*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326543-Chapter-42
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Emotional · #2326543
Dark Society
Through the night, veneers of pristine powder cloaked the countryside between Cottonwood Falls and Lawrence. Albeit, apart from the scenic commute, Sabrina arrived on campus nervous about registering. In all probability, she'd toured the suburbs of Lawrence countless times, but the inner city stood unique, without any sense of familiarity.

“Good morning; how can I help you?” the administrator greeted.

Immediately, Sabrina's cheeks animated with a kindly smile.

“Good morning,” she retorted, passing papers. “I'm Sabrina Kole, the transfer from Imperial.”

Swiftly, the clerk accepted the scripts and checked them over.

“Welcome to Kansas University.”

Eavesdropping, a gentleman seated nearby quickly stood and converged.

“May I see her paperwork?”

Right away, Sabrina observed as the curious gentleman studied the transcripts. Though, after noting the unease, he initiated eye contact.

“You're a Marketing major?”

Upon which, Sabrina remained obliging.

“Yes.”

“I'm Professor York, Patrick York,” he proclaimed. “It seems you'll be attending my class.”

Unsurprising, Sabrina seemed jittery, as Patrick bantered and returned the documents.

“Ms. Kole,” he began. “You're starting late, but I'll give you a few days to adjust.”

All together, Sabrina beamed and placed the papers into a bag.

“That'll be fine, thank you.”

Curiously, Patrick followed.

“I'm astounded you changed schools knowing Imperial's reputation.”

Then and there, Sabrina sheltered.

“It's a long story, but I'm happier.”

Nodding, Patrick agreed.

“If your scores are a sign of what you're capable of, you'll do well.”

“Thank you, and I'll see you in class, professor.”

Momentarily, York watched as Sabrina moved through the courtyard. As required, she'd acted personable and well-mannered, but there was something elusive. This means that after reviewing the transcripts, a valid motive for such a change eluded him. Directly after, Sabrina entered the UBC J Café amid the congestion of undergraduates.

“A picturesque place,” she thought, sitting by a front window.

For a while, Sabrina admired the subtlety and delicate charm, while savoring an espresso amidst the morning snarl. Though, while doing so, the phone sounded. Alas, Sabrina hadn't spoken to Tatum in some time, so when the message cited recent happenings, it captured attention.

Afterward, Sabrina pondered Karen and Lyndsey's involvement, Kyle and Logan's isolation, and Trina and Jasmine's extended absence. Not only that, she thought of Luis and the eagerness to see him again. In other respects, there was Jennifer and her evasive manner since returning to San Francisco. In consequence, premonitions again surged, though a recognizable voice would soon echo from the distance.

“Sabrina?”

Sinking back, she gawked.

“Michelle?”

At that moment, a face thought long forgotten emerged.

“It's been a while.”

Energetically, Sabrina rose and offered an embrace.

“You look good, but different.”

Easing, Michelle shifted into a seat.

“You're back from Europe?”

True to form, Sabrina swept through her hair.

“How'd you know I went to England?”

“News travels fast,” Michelle returned. "Especially when you disappeared following graduation."

Squinting, Sabrina paused.

“I thought it was the right decision,” she explained. “However, it wasn't what I expected.”

Unsurprisingly, responses were straightforward and genuine. Although, judging by the fluctuating expressions, Sabrina preferred to remain elusive.

“Are you home for good?”

Slowly, Sabrina leaned forward.

“Yes.” she answered. “Albeit, I'm still adjusting.”

As time went by, Michelle had evolved and accepted her affiliation with Saint Anthony's. This is why she stood attired in all black, with many unique adornments.

“I'm staring.” Sabrina remarked. “But I can't believe how much you've changed.”

That said, Michelle laughed.

“You're not the first to say that.” she asserted. “So, do you still attend church?”

“I haven't in some time.”

Shifting, Michelle sensed the anxiety and wanted to ease the tension.

“Then, accompany me to communion.”

Instantly, Sabrina recalled the sacramental ties to Saint Anthony's, and despite not visiting lately, the passion for the doctrine remained unabated.

“We'll see.”

Above all, Michelle stood gratified, but knew Julia would oppose the invitation. Therefore, the probability of Sabrina returning to Saint Anthony's wasn't likely. Though, no matter what may happen, Michelle remained determined.

“I thought you'd like to know,” she affirmed. “Our sisters still attend.”

Without haste, Sabrina perched up.

“Rachelle, Denise, Kim, and Raina?”

Nodding, Michelle smiled.

“Yes, and I'm sure they'd love to see you.”

Later, following pictures and an exchange of information, Michelle left. Coincidentally, everything seemed anew, though Sabrina still doubted the reality. Whatever the case, she'd reunited with Michelle and resurrected their forgotten friendship. By so doing, Sabrina ventured home, optimistic about the future.
© Copyright 2024 Darkscape Entertainment (darkscapemedia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326543-Chapter-42