*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326340-Chapter-10
Rated: E · Chapter · Drama · #2326340
Dark Society
As one might expect, Luis powered through Midtown, enamored by the besieging campus. Not withstanding, South Kensington was bustling with untold tourists. So instead, he used the occasion to visit the Natural History Museum and Wildlife Garden.

From the earliest, the university experience was something he looked forward to, and seeing the sights was only the beginning. It is therefore, he observed as undergraduates gathered along the walkways of Hyde Park. (Notorious university courtyards catering to students and faculty alike). At first glance, it'd become clear that locating Alex would be difficult, so retrieving his phone, he texted his father.

“Where will he be waiting?” he messaged.

Expectedly, Jim took his time to respond, so for now, Luis relaxed, hopeful the masses would somehow dwindle. On a related note, registration also appeared delayed due to the volume of returning scholarship students. Irregardless of that, he gazed throughout the common, feeling like the luckiest man alive. Though, as he daydreamed, Jim's reply came.

“At the Albert Memorial on South Carriage Drive.”

On schedule, Luis arrived at the monument and soon recognized someone with familiar attributes. Upon which, he drew to the curb and lowered the window.

“Alex!” Luis shouted, gesturing.

With a candid squint, Alex seized a minute satchel and advanced.

“How are you?” he greeted, settling into the seat.

Following a hearty handshake and tender embrace, Luis smiled.

“I'm doing well,” he responded. “How long's it been?”

Alex chuckled and adjusted.

“Far too long,”

By some chance, they'd become pressed for time, so Luis careened along Carriage Drive, hoping to save minutes.

“It seems life's been good to you,” Alex mentioned.

Luis tittered, observing traffic.

“I can't complain,”

After several laborious minutes, they parked and readied.

“Look at you,” Luis remarked, noting Alex's professional appearance. “When did you start wearing a sport coat?”

Of course, Alex laughed.

“Since I grew up and became an adult,”

By the same token, it's the exact reason Luis had altered his way of thinking. In the same manner, their parent's ideologies were beliefs each valued, and due to their continual practice, they'd become second nature. In this regard, Luis occupied the curb, beaming as Alex loomed.

“Like old times,” he stated.

Readily, Alex nodded, and together, they trudged to the admissions building. From there, as the sun blazed overhead, Alex gawked into a cloudless blue sky.

“It looks like a warm one,”

“Why do you think I'm going to the beach?” Luis answered.

Without haste, Alex twisted.

“Sounds like a fabulous idea,”

That said, Luis shrugged.

“Why not come along?”

“You don't have to ask twice; I'm there,”

Predictably, the morning remained rambunctious, and as Luis and Alex closed, the crowd seemed to grow. More significant, Alex often acted jittery and somewhat engrossed.

“This is madness,” he uttered, shedding his jacket.

“No worries,” Luis assured. “There's an open council for the freshman class.”

Again, Alex nodded as he and Luis continued across the common.

“By the way,” he added. “Aren't you majoring in law?”

Simply, Alex snickered and gaped.

“Didn't your father tell you?”

“No,” Luis answered.

Without another word, the two moved inside. Not surprisingly, Imperial embodied an enticing and compelling world, so as the boys accessed the front desk, excitement flourished.

“I'll speak with the administrator.” Luis said, retreating.

All at once, Alex agreed and began arranging papers as his phone resonated. (Something that'd occurred often that morning). Though, following a brief, but detailed conversation, he again appeared guarded.

“Did you find out anything?” Alex queried, shielding his phone.

“We need to sign some documents,” Luis explained, gesturing.

Irritated, Alex scowled.

“All this stress for a signature?"

By chance, there weren't many students majoring in prelaw, which allowed time to draft comparable schedules.

“Good morning, gentlemen.” The councilman greeted, extending a hand. “How can I help you?”

Directly, the boys marched.

“We're here to enroll,” Alex advised.

The gentleman nodded, gesturing.

“And, what's your major?”

“Prelaw,” he professed, turning to Luis.

“Both of you?”

“Yes,” Luis confirmed. “Plus, we'd like to sync our registers.”

After a short time, they received various agendas and assignments, not knowing that they'd arranged classes with two of Imperial's strictest mentors, Schneider & Tollis. Just the same, the boys stood pleased and happily verified the calendars.

“You prefer studying with Schneider?” The clerk questioned. “He seems abstract and not well-liked.”

Gradually, Alex came nearer.

“That's why we're here; to learn from the best,”

The clerk smiled.

“That's an admirable attitude, and I hope you do well,”

Once more, Luis marveled at Alex's knowledge of school procedures. Although, at that instant, he'd again receive another call.

“Excuse me,”

Squinting, Luis nodded as Alex stepped into the hall, seemingly reserved. Although, thereafter, he'd return, trembling.

“Are you all right?” Luis demanded, staring.

Slowly, Alex pocketed the phone and contemplated.

“Yeah, I'm fine,”

“Then,” Luis requested. “Why are you acting so strange?”

Oddly enough, Alex lamented and again sifted through personals.

“Jim didn't tell you everything, did he?”

"About Karen?”

Suddenly, Alex pursed, not wanting to provoke an emotional response.

“Yeah,” he confessed. “I'm sorry, but she's on the way.”

True to form, Luis groaned and appeared nervous.

“I wasn't expecting that,”

Likewise, Alex grimaced, settling a hand.

“There's more,”

Naturally, Luis also seemed puzzled.

“Karen's still attending sermons,” Alex confessed.

Luis recoiled, remembering.

“And the coven?”

“Yeah,” Alex added. “Kyle, Logan, Sienna, Dena, and Lesley, everyone.”

Double-quick, eyes skewed as Alex's attention diverted. And before Luis realized it, a familiar voice echoed.

“Fancy meeting you two here,” Karen announced, looming.
© Copyright 2024 Darkscape Entertainment (darkscapemedia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326340-Chapter-10