*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326748-Review-WHAT-I-MUST-TELL-THE-WORLD
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Review · Arts · #2326748
"How Lorraine Hansberry Found Her Voice"
What a heartwrenching, heartwarming, inspiring short biography! The author manages to vividly elucidate American racism of the 1930's through 1950's, showing it against the background of systemic racism via its effect on a specific family, and later, on several Black adults in Harlem.

The book is also educational: although I knew of Lorraine Hansberry's fame for her classic play "A Raisin in the Sun," (the title taken from a poignant line in Harlem poet Langston Hughes' oeuvre), I knew nothing of her life, orientation, or struggles, so I'm very gratified to have come upon and read this title. I think this book should be widely read.

Ms. Hansberry was a noted and notable playwright and a close friend of those in the Harlem Renaissance, including Langston Hughes [poet] and James Baldwin [author, journalist, keen observer of culture]. That period was a highlight of American American culture in the sense of the arts; but a deep blot in the sense of the ingrained systemic racism.
© Copyright 2024 Cobwebs-In-Space Reindeer (fantasywrider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326748-Review-WHAT-I-MUST-TELL-THE-WORLD