*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326429-Chapter-20
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Drama · #2326429
Dark Society
Some days before, Alex and Karen arranged to meet at the London Wine Bar on Carling Street. (A minuscule spot she regularly visits to alleviate tension). And considering they hadn't seen one another since the reading, an impromptu reunion felt warranted. Among other things, Alex had spent countless days conferring with Luis, but recognizing their bond, Karen understood. Apart from that, she again sounded distressed and wanted to talk.

“I hope you saved some,” Alex spoke, noting the half-empty wine bottle on the table.

Incrementally, Karen shielded her face. An exploit Alex didn't appreciate, identifying with the situation. As it proves, their friendship had suffered due to his absence, and he hoped to make a manse.

“You all right?” he demanded, taking a seat.

Before he knew it, she seized his hand.

“No,” Karen confessed. “I thought everything would work out, but I was wrong.”

Slowly, Alex eased.

“I'm sorry I've been distant,” he proclaimed. “But it's difficult to remain neutral.”

Right away, Karen adjusted.

“I don't blame you,” she admitted. “And I'm glad you're here.”

Alex twinkled and caressed her cheek.

“I'll always be,” he answered. “Besides, you have a habit of making someone apologetic.”

Turning, Karen seized the bottle.

“I expect you feel terrible,”

Ahead of time, she'd ordered a unique blend, knowing Alex was a connoisseur. Another reason, varied interest needed closure, and it was the perfect opportunity.

“I assume Luis is dating Sabrina?”

Immediately, Alex appeared passive.

“No, not that I'm aware of,”

Once again, Karen's eyes widened, recognizing Luis held a lingering attraction for Sabrina. For this reason, she stayed passive, not wanting to pose too many questions. In which case, Karen grimaced and placed the glass on the table.

“I didn't believe you'd undermine my intelligence,” she retorted. “Besides, I don't care if he's seeing her.”

Distressed, Alex finished his drink and stood, unhappy about the attitude or interrogation. Secondly, though Karen stood grieving, it wasn't the place for an intimate conversation.

“Here,” she disclosed, presenting a credit card. “Handle the bill and meet me outside,”

“Is she all right?” the bartender inquired, observing the inebriated stride.

“Yeah,” Alex returned, passing the card. “She's a bit upset, boyfriend problems,”

In kind, the bartender nodded as Alex retreated to Karen's side. Whereupon, he captured a hand and led her outdoors, hoping to speak candidly. Because Stephen and Diana had endured her anger in the past, so going home wasn't an option.

All considered, this conflict was prevalent, though managing it had proved challenging. Which is why Alex suggested a secluded area he and Luis often visited. Somewhere, they could appreciate the solitude and speak openly.

After a bit, headlights pierced the foggy darkness, and as Alex tended a coverlet, Karen's smile stood never-ending. Thankfully, they'd remained stout despite the ample quantities of bourbon. Nevertheless, an awkwardness soon arose as Karen prepared to explain earlier outbursts.

“You're still in love with Luis, aren't you?” he interrogated, looking into her eyes.

Shunning, Karen groaned while fixing her collar.

“I can't say no,” she countered. “I thought I'd put it behind me and made peace, but again, I was wrong.”

From day one, she'd sought to reconcile, but Luis had shown no intentions of forgiveness or compassion. Fittingly, she'd adopted a shrewder attitude in light of his unabated reluctance. Bearing in mind, Alex understood more than she knew.

“I know what you mean,”

“How could you?” she questioned, watching.

Expectedly, Alex smirked.

“I do, believe me,”

Not for nothing, the revelation caught Karen off guard, because if Alex had an interest, she would've known. Given that, she remained mindful, though respectful of his feelings.

“What are you going to do?”

Abruptly, Karen shrugged and grasped the bottle.

“What can I do?” she replied. “You can't force someone to love you, and if friendship is all they offer, accept it and move on.”

Everything considered, Alex stood awed by Karen's openness, but at the end of the day, he still didn't trust her.
© Copyright 2024 Darkscape Entertainment (darkscapemedia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326429-Chapter-20