj moved his elbow hopefully, but to no avail.

"Dash it, no answer. Raj, let's go home."

Raj didn't attempt to protest. He climbed out of the back seat and got into the driver's seat. She took a moment to pat her shirt down, and then joined him in the front.

"Are you mad at me?" she whispered.

"No. Not really. I knew you'd carry your mobile along, no matter what."

"You know me so well."

"You know me better."

"Okay, if you know me - then predict what I'll say when we get in the front door."

Raj grinned. Maybe he could get something out of this day yet.

"I can predict what you'll say," he responded. "You'll say Nana, Kids, come along, we're going for burgers and ice cream and then we'll drop you off to Little Theatre to watch Cinderella. Mobile phones have to be switched off inside the theatre."

"Yes, my prince, that's just what I'll say. Cinderella is a nice long pantomime, isn't it? So while they are at the theatre, you and I can ride this chariot to the ball!"
© Copyright 2024 THANKFUL SONALI HAPPY WDC 24 (mesonali at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326856-Parents-Day-Off