*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326483-Chapter-31
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Adult · #2326483
Dark Society
At long last, the holiday recess had begun, so final farewells were commonplace. Bearing in mind, Tatum anticipated visiting relatives, but more so expected to see Sabrina. Except that, she'd remained secluded since the festival, so Tatum realized something was amiss.

Opposite town, Sabrina arrived at the airport under a shower of light snow. And despite the weather, Big Ben's distinctive clock face accented the unforgettable skyline. In the same breath, Luis arose, kneading a dry face and staring at the calendar.

The date was November 24th, the day of Sabrina's departure. It neared 8:45, and her flight was leaving at 11, so the chance to say goodbye stood workable. Although, as he readied, there was a sudden knock.

“What is it?”

Gradually, Caroline closed in with a distressed expression.

“You should come downstairs,”

Instantly, Luis followed and promptly met Tatum at the base of the stairs. As one would expect, there were few words, since expressions spoke volumes.

“No, she can't,” she exclaimed, as tears swelled and fists clenched.

Now, Luis silently observed as Tatum rushed out, and though Sabrina would feel angered, he followed. Expectedly, he felt anxious, knowing that following Sabrina wouldn't end well. Worse luck, apart from the airline, he didn't have the gate or flight number. No matter the case, Tatum eventually assessed the terminal, determined to locate her best friend.

“Any flights to Boston?”

“Flight 682 is boarding now,” the clerk declared, gesturing to the board.

Without delay, Tatum hastened to the window, praying Sabrina would rethink leaving. Instead, a feeling of helplessness was all the consolation she'd get.

“She's gone,” she whispered as Luis drew near.

“How'd you know?”

Slowly, Tatum turned.

“I wasn't sure, but I suspected something for weeks,”

Naturally enough, they felt abandoned and heartbroken, but unbeknownst to Tatum, Luis had also lost everything.

“She's not coming back, is she?”

At a slow pace, he leaned against the harsh masonry.

“I'm afraid not,”

Following that, Tatum wept and headed to the bathroom.

“If you'll excuse me,”

Everything being equal, Luis remained sympathetic to Sabrina's plight. Though, as the plane taxied, an eerie finality arose: Sabrina was leaving, and he'd be alone again. In time, Tatum returned and hurriedly gathered her things. After all, she still had a flight to catch and last-minute errands to handle. Apart from that, Luis worried about her well-being.

“Are you alright?”

Already, Tatum's sorrow stood clear, because Sabrina was her best friend and the only one who understood.

“I thought she cared,”

Hearing this, Sabrina emerged from the shadows and embraced Tatum.

“I do care,”

Inherently, Luis stood surprised, but still couldn't fathom why she'd waited. In any event, Sabrina stared into Tatum's eyes and smiled.

“You're coming with me,”

That said, Tatum recoiled, seemingly overjoyed.

“I'd love that, but how?”

“I've taken the liberties,” Sabrina proclaimed, presenting a new round-trip ticket.

Befittingly, Luis stood awed that Sabrina had stayed to say goodbye, even if it was for the final time.

“You knew we'd come?” he questioned, seizing a hand.

“I had a feeling,” she asserted, caressing his fingers. “I regret leaving as much as anyone, but it's for the best,”

Unsurprisingly, Luis tensed.

“I've thought about what to say, but I know it won't change your mind,”

In stages, Sabrina grieved as the pressures of departing mounted. Only, she couldn't leave without a semblance of closure.

“No, I'm sorry,”

It stands to reason, Luis stood saddened and needed to tell Sabrina how he felt.

“I've loved you since that first day,”

Initially, Sabrina felt taken, but they didn't know each other, and any interactions had been brief. Either way, she savored the meaning behind the words.

“Why me?”

Again, Luis grew frustrated.

“I don't know,” he answered. “However, it feels natural, and that's why I trust it,”

Directly, Sabrina nodded.

“That's why it'd never work,” she advised. “Besides, I'm sure Karen is waiting,”

In good part, the statement sounded strange, but Sabrina was right; Karen meant a lot to him. And yet, Luis pried into her dark eyes, hoping for a different result. Yet surprisingly, she'd turn away and retrieve her bag.

“Forget about me,” she persisted. “You'll be better off.”

Following that, Luis grew angered, believing the future was before him. For this reason, he acted instinctively and took Sabrina into his arms.

“What are you doing?”

Again, gazing into her eyes, Luis leaned in and kissed her. At the outset, she resisted, but as the osculation continued, Sabrina grew more receptive. At heart, she hadn't minced words and wanted this to happen, so as he paused, dark eyes elevated.

“Wow, that was,”

Predictably, Luis twinkled.

“Was?”

“Intense,”

At that, Luis grinned.

“I don't want you to forget,”

“Come on, we have to get going!” Tatum interposed, motioning.

Progressively, everyone moved through the terminal, feeling content, yet sombre. At the end, Jim's advice had worked, and Luis had finally gotten Sabrina's attention. Albeit, as the boarding call deluged the address system, reality returned.

“I don't know what's happening,” she admitted. “But rest assured, I'll miss you.”

Steadily, Luis teared up.

“This isn't goodbye,”

With anguish, he watched Sabrina and Tatum disappear into the tunnel. And though it'd only been seconds, it seemed like an eternity.
© Copyright 2024 Darkscape Entertainment (darkscapemedia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326483-Chapter-31