*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326510-No-Expectations
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #2326510
Princess Wanda rebels about marrying. 300 WORDS
No Expectations


"What did you expect?" Queen Barbara asked her daughter Wanda.
"I was supposed to have expectations?"
"I know I did when I met your father."
"There were so many of them, which was unexpected!"
"You are a princess and our land is rich. Without sons, it will all go to you."
"Can I not be a sovereign without a husband?" Wanda asked.
Her mother grew thoughtful.
"Would you not want a strong husband to be your right hand?"
"What little I saw of those suitors you paraded before me, makes me think I would be bullied, bored and condescended to by all of them. You could see the greed in their eyes!"
"What about leading the army?"
"I don't see why I couldn't do it! I am as skilled as any man I've ever met and more skilled than most."
"That's true. Your father never saw the sense of forbidding your interest in arms, horses and training with your cousins."
"I know you fought against it, Mother. But I'm glad you didn't win!"
The Queen smiled. Then it faded.
"It will mean changes to our laws, my dear. You will need your father's help!"
Wanda stood and began to pace in agitation.
"Will you help me convince him?" her daughter asked anxiously.
"I can but try. But when it comes to the kingdom, your father is definitely old school."
"Can we do it now?" Wanda begged.
"Let's do it!"
Minutes later, the royal family could be heard arguing at the tops of their voices. The courtiers and servants had never heard the like!
"The King is literally bellowing, I fear," the Cook said.
"You can hear the Princess' red hair in her voice," whispered the ladies.
The sudden quiet was deafening. When the royals emerged smiling, everyone was relieved.

© Copyright 2024 dragonwoman (draygonlayd60 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326510-No-Expectations