*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326547-Chapter-44
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Adult · #2326547
Dark Society
Nightfall drew near as Luis sat alone atop a ridged rock formation within Hyde Park. (A linear hiking trail he often frequents to soothe stress). All day long, tensions weighed as fears of deprivation lingered. As a diversion, he admired the sunset, anxiously awaiting Sabrina's call.

Unconsciously, he was a sage of omen and recognized fate. In which case, Luis hoped this twilight didn't signify the end of a viable tomorrow. In the short term, he'd struggled with her absence, and stood willing to give Sabrina his heart.

"Hey, stranger." she greeted.

Instantly, Luis twinkled as horizons faded.

"I needed to hear your voice."

"Likewise."

As things go, the eloquent backdrop presented the ideal setting for a conversation. Not counting, Sabrina also seemed delighted to hear from him again.

"Why didn't you call sooner?"

Snickering, he noted the time.

"I assumed you'd be in school."

"I'm not, but I'll be home soon."

Concurrently, Tim and Julia occupied the evening in preparation for another late-season storm. Though, as Sabrina arrived, she thankfully appeared elated and focused.

"She's smiling; that's a plus." Julia declared, drawing the blanket.

"Close the door already!" Tim bellowed as Sabrina entered. "We're not heating the outdoors!"

Promptly, she laughed and closed the door.

"I can only move so fast, father."

"Learn to move faster," he joked, grinning. "Mom left you something if you want to eat."

Immediately, Sabrina's eyes swelled while greeting her parents. Though, as they snuggled, Julia cringed and nestled deeper into the cover.

"Don't do that!" she cried. "At least not until you've warmed up!"

Passing into the kitchen, Sabrina sneered.

"It's not that cold, you big baby."

Peering, Julia scowled as Sabrina fumbled through shelves and extracted dishes.

"Is this what I assume it is?"

Pitching forth, Tim glared.

"It's free, so don't ask questions."

Fixed in position, Sabrina savored a meal of baked chicken and marinated sweet corn, complimented by her mother's homemade cherry pie.

"Were you going to keep quiet all night?" Julia inquired.

Graciously, Sabrina grinned, but soon turned away.

"We're waiting." Tim pleaded.

"I registered, spoke with my new professor, and found an old friend."

Oftentimes, Julia perceived Sabrina's thoughts, though now found it more challenging. Alongside this, something had come up, and there wasn't a delicate way to discuss it.

"Jennifer called."

Instinctively, Sabrina gripped the locket and peered through the window.

"I figured as much."

Alas, it'd been some time since they'd seen each other, so their relationship felt stressed. Faced with this, Julia remained sympathetic to the situation.

"I hope everything's alright." Tim queried.

Standing, Sabrina cleared the table, hoping to change the subject.

"Do you remember Michelle Dyson?"

Shifting, Julia recollected.

"Don and Melinda's daughter?"

"Yeah."

Swiftly, Julia arose.

"What about her?"

"I bumped into her this morning." Sabrina explained. "She's the old friend I mentioned."

"That's a name I haven't heard for some time." Tim interjected, noting Julia's expression.

Gradually, Sabrina moved towards the stairs.

"Are you turning in?" Julia questioned.

Sabrina giggled.

"No, I just need to make a call."

Gratified, Tim grinned.

"Luis, I assume?"

"Yeah."
© Copyright 2024 Darkscape Entertainment (darkscapemedia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326547-Chapter-44