*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326490-Chapter-34
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Friendship · #2326490
Dark Society
Sabrina escorted Jennifer inside, but as she and her mother made eye contact, qualms arose. On that note, Julia turned to Tim as the girls settled at the kitchen table.

“They've found us,”

Later that night, the moon cast radiance upon several inches of new snow. And as Sabrina tended to the dinner dishes, Jennifer was again anxious to talk.

“Got a minute?”

Organizing towels, Sabrina twisted and smiled.

“Of course, as long as you dry,”

“I'm sorry I surprised you,” she remarked, clutching a towel. “It wasn't fair to you or your family,”

Like always, Sabrina sympathized.

“Just the same, I'm glad you stayed,”

Jennifer grinned and nodded.

“So am I, but I didn't mean to burden you with coincidences,”

Sabrina breathed.

“Don't worry about it, but did you call your parents?”

Drying plates, Jennifer groaned.

“Yeah, but they sounded a little overzealous,”

Sabrina adjusted.

“It's a holiday, so can you blame them?”

Sluggishly, Jennifer nestled closer.

“I guess not, but the conversation seemed a bit weird.”

“I'm sure it's nothing,” Sabrina expressed, reposing at the sink. "Even still, I hope my parents were accommodating,”

“I felt right at home, thank you,”

“You tend to stare, don't you?”

“I'm sorry, I don't mean to,” she urged. “However, when I look at you and that mark, I see Samantha,”

Mindfully, Sabrina presented her left wrist.

“My mother and I both have it, if you were wondering,”

Gradually, Jennifer noted the inscription.

“I suppose it's another coincidence, is all,”

“What else is on your mind?”

“It's not important or an appropriate time,”

Gingerly, Sabrina seized a hand.

“Try me,”

“Everything isn't as it seems Sabrina,” she testified, deflecting. “And despite people's best intentions, a lie is still a lie,”

That said, Sabrina perched up.

“Speaking from experience?”

Smirking, Jennifer giggled.

“Life's best teacher,”

From the start, Sabrina sensed the sorrow caused by Samantha's absence. Not to mention, being apart during the holidays sounded like a painful trade-off. Leaving aside, Sabrina didn't know the specifics and didn't want to push. Whatever the case, Sabrina sat perplexed by Jennifer's fascination with her family.

“I want you to cherish our friendship,” Jennifer announced, revealing a small box.

Instantly, Sabrina stood shocked and searching for words.

“So much so,” she added, clasping a gold locket around her neck. “I got you a little something,”

More and more, Sabrina grew overwhelmed, though she didn't want to infer the wrong sentiment. Even if, she relished the gift and Jennifer's company.

“It's beautiful,”

Alternatingly, Jennifer rested against the counter.

“I'm going home soon, and I'll be gone for a few weeks,”

Sabrina settled, gaping.

“Story of your life, huh?”

“Not for long,” she affirmed, glancing around. “Besides, I like it here.”

Given that, Sabrina moaned as the conversation became pensive.

“What about Samantha?”

Sheltering, Jennifer contemplated.

“With her obligations, I'm still waiting," she answered. "No matter what happens, I hope we can keep in touch?”

Again, Sabrina smiled.

“I'd like that,”

© Copyright 2024 Darkscape Entertainment (darkscapemedia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326490-Chapter-34