*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326772-Beginning
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2326772
Flash Fiction
Beginning

“Where did you get that?” Mom asked four-year-old Andy.

“It came out of nowhere.”

“We don’t have nowhere in our house,” she said, with that look on her face that told him she wasn’t going to give up until she was happy with his answer.

Andy had found the candy bar in Rita’s room. A room he was not allowed to go into, unless she was home, and she told him he could. She was still at school.

As he stood there with Mom staring down at him his mind was racing through possible answers. Ones that wouldn’t get him in trouble.

Mom was having a hard time keeping the serious look on her face as he was going through his thinking process. In the four years she had known him, one of her favorite things was his thinking.

She already knew the truth; she had left the candy bar in Rita’s room. She had one for Andy too, however now he wasn’t going to get it unless he owned up to the theft. Yet half of her was hoping for a story, she loved his stories.

“It was a cloud,” he finally said. “It blew right in my window! I bet it was in Rita’s room and picked this up on its way out!” he said, a completely honest looking expression on his face.

“That’s a story,” Mom said, keeping the straight face. “You can tell wonderful stories, but lying about things is not a story. No candy bar for you.” She took the bar, and turned before her angry face turned into smiling.

Somehow that moment stuck with Andy. Once he learned to write, he began to write the stories. You’ve probably read some… I can’t tell you who he is, he might tell the story himself someday!
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326772-Beginning