*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326437-Chapter-25
Rated: E · Chapter · How-To/Advice · #2326437
Dark Society
As often occurs, Luis struggled to rouse after a long night of cribbage. And though not an avid player, he'd enjoyed the time with his parents. Even with that, he drew the comforter as his mother knocked on the door.

“Go away,” he muttered, twisting.

Momentarily, Caroline entered, seeming more excited than usual.

“Are you dragging yourself out of bed sometime today?”

“Why should I?”

Grinning, Caroline turned.

“Because everyone expects you,”

Progressively, Luis arose, bleeding fingers through his hair.

“Besides,” his mother added. “You don't want to keep everyone waiting, right?”

Luis sneered and nodded.

“I guess not,”

In nothing flat, Caroline arranged the laundry while scrutinizing her next question.

“Is Karen going with the group?”

Luis stared, lamenting.

“As far as I know,”

Over the past year, life had progressed without much time to appease. As it turns out, amid tests, social pursuits, and the impending holiday, the winter recess had come at a perfect time. Thereby, as various seminars concluded, Sabrina finalized her plans. Not counting, she hadn't forgotten about Jennifer or the recurrent visions. On a related note, she'd experienced other exotic phenomena, and stood determined to discover the origins.

Meanwhile, university staff are busy refining plans for the inaugural event, so the common stood themed to symbolize happiness and merriment. Holiday traditions everyone enjoyed, but one Sabrina recognized as the last. It neared 11:30, and Tatum and Lyndsey had occupied the morning thus far chatting. As well, Kyle and Logan had begun to stir, still hoping to reach Sabrina.

“It's not a wise idea,” Logan declared, staring.

“What do you think we should do?” Kyle quizzed, as Logan joined his brother in the kitchen.

“I don't know,” he replied. “But, it seems Lyndsey is spending a lot of time with Tatum,”

Drawing close, Kyle pondered.

“I'm surprised, seeing how Karen has her on such a short leash,”

Time and again, Logan peered at the ceiling, expecting to overhear something from the above apartment.

“Kind of like you and Dena,”

Twisting, Kyle laughed.

“I guess so,” he clarified. “However, you didn't hear me saying anything about you and Lesley,”

“Low blow, my benevolent brother,”

“Even so,” Kyle continued. “We should call Brie,”

Agreeably, Logan nodded and began dialing. Unfortunately, they'd sought to contact Sabrina on many occasions with no response. This time, however, if there wasn't an answer, they aimed to visit.

“Brie, it's Logan; call me back,”

Thankfully, Sabrina lived above them, and if she was home, they'd know. Though, in moments, the phone rang, and Logan arranged the receiver against an ear.

“Hey, it's been a long time.”

“Hi stranger,” Sabrina answered.

“Where've you been?”

“I needed time,” she confessed. “However, everything's fine, so there's no need to worry,”

Slowly, Kyle converged, listening in.

“Are you attending the festival?”

“Yes,” she responded. “I look forward to seeing everyone.”

That said, Logan turned to Kyle.

“Are you going alone?”

As one would expect, Sabrina hesitated.

“I'm going with the house,” she informed. “I'll feel more comfortable.”

Logan groaned, though otherwise, felt relieved.

“We can't wait to see you,”

Again, Sabrina paused.

“If anything changes, I'll let you know,”

Afterward, Logan hung up and glared at Kyle.

“Do you think she knows?”

Gradually, Kyle smirked.

“We have the advantage; no one does.”
© Copyright 2024 Darkscape Entertainment (darkscapemedia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326437-Chapter-25