*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326545-Chapter-43
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Arts · #2326545
Dark Society
Saint Anthony's Cathedral, pastored by Sovereign Paul Steele, exemplifies divinity, enchantment, and occultism. And yet, they couldn't practice while laboring to restore order and discredit recent allegations. On a fateful night twenty years before, Pastor Harold Morgan, his wife Katherine, and their two children went missing. In the wake, much of the conclusive evidence became unattainable, so Paul began investigating. However, despite his efforts, various queries only led to more questions.

While that's happening, his commitment to the ministry grew, and he'd implemented new doctrines. Without regard for the extensive legacy of the Morgans, Paul also hid Harold's journals, determined to erase their lineage. Due to this, a silent rebellion soon formed within the sect, and pupils began to hone their skills in preparation of an inevitable coup. Though, Paul soon learned of the coercion and aimed to silence his detractors.

Meanwhile, nightfall came as remnants of a late-day storm subsided. Barring, as the sisters entered the chapel, a tinge of unease ensued. What's more, the summons felt unexpected, so everyone remained guarded. At first glance, Paul seemed calm despite consistent expressions of disdain.

At random, the philosophies of Saint Anthony's were changing, and with loyalties abandoned, all trust seemed lost. Even then, his approach was clear, and Paul stood determined to prevail. Then again, the church remained shrouded in ambiguity, so efforts to eradicate potential threats had also begun. Till now, he'd never scolded them or lacked a formal greeting, but it was unmistakable; Paul recognized the deception. Bearing that in mind, the sovereign stood ready to address concerns, despite Michelle's delayed arrival.

“Forgive me; I have no excuse.”

Shifting, Paul sneered.

“Your excursions were no doubt exhausting.” he announced. “Though, I sense you have news.”

That instant, Michelle stood alongside Raina.

“I do.”

Then and there, everyone grew captivated as hope billowed.

“Do tell.” Paul stated, drawing close.

Next, the sisters observed as Michelle stepped forward. And despite Paul's lack of physical enthusiasm, he appeared intrigued.

“Sabrina's returned.”

In a flash, the sisters amassed, though Paul's silence stood peculiar. Either way, he remembered Sabrina, though Julia had sheltered her away. Nevertheless, the news only confirmed his suspicions.

“When?” Raina demanded, grinning.

Organizing photos, Michelle glared.

“This morning.” she answered. “At the university.”

Again, everyone huddled together as Michelle displayed photos. Intuitively, smiles remained abundant, though everything about Paul's reaction thus far stood contradictory. Whatever the circumstance, the sisters seemed ecstatic despite his misgivings.

“See that Sabrina finds her way here.” he instructed as Michelle's eyes lifted.

Though obliged to comply, Julia's directives were explicit. Except that Paul was a mentor, and disobedience stood prohibited. In light of that, trepidations mounted, and a need for neutrality felt warranted.

“I've asked her to communion.”

Agreeably, Paul nodded.

“Then, I look forward to seeing her.”
© Copyright 2024 Darkscape Entertainment (darkscapemedia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326545-Chapter-43