*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326657-Working-Without-a-Clue
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Mystery · #2326657
Sherlock Watson and John Holmes are back. 300 words
Working Without A Clue


Sherlock Watson stared openmouthed at John Holmes.

“I don’t understand.”

“I don’t have a clue. The case is so fresh, I understand they haven’t found any yet. Read this,” he said as he tossed Watson the morning paper.

“What? The police don’t have even one clue? Does that mean we’ll have to work without any?

“Naturally.”

“How does one detect without the use of clues?” Watson mused.

“That is for you to figure out. We must solve this case!”

“But how can we?”

“You’re always spouting off about deduction. So, deduct why don’t you?”

“How does one even deduct without clues?”

“Using your brains of course!”

“But I must have clues to stimulate my brain,” reiterated Watson.

“I find that hard to believe, old friend!”

Watson smiled slightly. Although both men knew it was true, Watson had always been too modest to admit it and still was.

“Come now, have at it!” Holmes encouraged.

Watson resumed his seat in the overstuffed armchair and freshened his cup of tea.

“I pray you will pardon me while I let my brain wander for a while?”

“Of course, dear man! Take all the time you need.”

After a half-an-hour deep silence, Watson stirred.

“Well?”

“It seems the butler did it!”

“What butler?”

“Doesn’t every stately home have a butler with a simmering resentment?”

“What about the heirs?” Holmes ventured.

“Maybe they promised him a pension if he did it?”

“But why would they? Wouldn’t they inherit everything without using the doddering old boy’s help?”

“Why do you assume every butler is on his last legs?”

“I don’t really, but it seems to be a trend for butlers.”

Watson threw down the paper.

“Come on Holmes, let’s visit the scene of the crime. Mayhap we can find our own clues.”
© Copyright 2024 dragonwoman (draygonlayd60 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326657-Working-Without-a-Clue