*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326560-Chapter-49
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Detective · #2326560
Dark Society
To this day, England remained unpredictable, so Stern witnessed his share of heinous crimes. And yet, with the recent missing person investigations, many clues often led nowhere. This being the case, he'd reanalyzed everything, hoping for a new sense of direction.

It was Saturday night, and Daniel sat in his office reviewing forensic evidence. Since the start, he'd managed this particular case alone, but as aspects turned more bizarre, he enlisted the help of a valued colleague. Sargent Sean Thomas had been with the bureau for twenty-two years.

Ten of which, in homicide, where he'd earned a commendation for outstanding police work. In other respects, it wasn't the evidence that stood troubling, but the suspicions Daniel hoped Sean could help silence. Now, the more mysterious a case, the more Daniel dedicated himself.

In return, he wasn't trusting, which served when weighing the evidence. In light of that, he felt unnerved by the ambiguity encircling Sabrina Kole. In time, Sean arrived, rested items on the desk, and took a seat. Alas, it'd been a while since they'd worked together, but Thomas always got results.

“You never look happy.” Sean uttered, sampling coffee.

“Am I that obvious?” Daniel questioned as Sean seized various images from the desk.

“What are we looking at?”

Promptly, Daniel perched up and clasped his hands together.

“Saint Claire/Lloyd case.”

Nodding, Sean's eyes lifted.

“Why would you need me for that?”

Turning, Daniel sulked.

“Because the list of suspects keeps getting longer.” he admitted. “Plus, I'm running out of leads, so here you are.”

At long last, his attention stood fixed.

“What do you know?”

Gradually, Daniel rose and moved to the window.

“Larson and Hill are somehow involved, but that's not all,”

Gradually, Sean relaxed.

“Go on.”

“Karen Solomon.” Daniel proclaimed. “One big mystery.”

Candidly, Sean arranged his cup on the desk.

“I assume forensics went over the apartments?”

Slowly, Daniel closed, passing a large manila file.

“The reports in there.” he stated. “Aside from the basics, there isn't much.”

Verbetum, Sean reviewed the summary.

“Who's she?” he questioned, displaying a photo of Karen.

“A known occultist of the Lady of Victories synagogue.”

Peering, Sean shifted.

“Still involved in witchcraft, are they?”

“Bishop Luen isn't preaching the gospel.” Daniel joked.

“And yet, it's the first time witches are engaged in kidnapping.” Sean revealed.

“Not to mention, four kids have vanished, and close friends know nothing.” Daniel added.

“So far, I'm following you.”

“Then, Sabrina Kole returns to America without telling anyone?”

“People travel; what's the point?”

Swiftly, Daniel glanced.

“I was rethinking the interview at the dorm.”

Gingerly, Sean smirked and placed the folder.

“I'm listening.”

Daniel paused.

“Something Ms. Solomon said.”

“Yeah, and?”

“When I asked how I could find Sabrina, she was most forthcoming about her friendships." Daniel explained. "So much so, Karen sounded eager to volunteer any information.”

“What do we do?” Sean asked, pitching forth.

Settling, Daniel groaned and silently rolled his eyes.

“Let me see if I understand.” Sean confirmed. “Sabrina comes from the U.S. for school, then decides, out of nowhere, to go home?”

Shrugging, Daniel nodded.

“Investigate Karen and Sabrina and consider Larson and Hill suspects.” Sean concluded.

Angered, Daniel clutched a file.

“I need to hear what she has to say, but their government will resist.”

Agreeably, Sean nodded.

“More so, now that she's returned to the States.”

In the interim, Daniel referenced notes.

“There are too many variables - Larson, Hill, Sabrina, and those damn synagogues, what does it all mean?”

Sean shook his head.

“Those institutions generate a lot of negative publicity. Albeit, if they're directing spiritual ceremonies, it might be a good time for a visit.”

Daniel gazed.

“Are we dealing with the supernatural?”

“Listen to yourself.” he answered. “It's nothing more than a mob of teenagers experimenting with witchery. Other than that, there weren't any signs of foul play. So, for now, go by the book, and I'll make some calls.”

“I guess you're right.” Daniel countered. “I'm working way too hard and need a break anyway.”

As usual, Sean stood and began pacing.

“Let's follow up and not jump to conclusions.”

“What's the next move?”

Sean settled and gazed.

“Contact the U.S. consulate.”

“Schultz and Landry?”

Without fail, anxieties escalated, but logic prevailed despite the urgency. In the end, the evidence wasn't conclusive, and foreign law would delay due process. Whatever the circumstances, efforts to implicate Sabrina had begun.
© Copyright 2024 Darkscape Entertainment (darkscapemedia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326560-Chapter-49